Thread: Wagon Wanted

Rifle123@cox.net

Wagon Wanted

Guten tag to all with thanks for this site and all your contributions. I've lurked here for a couple of years. First-my manners: I'm a retired District of Columbia Ass't US Att'y and live in Northern Virginia. I own a 92 500E,WABEA36E5NB694959 (hopefully I got that right), ex-Chuck Landenburger, maintained by Rick Ellinger in Rockville, MD. I had not previously been interested in Mercedes even though my father had taken European delivery of a 250SL. I favored driving older entry-level Porsches, bought hopefully at their depreciation nadir; but was intrigued by a magazine article describing 500E Porsche/Mercedes history. After driving Chuck's car home from Phoenix, AZ I was hooked on the 500E and, ultimately, on 124s generally. I soon bought a 95 wagon from a local MBCA member. My younger son is a car-guy, restoring a 59 VW Beetle; but with a growing family I gave him the wagon. Now, the reason for this post: I want another Mercedes Wagon. However, I sorely lack the technical expertise of most of you. Therefore, I seek your advice and recommendations about the reliability and ownership satisfaction pros and cons of post-124 wagons. What do you think I should look for? Thanks in advance for your help in my search. I appreciate it. Gratefully, Rifle123

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rifle123 For This Useful Post:

Jlaa (2 Weeks Ago)

Re: Wagon Wanted

Go big or go home, E63 AMG Wagon

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by Rifle123 View Post
    Therefore, I seek your advice and recommendations about the reliability and ownership satisfaction pros and cons of post-124 wagons. What do you think I should look for? Thanks in advance for your help in my search. I appreciate it. Gratefully, Rifle123
    I think first you need to provide more details about what's important to you. Do you need to use the 3rd row seats, and if so, will adults occupy them? Do you care about horsepower at all? Need all-wheel-drive for winter use? What's your price range, or price cap? Etc, etc...

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

Rifle123@cox.net

rifle123 back again. Thanks daantjie and gsxr for your quick responses and for the welcome. Daantjie: an e63 AMG wagon may be too much for my budget. Recall, I'm retired and on a government pension; so I would hope to spend not more than $25K and preferably less. GSXR asked several cogent questions. I really liked my 124 wagon and used it like a family hack; for local errands and for family trips, usually not more than about 500-700 miles. Third seat usually folded to make room for baggage and goodies for the grandkids. All-wheel-drive is not really necessary for me here in Northern Virginia using it the way I would because if the weather is that unpleasant we either stay inside or wait for the streets to be plowed. Hope this gives a better idea of what I'm looking for: a reliable, comfortable up-to-date replacement for my 95. Thanks again. rifle123

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rifle123 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago)

First of all, welcome!

As a die-hard wagon guy (my first Mercedes was a 1979 300TD W123 wagon) I applaud your choice of vehicles. I love wagons as they provide the ease of driving a sedan with the convenience of carrying space for both people and things should I desire it.

Also, as a local government employee I can identify with your situation regarding fiscal responsibilities as well.

I currently drive a 1998 W210 E320 wagon. I find them to be very economical to buy, maintain and operate. They're from a period where electronics haven't taken over the chassis and are easy and simple to maintain, especially from a DIY standpoint if you choose to do so. There are many of them still in the market at very reasonable prices. If you are willing to travel outside of your area you can find one below $5k in very good condition without a lot of effort. As with any Mercedes model, later is better, so I would limit my search to 2001-2003 (facelift) models. They're a little better appointed and have some updates over the original models that make them a bit nicer.

Focus your search on the south and west, as the W210 chassis did not weather winters well in areas that use salt on the roads. If you do pursue this model you’ll see that cars north of the Mason-Dixon Line don’t usually age well. That being said, there are a lot of these throughout the south and west that are in excellent condition.

While you might not want to go as far as I did when I bought my 1998 wagon with 170k on the clock, but to give you an example, it was a single owner car from Florida, dealer maintained, excellent condition and I paid $3300 for it last year. It's required almost nothing in the way of maintenance since I bought it and I drive it daily, averaging about 22 mpg in a 50-50 mix of highway and surface street driving.

If you have any questions, let me know. Always glad to assist a fellow wagoneer!

Dan
    Last edited by LWB250; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:58 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LWB250 For This Useful Post:

maw1124 (2 Weeks Ago), Trae (2 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Rifle123 View Post
    Guten tag to all with thanks for this site and all your contributions. I've lurked here for a couple of years. First-my manners: I'm a retired District of Columbia Ass't US Att'y and live in Northern Virginia. I own a 92 500E,WABEA36E5NB694959 (hopefully I got that right), ex-Chuck Landenburger, maintained by Rick Ellinger in Rockville, MD. Gratefully, Rifle123
    Hi Add....nice to see you show up here! If you recall, I chased you down a couple years back on Rt 236 (Little River Turnpike). You have definitely come to the right place for an informed opinion on Mercedes wagons. I too really like the W210 wagons. How is your 500E holding up???
    Greg
    '94 E500
    '03 E320 4Matic Wagon (W210)
    '08 G55

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Yup, everything Dan said above.

Assuming you're not interested in locating another 124 wagon, I'd seriously consider the 210 or 211. The only thing to beware of is the late 211 wagons with M272 6-cyl engine, if it hasn't had the balance shaft problem yet, it probably will eventually ($$$$). The 211 has a lot of neat features over the 210 without a drastic price premium, but the 211 is significantly more complex / computerized. Either way, plan on investing in a Star SDS C3 for DIY diagnostics.

Your budget would allow moving into a 212 wagon, which I would seriously consider if you're willing to pay the premium. Same caveat about computers and SDS for diagnostics.

If you don't need AWD, try to skip models with 4Matic. Driving in snow or ice, the 4Matic is a huge help, so if you hit the ski slopes, that's another factor to consider.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

daantjie (2 Weeks Ago), LWB250 (2 Weeks Ago)

E500E Guru

Another Howdy from the outer reaches of NoVA!

Here's a relevant thread on the W211
    https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12004
    2014 MB E63S, 2008 Tundra, 2006 Lotus Exige S, 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser, 1996 Ford Bronco, and some other interesting and not so interesting vehicles.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ace10 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), LWB250 (2 Weeks Ago)

To further pile on to Dave’s comments, if you consider a W210 I would forego 4Matic if possible. While the later (post W124) versions are much more reliable and less expensive to operate, they increase the complexity of the front suspension, which means that repairs like struts and axle shafts are far more involved and expensive.

Dan

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LWB250 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by LWB250 View Post
    To further pile on to Dave’s comments, if you consider a W210 I would forego 4Matic if possible. While the later (post W124) versions are much more reliable and less expensive to operate, they increase the complexity of the front suspension, which means that repairs like struts and axle shafts are far more involved and expensive.

Dan
    The w124 e320s are fairly cheap, but you obviously already know that.

I daily drive a w123 wagon for about 20 years and am hot rodding a w124 wagon with om606. My next move is a Maggolina roof tent for family camping Joshua Tree, Mojave etc in the 123.

Anyway the 210 is probably a good compromise.

Good luck. Wagons are much more roomy, drivable and efficient than an suv.

87 300TD om606 compound turbo
    94 e420
    85 300tdt

Here is a very cool 5.4 swapped W210 wagon in FL for reasonable money:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...0593860823631/
    1995 E36 wagon

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ccrelan For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), sheward (2 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by ccrelan View Post
    Here is a very cool 5.4 swapped W210 wagon in FL for reasonable money:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...0593860823631/
    Interesting. That car, if the listing is legit, is about 30-40 minutes away from me. I'm wondering why my FB search didn't pick it up? I would add that the photograph of the car was not taken in Florida. Of that I'm almost sure.

Frankencar. That scares me.

Dan

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by LWB250 View Post
    Frankencar. That scares me.
    Awww, Dan... consider it an adventure, with some challenges along the way! It would be a fun car once you get sorted whatever the PO didn't sort. Price is downright reasonable.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

sheward (2 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Awww, Dan... consider it an adventure, with some challenges along the way! It would be a fun car once you get sorted whatever the PO didn't sort. Price is downright reasonable.
    Mrs. Dan would not drive a wagon. If it's got more than two seats, she's not interested. An E55 wagon would be wasted on me. I've only punched my W210 wagon enough to get the intake manifold flap to work once since I've owned it.

Dan

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LWB250 For This Useful Post:

a777fan (2 Weeks Ago), gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), maw1124 (1 Week Ago), sheward (2 Weeks Ago)

E500E Guru

I don't think the OP is looking for an S124, but since clean ones don't come up in my searched often, I'm posting it up for general forum consumption.

https://www.mbca.org/classified-ad/1...lector-7376522

1994 Mercedes E320 wagon - 87k miles - collector -$11800

Year: 1994
    Model: E320 wagon
    Exterior Color: black
    Interior Color: tan
    Body: Other
    Mileage: 87,100
    State: Massachusetts
    Phone: 508-863-2986
    Email: tomtramway@charter.net

1994 Mercedes E320 wagon. BOOKS, TOOLS, CLEAN CARFAX, LEATHER, HEATED SEATS, SUNROOF, HEAT, AC - ALL WORKS. W124 Collector owned. Color combo, low mileage (real), heated leather makes this wagon a gem. Enjoy as is or take it to pristine. 11800,- OBO
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 MB E63S, 2008 Tundra, 2006 Lotus Exige S, 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser, 1996 Ford Bronco, and some other interesting and not so interesting vehicles.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ace10 For This Useful Post:

LWB250 (1 Week Ago), maw1124 (1 Week Ago)

Wagon Love

Long time since I've posted here but great to see the place is still rockin. I'm throwing my hat into the ring for the S212 wagon, not least 'cause I got one E63 version is an absolute monster BUT the AMG suspension is not so easy to live with on typical rutted, pot-holed roads in my jurisdiction. Hence why I swapped a C63 for the E-Class wagon; no more bent rims and far more relaxed driving. Build quality of the 212 is very solid, semi-autonomous driving gadgets can take 'em or leave 'em, lots of wood and leather, throne-comfy seats, tons of room, very quiet on the road, its a winner IMHO. But just when I was about to relax into a state of smug satisfaction, MB Canada announced availability of C43 and E53 Wagons for 2019!

Meanwhile, just made the swap to winter tires. Going old-school (temporarily) with the Colgan bra for a road trip to the mountains where flying gravel is sure to leave its mark
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dean need2speed
    "Lead, follow, or better yet, get out of the way."

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to need2speed For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Week Ago), maw1124 (1 Week Ago)