Thread: 722.3 Valve Body rebuild

722.3 Valve Body rebuild

Cheers all!

I just about finished the transmission rebuild, mostly in one piece, quite happy. Now to the valve body... I'm a little uneasy about rebuilding these pieces, so many little parts, but, it is so filthy, I have to do this. And now I've separated upper and lower sections.

As careful as I was, few plastic valve balls did get stuck to the plate and now, I'm a little puzzled where exactly do these go. Here is why... Apparently, there are variations of these valve bodies, and number of these valve balls range from 17-19 (depending on manual, most call for 18).

Mine has 17, I know I didn't loose any... So, now the question is this:

What is the location for the ball to be omitted?

This is from factory print out:

valvebody_factory by Duh_Vinci, on Flickr

555 I don't have at all, I guess variations per model...? Valve balls count on the pic above is 18 (I have 17)

Now, I've looked through 3 different manuals, including ATSG, but not enough info... I found this PDF, not sure who's print this is, but this is the only one talks about 17 vs 18 balls:

valvebody_aftermarket_manual by Duh_Vinci, on Flickr

The area with the red arrow above, I don't even have a place/location in mine that resembles the ball seat, so I'm counting that one out. It does however, talk about location 14a, where it says the ball at that location was omitted...

Would it be logical then to assume, that in my application, if no ball seat provision at the area of red arrow above, and 14a ball possibly omitted per image above, my 17 balls will be fitted as such

WP_20181027_15_55_09_Pro by Duh_Vinci, on Flickr

Yellow - omitted...? As you can tell, I'm trying to figure this out by method of elimination. Dealership folks said there is no info in their database that specifies locations or the number of valve balls based on the VIN...

Would there be any negative effect if I was to buy the extra ball, 18th from the dealership and insert it into that yellow arrow location?

Kindly thank you for your feedback!

Regards,
    D
    Last edited by Duh_Vinci; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:21 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duh_Vinci For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

Re: 722.3 Valve Body rebuild

I have no technical input here whatsoever. I'd call Marc at Sun Valley Mercedes and see if he has a .3 valve body and what would be his price, using yours as a core. Pack it all up with ziplock bags and call it a day. But that's me.

GL

maw

4. The Following User Says Thank You to maw1124 For This Useful Post:

TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

Maw, indeed a great option, or even try to see if anyone on the forum still has 1st gear start valve body for sale. I do however, want to at least attempt to try to complete the project, just to prove to myself that I could! The good part, is that it is easy to remove from the car with transmission in place, just few bolts...

Regards,
    D

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duh_Vinci For This Useful Post:

maw1124 (3 Weeks Ago), TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

Not sure how much this will help, but I know at least on the older 3 speed trans manual I have it specifically mentions the diametre of pertinent balls in the valve body, I can only guess it is done as it can be very easy to mix these up. So it might be time to get the calipers and match each ball to it's specific spot in the valve body to make sure you have the "base line" correct at least. I think you will need the specific Benz trans manual for your car though. Try these guys, they have tons of manuals: www.books4cars.com

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daantjie For This Useful Post:

Duh_Vinci (3 Weeks Ago), TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

Thank you very much, appreciate your time indeed! These are all the same size, measured and verified with dealer, ordered 5 pcs today, just to have (as according to parts dept, world's stock of these valve balls for 722.3 was only 11 pieces, now down to 6 avail with my order =)

Regards,
    D

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duh_Vinci For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

D, you are delving into depths almost never seen by 99.44% of forum members. I don't have an answer, but next time I split a VB, I'll try to count balls and take a photo.

How did the VB look inside? Any broken springs, or excessive debris / sludge?

Question: What is the part number of your VB? This will be printed in ink on the bottom side. For the R129, it should be 140-270-50-07 or 140-270-67-07, assuming it's original / stock.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Duh_Vinci (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    D, you are delving into depths almost never seen by 99.44% of forum members. I don't have an answer, but next time I split a VB, I'll try to count balls and take a photo.

How did the VB look inside? Any broken springs, or excessive debris / sludge?...
    Cheers Dave!

Maybe I should have done just the transmission first, then after a week or so of driving tackled the valve body, but I wanted to clean it out while it was off the car... Inside was fairly clean, some sludge, but not terrible, only in few crevices.

No broken springs, no pieces of any kind. Most of the pieces I just cleaned and reinstalled back in. I replaced both, K1 and K2 accumulator springs/valves, unbelievable how cheap those things are. Replaced all teflon fittings.

Yes, if you could, when you do split one open, I would indeed be interested to see what's inside of others VB!

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    ...Question: What is the part number of your VB? This will be printed in ink on the bottom side. For the R129, it should be 140-270-50-07 or 140-270-67-07, assuming it's original / stock...
    May not be original/stock, since no ink numbers anywhere, and I did look at the initial pictures before cleaning, no ink, just these 140 277 07 01

20181029_180644 by Duh_Vinci, on Flickr

Now, to the "mystery" missing ball... There are 2 types of ball seatings in the valve body: cast surface and machined surface. All the machined surfaced ball seats have small orifices for fluid passing. Some full orifices, some partial... All but ONE, and that is #14a corresponding to the one mentioned in the drawing above cut-in damper "R"

P1010941 by Duh_Vinci, on Flickr

So I believe this is the one that is was intentionally not included into this assembly. Even if I insert the 18th ball into 14a location, I believe it would do nothing but just seat there and "bathe" in the pretty red fluid

Regards,
    D

EDIT: Found the old picture when I was changing transmission fluid for the firs time, cant read but the last 6 numbers (...70 67 07), so safe to assume what I have is 140-270-67-07
    Last edited by Duh_Vinci; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:04 PM. Reason: Found the valve body part # 140-270-67-07