Thread: OWNER - msq (E60 AMG)

OWNER - msq (E60 AMG)

My ~4 year search for an E60 AMG is over. I bought one and it just cleared U.S. Customs this past Friday.

First, special thanks to Rouven and Jonathan (Blue Ridge). As I narrowed my search down to a couple of cars they were very helpful digging in and helping me do homework to provide important data/insights that helped me decide to pull the trigger.

The E60 AMG’s I looked at fell into 3 different categories:
    1. 957 Codes E60 AMG’s (i.e. E60 AMG ordered with 957 AMG Technik Package)
    2. Aftermarket E60 AMG’s (only ones that were done by AMG Germany that were sent by the owner after the fact to AMG, but Mercedes has no E60 AMG order or docs associated with it as an E60 AMG)
    3. Ones that were built/converted “as new” E60 AMG’s by Mercedes/AMG, built/converted as new E60 in Germany before delivery to owner, without 957 code, but Mercedes has full documentation of the build for E60 AMG and Mercedes has special Production Order on file for it as such.

I bought the midnight blue one that was for sale outside of Geneva Switzerland, which fell into category 3 above.

Any well documented/cared for car with known history from any of the above 3 categories would have been equally good for me.

Some background:

This particular E60 had a special Production Order on record at Mercedes for it as an E60 AMG. It was built/converted as new by Mercedes/AMG from a 1994 E500 body type.

Some details on this E60:
    - Color is “Midnight Blue” (904) with Royal Blue interior (272)
    - Car has ~47K miles (~75,600 km) on the odometer
    - Facelift model (it was ordered and built in 2nd half of 93 as a “new 94” according to Bill of Sale) built at the Sindelfingen plant
    - The original owner ordered the car in 2nd half of 1993 as a new midnight blue 1994 E500 body type with E60 AMG conversion and additional options, and Mercedes built it for him (with AMG of course) to his spec
    - It spent its life in Switzerland, first with a Banker and then most recently with a Swiss collector (who bought it at auction for crazy $$ in 2017)
    - I have a bunch of great documentation on the car (original Bill of Sale, signed documents from Mercedes on its originality that include the Production Order for E60 AMG , stamped service book, Swiss Registrations, etc.)
    - Original owner paid a ton for it in ’93 ($272K USD in todays dollars)
    - It would have been less expensive had he ordered it as 957 code
    - He ordered some items that would not come standard with a 957 code

I was going to pull the trigger on one of the low mileage 957 codes I looked at and would have paid in the same ballpark. It was manufactured in Germany but spent its life in Japan but I was uncomfortable with lack of documentation and the fact that after it was brought from Japan back to Europe and had to be “deblinged” to return it closer to original.

While doing homework on the car I bought, and after all the photos of certain areas of the car Jonathan wanted to see, I had a local Mercedes dealer in Switzerland do a thorough PPI (measure SLS system, compression test, paint check, rear blind, accident check, etc.). They gave me a signed report from both their Director and Head of Operations. After reporting on all the things I wanted checked, the report said “In summary the vehicle is in perfect condition considering its age and it has been perfectly preserved”.
    Jonathans thumbs up, plus Rouvens insight/homework, plus that sealed the deal for me.

The car is on its way to Jonathan’s shop for a laundry list of proactive items I plan to have done (e.g. oiler tube replacement, fuel lines, all fluids and filters including SLS fluids & filter etc.). Like many of you, I have always been a nut about proactive maintenance on my cars.

Once I get the car it will go in climate control storage until the late Spring. Thanks again to the great help from Rouven and Jonathan. This forum has also been very helpful and was a great resource in my search.

Open invitation: Any of you who are regulars here are welcome to come check out the car here in Massachusetts if you are ever in Massachusetts.

Some pictures below:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by msq; 1 Week Ago at 07:43 PM.

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to msq For This Useful Post:

500AMM (6 Days Ago), 600Eric (3 Days Ago), 8899 (1 Week Ago), a777fan (1 Week Ago), ace10 (1 Week Ago), Bogeyman (1 Week Ago), Efraim (1 Week Ago), Eno (1 Week Ago), gsxr (1 Week Ago), Hakie (1 Week Ago), imdbui (1 Week Ago), janos_z (1 Week Ago), Jlaa (1 Week Ago), maw1124 (1 Week Ago), mercepor (4 Days Ago), mwaldron (6 Days Ago), Rouven036 (1 Week Ago), sheward (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago), Trae (1 Week Ago), ZombieBranz (1 Week Ago)

E500E Guru

Re: E60 AMG - Cleared U.S. Customs and Open Invitation

Many congratulations!

Looks like it's this car that were fawning over a couple of months ago:

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11313

Quote Originally Posted by ace10 View Post
    ... That is one superbly good looking automobile...
    #NotHyperbole

I was born and raised in MA. I don't get back often, but if you're south of Boston or out on the Cape, I would put your garage on my next itinerary.
    2014 MB E63S, 2008 Tundra, 2006 Lotus Exige S, 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser, 1996 Ford Bronco, and some other interesting and not so interesting vehicles.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ace10 For This Useful Post:

msq (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by ace10 View Post
    I was born and raised in MA. I don't get back often, but if you're south of Boston or out on the Cape, I would put your garage on my next itinerary.
    I spend most summer weekends on the Cape so yes it will be with me (garaged on weekends there) and if you are down there you should come take it for a ride.

Yes it was that car (some of the things in that description when it was for sale were not quite right....English was not the sellers first language.....seller was good guy and very transparent....also docs from MB are great!)
    Last edited by msq; 1 Week Ago at 04:35 PM. Reason: Pic upload fixed

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msq For This Useful Post:

ace10 (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Congrats! Sounds like an awesome car. Im right down the road in Rhode Island and would definitely love to check your car out some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1992 500E - 215k miles

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IslandMon For This Useful Post:

msq (1 Week Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by IslandMon View Post
    Congrats! Sounds like an awesome car. Im right down the road in Rhode Island and would definitely love to check your car out some time.
    Please do. After Jonathan is done with it, I will have it shipped here and it will go in climate controlled garage until roads are swept here in late Spring, so if it ends up here before any snow, or after that in later in the Spring 2019 you are welcome.
    Last edited by msq; 1 Week Ago at 07:47 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to msq For This Useful Post:

IslandMon (1 Week Ago)

Re: OWNER - msq (E60 AMG)

Congrats on a great car and enjoy it as much as possible!
    I have same ‘92 500E on 904 Dunkelblau as a restoration project.
    Looking forward for more interior photos and tell us how the E60 AMG engine feels on the highway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eno For This Useful Post:

msq (1 Week Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Eno View Post
    I have same ‘92 500E on 904 Dunkelblau as a restoration project.
    ..... tell us how the E60 AMG engine feels on the highway
    Thanks. I did not realize until I found the link on this forum regarding colors/quantity of W124.036's that so few Dunkelblau (904) ones were made. Assuming the the link on this forum for color codes is correct and assuming I am reading it correctly, there were 12 W124.036's of this color code made (only one came to the U.S.), so your car is definitely worth restoring.

When I started looking I wanted this color but did not know how many were made, so it was pure luck that I found this.
    I am looking forward to comparing how this feels on the highway vs. the C43 I had for years. I really liked the torque on the C43 and the uniformity of it through higher speeds. I have no clue how this will feel.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to msq For This Useful Post:

Eno (1 Week Ago), gsxr (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Glad that you found the right car for you! Looking forward to see some more pictures of it and hope you enjoy the ownership!
    More than happy to have supported you in the decision making process.
    Best regards Rouven
    W123, W124, R129, W163, W201, R230

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Rouven036 For This Useful Post:

msq (1 Week Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Photos attached to original post.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

msq (1 Week Ago), Rouven036 (6 Days Ago)

maw,

Congrats!!!

You had the ‘BALLS & BUCKS’ to purchase what most of us on this site are yearning for but will never have and can only ‘DREAM ABOUT’.

Being on the wrong side of the pond if I’ll be lucky to even see one much less drive one.

My only chance is I could be a POWER BALL WINNER!!! Yeah!!!

I’ve asked GOD for help. He did speak to me.

GOD SAID, “Terry I have heard you, I would like to help you BUT FIRST you have to BUY a TICKET!!!”
    Terry

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TerryA For This Useful Post:

Eno (1 Week Ago), gsxr (1 Week Ago), msq (1 Week Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by TerryA View Post
    maw,

Congrats!!!

You had the ‘BALLS & BUCKS’ to purchase what most of us on this site are yearning for but will never have and can only ‘DREAM ABOUT’.

Being on the wrong side of the pond if I’ll be lucky to even see one much less drive one.

My only chance is I could be a POWER BALL WINNER!!! Yeah!!!

I’ve asked GOD for help. He did speak to me.

GOD SAID, “Terry I have heard you, I would like to help you BUT FIRST you have to BUY a TICKET!!!”
    Thanks.

Ha, Ha, that is funny! Although I have to now go buy ticket to fill the hole it created in my bank account!

.....actually when this car came up you made a comment in the thread referenced above, something to the effect of "someone on this board should take a run at it". I had dug into a number of these and saw this on Hemmings when it was put up and saw the thread here and thought "good idea, I am going to dig into this one".
    Last edited by msq; 1 Week Ago at 10:58 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to msq For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Week Ago)

I am sooooooo jealous!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to r44raven For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Week Ago)

A very beautiful car, 904 is a great and rare color for the .036s.
    Once yours arrives to the US. it will be the 2nd here in the US with that color combo, but yours is a unicorn, as it has a 6 liter engine !

Congrats !

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stevester 500E For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Week Ago), msq (1 Week Ago), nocfn (1 Week Ago)

One thing I forgot to mention, if anyone is looking to import a car (in my case bring car from Europe to U.S.), I would highly recommend John James & Company out of Georgia (US) https://johnsjames.com
    The person I dealt with there's name was Alex Waca, he was very good. If at some point you are considering importing a car, PM me and I will get you his e-mail.
    They were very professional, experienced, best price, responsive etc.
    I had no knowledge or relationship with them before but after looking into many importers/shippers/brokers and getting many quotes, they were the best.

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to msq For This Useful Post:

600Eric (3 Days Ago), ace10 (6 Days Ago), gerryvz (6 Days Ago), gsxr (6 Days Ago), sheward (6 Days Ago), TerryA (3 Days Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I wonder if Jonno knows them / has worked with them?

30. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

TerryA (3 Days Ago)

I am not sure, I will ask him, yea they are in GA so maybe. I know he has a potential source to help me get the car from his shop up to me when he is done on the proactive maintenance he is doing.

These guys (John James & Co) didn't come up with any hidden fees or play shell games with costs, they were quite transparent. Doing it RoRo (Roll on Roll off) like they do with new cars was significantly less than Container.

I am glad to help anyone on this forum/share my experience if they ever consider bringing a car in, in order to help save them time/$$/hassle. It was weeks worth of homework/calls/inquiries for me to "get it right". However now that I had to do it once, I realize it can be done relatively inexpensively, quickly and without hassle if you pick the right firm, understand the rules, and get right paperwork in place and have right back up paperwork ready if that becomes needed (e.g. proof it's the original engine etc.).

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to msq For This Useful Post:

ace10 (6 Days Ago), Eno (6 Days Ago), gsxr (6 Days Ago), TerryA (3 Days Ago)

If I may ask, was the U.S Customs expensive for the car?
    Is it based on production year and the engine size?

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Eno For This Useful Post:

TerryA (3 Days Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Eno View Post
    If I may ask, was the U.S Customs expensive for the car?
    Is it based on production year and the engine size?
    No worries about asking, it's a fair question.
    Not really expensive, not too bad.

Roughly:

- 2.5% of value of car (so unfortunately for me this ended up being a much bigger % of the total import costs than normal because of cost of the car....but on a $30K car that would be $750 USD)
    - Roughly $500 USD in "Entry Fees & Service"

It's based on the price on the Bill of Sale for the car.
    If you bring a car in that is 25 years old or older for personal use (not to resell), pick the right importer and follow the rules/forms it is more straightforward than I otherwise thought.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to msq For This Useful Post:

Eno (6 Days Ago), gsxr (6 Days Ago), Jlaa (6 Days Ago), TerryA (3 Days Ago)

Oh ok, that’s not bad at all.
    I have paid customs fees in my country for two 1992 500E’s from two different GCC countries.

One for 1700 USD and the other one higher around 2300 USD due to the Chambers of Commerce orginal vehicle certificate value was higher than the “baseline 1700 usd, plus port and agent fees to clear the containers.

Anyways, imo if we love a certain type of car, we will bring it in, no matter the costs, it’s passion.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Eno For This Useful Post:

TerryA (3 Days Ago)