Thread: Inner boots for CV joints on rear axle shafts

Inner boots for CV joints on rear axle shafts

Hi Everyone!

I am after inner boots for the prop shaft on my 500E. Does anyone know of any? Having looked around they only seem to be available if you buy a new prop shaft, not on their own. Has anyone got any to sell or know of anywhere I can get my hands on them?
    Also does anyone know the part numbers for them and how many do I need?

Thank you in advance!

Steve

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Delves For This Useful Post:

TerryA (3 Weeks Ago)

Re: Prop shaft inner boots

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Delves View Post
    Hi Everyone!

I am after inner boots for the prop shaft on my 500E. Does anyone know of any? Having looked around they only seem to be available if you buy a new prop shaft, not on their own. Has anyone got any to sell or know of anywhere I can get my hands on them?
    Also does anyone know the part numbers for them and how many do I need?

Thank you in advance!

Steve
    Could you describe more precisely exactly what it is you were looking for? Are you referring to the bushings in the ends of the propeller shaft? Are you referring to the elastic sleeve that covers the spline joint where the front and rear propeller shaft sections telescope together? Are you talking about the bearing, dust shields, and rubber support just in front of the universal joint?

Or, do I have this all wrong and you were actually inquiring about parts for the rear axle shafts? Generally speaking, all of these parts are readily available. The part numbers of many of them have changed a number of times and that adds a little confusion to the mix. Please describe more of what you’re looking for in and I’ll try to get answers for you.
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Klink For This Useful Post:

TerryA (3 Weeks Ago)

I’m going to assume they’re talking about the rubber boot that covers the spline at the carrier bearing. If so, it’s available as part of the bearing kit as well as a separate part, number 2024110497.

Dan

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LWB250 For This Useful Post:

500AMM (3 Weeks Ago), Klink (3 Weeks Ago)

Hi guys thanks for the advice.

its the rear axle boots I need the outer and inner, I need two of both. Any ideas? I can find the outer ones no problem but interested I cannot find.....

steve

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Delves For This Useful Post:

Klink (3 Weeks Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Ditto what Klink said... Steve, do you mean the axle half-shafts between the differential and the rear wheels? The rear inner boot kit appears to be NLA, however you can still buy the boot separately (samiam44 recently discovered the outer boot is the same).

Dan is correct, for the propeller shaft (driveshaft between transmission and diff), the only boot is the one in the center, and that is still available separately.

EDIT: Steve posted as I was typing. See above, the outer boot should be the same as the inner. I'll update the thread title to reduce confusion.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Klink (3 Weeks Ago)

Re: Inner boots for CV joints on rear axle shafts

Does anyone have the part number?

Does anyone have the part number?
    they replied 202-411-04-97

Admin edit: This part number is for the driveshaft boot, not axle CV joint boots.
    Last edited by nocfn; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:06 PM. Reason: THANKS MYSTERIOUS ADMIN!
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

Having looked on the net I cannot find anywhere selling these boots. Does anyone have any ideas?

thanks

Steve

I have two MB kits for a 400E without ASR. From recent discussion I understand the axles and therefor the boots for a non ASR car are slightly smaller in diameter at the axle end. I want to say 1 or 2mm from memory. It seems to me that these are soft enough to stretch over slightly larger axles and may be a solution to unavailable parts if that is the case. The no.s for the kits I have are 124 350 08 37. Each kit contains 1 boot, new bolts, 2 clamps and a tube of grease. I do not know if these kits are for the inner or outer areas. They are available if interested.

drew
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles
    93 500e 179,000 miles sold
    92 500e 110,000 miles sold

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

The outer boot is 129-357-01-91 for ASR axles. samiam44 says the inner boot is identical.

The non-ASR axle shafts are 25mm, ASR axle shafts are 32mm, and 7mm is quite a difference... I don't know if the smaller boots would stretch well over the larger shaft. (?)

samiam was just researching this last week, hopefully he'll chime in here shortly.

Attached Images Attached Images

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

500AMM (3 Weeks Ago), sheward (3 Weeks Ago)

Yes, 7mm is considerable. I will look for something of that diameter and see how they tolerate it for knowledge sake.

drew
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles

E500E Resto God
    Hierarki-Man

outer boot was originally a 129 parts number (A1293570191) for the axles with ASR.I did search around..and as far as i remember,i found out you could use the 210 number also in the EPC..which i do reckon is for the axles without ASR.., :A2103570091 ,which was replaced by >A2103570191, here you can use the Febi bilstein parts(Febi #30965)...as i did.The parts in the Febi Bilstein box was original MB parts..with partsnumber ground off.Febi Bilstein number 30965

The inner boot is : A1243500737
    I have this type of boot in my spares bin..as i did manage to find an aftermarked one(Meyle actually..so..before you talk down on this part...it did not smell like harbour freight..and it felt like it was of very nice quality..at least by feel),i do not have this particular partsnumber here at the moment.,anyways, i ended up buying to new "very little " used shafts that were in mint condition

Sorry for the messy post...i will try and find out more specific about the parts i have in my spares bin.

Did you by the way ask this question on facebook today?on w124 enthusiasts worldwide?I do reckon i saw this particular question there today..but i was at work..and could not reply.
    Greetings,Stefan
    1992 w124 500e "Blackbeauty"
    1989 w201 190e 2.5-16 Evo spec "Evoltwin"
    2003 Ford Focus Rs (Sold )

19. The Following User Says Thank You to lowman For This Useful Post:

500AMM (3 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    The outer boot is 129-357-01-91 for ASR axles. samiam44 says the inner boot is identical.

The non-ASR axle shafts are 25mm, ASR axle shafts are 32mm, and 7mm is quite a difference... I don't know if the smaller boots would stretch well over the larger shaft. (?)

samiam was just researching this last week, hopefully he'll chime in here shortly.

hi gsxr, my car is the 1993 500E vin: WDB1240361B752353 will this part number fit that car?

thanks

steve

Hi Stefan yes! That was me ! Lol!

steve

Hi Stefan! Yes that was me!

Steve

I was able to push this 30mm shift knob through using a bit of soap. It went fairly easily and does not seem to expand the rubber to a point of failure although this is difficult to ascertain. I would feel comfortable using these in the absence of the correct part.

Using Lowmans post of similarity in part no.s I believe what I have are inner kits.

drew
    Last edited by sheward; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:39 PM.
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sheward For This Useful Post:

500AMM (3 Weeks Ago), gsxr (3 Weeks Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

hi gsxr, my car is the 1993 500E vin: WDB1240361B752353 will this part number fit that car?
    Steve, yes, according to what samiam44 found last week - the outer boot 129-357-01-91 should also work for the inner boot. Note the inner p/n that is NLA is a kit which includes additional parts, available separately (clamp, bolts, etc). All this is in the EPC, Group 35, Subgroup 030.

Note the 210 number lowman mentioned is specified for very late build chassis (as of chassis C241287, which would be late 1995 build). EPC screen shot attached, see the footnote that says to measure clamp width. I don't know what the difference is, or if the late style booth will replace an early style boot, etc.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

500AMM (3 Weeks Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by sheward View Post
    I was able to push this 30mm shift knob through using a bit of soap. It went fairly easily and does not seem to expand the rubber to a point of failure although this is difficult to ascertain. I would feel comfortable using these in the absence of the correct part.
    Good to know - thanks, Drew! Nice photos too.

E500E Guru

Ok,

So the boot- I believe the outer Oetiker clamp says 78mm. So it's a 75mm boot which fits a 32mm axle shaft. I've just been through this- Dave is incorrect. The boot kit is on world-wide back order, but is NOT NLA. The boot inboard and outboard are the same. So just order up 2 and you can choose your favorite Grease. I would strip the axle of paint(outboard joints get rusty). I just did 1 of 2. The inboard joint sees a much higher shock load than the outer joint- the shaft in torsion, softens the blow. The inner CV joints are available dirt cheap new. I think I paid $36 each. Outer's cannot be dismanted- it is assembled and welded together. I talked with an old USA GKN supplier and they were asked to sell off the automotive about 12+ years ago. He said GKN/Lobro got i a legal battle over selling to the aftermarket- so don't expect to get new ones via the aftermarket. At least that was his hunch.

I got a pair of used ones and only 1 was tight. The other one the inner joint has play.
    If you get the new boots, get clamps, bolts and a new axle nut...

I would remove all the paint between the 2 joints. Rust pits are the common nucleation point for axle shafts cracking. So, sand them out. Remove the boots, clean everything and paint it apart. You loose the factory machining marks- but it's going to last. Install the boots. There are several times of crimping tools. I would seal the joint between the axle shaft and the CV boot to insure no moisture gets into it in the future.

Just went through this... not fun or pleasant. I can tell you, that my car had a roughness which existed for several years.

Michael

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samiam44 For This Useful Post:

500AMM (3 Weeks Ago), gsxr (3 Weeks Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Thanks, Michael!

I jumped the gun on the NLA claim. However, MB Classic shows zero results for A1243500737, which tends to be a precursor to NLA... regardless if MB systems show backorder.

https://partssearch.mercedes-benz-cl...m/parts/result

Time will tell if the inner boot kit does come back into stock, spendy at $107 for a boot plus hardware.

E500E Guru

I can say, the Lobo aftermarket kit for the 6 cylinders might be identical. Should know next week.

Buy grease, axle nUT and new bolts. Make sure you get the caps sealed on the inner joint.

E500E Guru

Fyi. Tom Hanson confirmed the backorder. No need, all we need is boots.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by samiam44 View Post
    I can say, the Lobo aftermarket kit for the 6 cylinders might be identical. Should know next week.
    4/5/6-cyl cars have CV joints that are ~10mm smaller outer diameter... roughly 110mm vs 120mm. I have a feeling those won't work, or would be stretched.

The V8 and V12 (M119 / M120) vehicles share the larger CV joints, at least in the 124, 129, and 140 chassis.

The 210 was the first chassis I can think of to have a large V8 with smaller CV joints (E55 AMG, using the same CV joints as 4/5/6-cyl in the 80's and 90's).

Quote Originally Posted by samiam44 View Post
    Buy grease, axle nUT and new bolts. Make sure you get the caps sealed on the inner joint.
    I agree, buy the parts separately, it's much cheaper. The bolts can also be re-used if the threads are chased, and installed with blue locking compound; but new ones aren't that much more. Note the new OE bolts will be external 6-pt Torx head, instead of the old internal XZN / 12pt.

Any tips on sealing the metal cap, that won't affect seating or balance? Mine always leak a small amount, especially around the bolt holes.

E500E Guru

Mb says to use the aerobatic sealant.

124-357-01-91= 300521 gkn ,available for $10 kit. Same major diameter, minor tbd.
    Last edited by samiam44; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:36 PM.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samiam44 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (3 Weeks Ago), TerryA (3 Weeks Ago)

E500E Guru

I'm usually 8802 2hr cure. You need to clamp it up.

Did I mention I hate servicing cv joints?

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samiam44 For This Useful Post:

E500E Guru

Ie.. the boot fits a flange on the large diameter. The flanges are either flat or have a semi circular depression to mate the boot. Porsche used both styles..depending on the year.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to samiam44 For This Useful Post:

500AMM (3 Weeks Ago), gsxr (3 Weeks Ago), TerryA (3 Weeks Ago)

E500E Guru

Mb boots take the bead style. The boot at the small eND oh 's approximately 30mm id.

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samiam44 For This Useful Post: