Thread: FS: 1993 500E, Pearl Black/Black, ???kkm, Auction (London, UK)

Peanut Gallerist
    Flipper Detective

FS: 1993 500E, Pearl Black/Black, ???kkm, Auction (London, UK)

No affiliation.

http://www.coys.co.uk/cars/1993-mercedes-benz-e500

VIN: WDB1240361C038283

Auction Details

Address The Lindley Hall, Elverton St, London SW1P 2QW
    Date 04 Dec 2018
    Time 7:00 PM
    Viewing Monday 3rd December from 12.00pm to 8.00pm
    On the day of the sale from 10.00am to start of sale

https://www.datamb.com/vin/Pgkjo2NxJQrdVa4qZ

ESTIMATE £30,000- £40,000

Lot Details

Lot Number 110
    Reg. Number UK Registered
    Chassis Number WDB1240361C038283
    Year 1993
    Make Mercedes-Benz
    Model E500

+44 208 614 7888

Description

From 1991 to 1994, Mercedes-Benz sold a high-performance version of the W124, the Mercedes-Benz 500 E (W124.036). The 500 E was created in close cooperation with Porsche. With its engineering department being fully occupied with the development of the new S-Class, Mercedes-Benz commissioned Porsche in 1989 to redesign the W124 chassis to shoehorn the 5.0L V8 used in the SL into it, along with the necessary changes on the suspension system and drive train. When the car was ready, it was found that its widened fenders didn’t fit through the W124 assembly line in Sindelfingen in three places. Hence Porsche was also commissioned to assemble the car.
    The 500 E had a naturally aspirated 5-Litre V8 engine derived from the 500 SL roadster. Sports car braking performance also came from SL components: front SL 500 300mm disks with 4-piston callipers came installed on the 1992 and early 1993 cars. The later 1993, and all 1994 cars came with the upgraded 320mm set taken from the 600 SL. Rear brakes on all years were 278mm brakes from the 500 SL. The 500 E was only supplied with four seats in left hand drive, with the four leather seats supplied by Recaro.
    Called the ‘Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing’ by the press, performance tests of the day yielded impressive results: 0–62 mph times of 5.5 to 6.0 seconds. The top speed was redline limited at 6,000rpm to 160mph.
    This rare UK delivered facelift model is presented in blue black paintwork with black leather interior. There is a full service history in the file and has formed part of a private collection for several years. Described to be in excellent condition throughout and supplied with a UK V5C and current MOT, this autobahn powerhouse is a excellent proposition.

bush-750x415.jpg
    2014 MB E63S, 2008 Tundra, 2006 Lotus Exige S, 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser, 1996 Ford Bronco, and some other interesting and not so interesting vehicles.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ace10 For This Useful Post:

TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

Re: FS: 1993 500E, Pearl Black/Black, ???kkm, Auction (London, UK)

"When the car was ready, it was found that its widened fenders didn’t fit through the W124 assembly line in Sindelfingen in three places. Hence Porsche was also commissioned to assemble the car."

Haven't heard that story before. Is it correct?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to r44raven For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

I've heard that story, obviously can't verify it but I have heard it before.
    1993 500E Signal Red/Parchment
    1987 300TDT Ivory/Palomino
    1995 E320 Cabrio Black/Parchment
    1969 280SL Silver/Green - 1970 280SL Black/Parchmen
    1987 560SL Signal Red/Palomino

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogeyman For This Useful Post:

TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I've heard that too, but have always been skeptical of it. Having visited the production lines in Sindelfingen several times, I find that hard to believe, simply because things are not THAT tight. Not to mention that the E500E flared fenders are not all that much wider than standard sedan (have to look up the exact dimensions in the specs for pedestrian vs. E500E models, but I can't imagine it's more than a couple or three inches, max).

I believe the work was farmed out to Porsche more because there were extensive chassis modifications that had to be made, such as widening the transmission tunnel, pushing the inner firewall back in the engine compartment a bit, and adding various reinforcements to the chassis to accommodate the powertrain and help with chassis stiffness. Also, items such as the battery box area in the trunk are totally different than with pedestrian models.

A lot of this stuff was done by hand, and there is no way that MB could have done it on their "normal" production line. Although they did produce 400Es on the normal production line.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Klink (2 Weeks Ago), maw1124 (2 Weeks Ago), r44raven (2 Weeks Ago), sheward (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

I’ve seen this car in the flesh at a W124 meet, the owner is called Nick (although not sure if the current seller is a dealer).

The car was in good condition, I think Nick had replaced all of the interior and I also think it was a limited?? It didn’t have the limited interior at the time I saw it.

30-40K is strong money imo.
    Matin

1992 500E - JAPAN SPEC

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Matin For This Useful Post:

TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

Hi Matin
    I think I'm likely the Nick you're referring to but it's not mine

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to B16 NYK For This Useful Post:

Matin (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by r44raven View Post
    "When the car was ready, it was found that its widened fenders didn’t fit through the W124 assembly line in Sindelfingen in three places. Hence Porsche was also commissioned to assemble the car."

Haven't heard that story before. Is it correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    I've heard that story, obviously can't verify it but I have heard it before.
    Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    I've heard that too, but have always been skeptical of it. Having visited the production lines in Sindelfingen several times, I find that hard to believe, simply because things are not THAT tight. Not to mention that the E500E flared fenders are not all that much wider than standard sedan (have to look up the exact dimensions in the specs for pedestrian vs. E500E models, but I can't imagine it's more than a couple or three inches, max).

I believe the work was farmed out to Porsche more because there were extensive chassis modifications that had to be made, such as widening the transmission tunnel, pushing the inner firewall back in the engine compartment a bit, and adding various reinforcements to the chassis to accommodate the powertrain and help with chassis stiffness. Also, items such as the battery box area in the trunk are totally different than with pedestrian models.

A lot of this stuff was done by hand, and there is no way that MB could have done it on their "normal" production line. Although they did produce 400Es on the normal production line.
    I agree with Honch, as I am also skeptical of that explanation, however I think it may have been a consideration in deciding to have Porsche do so much of the assembly work once the design had been finalized.
    I was on a MB awards trip in late 1990. There was an extensive presentation on the then upcoming 500E and 140 S-Class. We had to surrender any cameras, audio recorders, etc. upon entering the room. They definitely mentioned something about “width” being a major consideration in having Porsche build them, as it would have created too much disruption of their standard 124 line tooling, etc. and that Porsche already had available production capacity at a facility perfectly suited to task. THAT, and the leather upholstery pattern of the 140 seats were my most vivid memories from that presentation.
    Oh, and I do remember a lot of us talking about how we were hopeful that Porsche wasn’t going to somehow botch the assembly of the cars, because other than the paintwork, there was nothing with production quality comparable to a Mercedes being done at Porsche. Maybe the 959...
    Last edited by Klink; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:52 PM.
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Klink For This Useful Post:

a777fan (2 Weeks Ago), Bogeyman (2 Weeks Ago), gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), JCM1 (2 Weeks Ago), Jlaa (2 Weeks Ago), maw1124 (2 Weeks Ago), nocfn (2 Weeks Ago), r44raven (2 Weeks Ago), sheward (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

Greg
    '94 E500
    '03 E320 4Matic Wagon (W210)
    '08 G55

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 8899 For This Useful Post:

JCM1 (2 Weeks Ago), Klink (2 Weeks Ago), r44raven (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

I had always thought Porsche designed those chassis modifications as part of their “design/build” duties. If I get bored, I’ll pore through the various articles that would have left me with that impression. On no day have I ever thought Porsche’s duties here were mainly assembly because MB couldn’t. I’ve always thought Porsche assembly was consistent with their design/build role.

This was always going to be a limited production trial performance sort of thing, which MB weren’t set up to even think about at the time much less execute upon. Remember, they had seen Aufrecht and Melcher pull off similar “stunts” with their components over at Grossapach. But even still, in the late 80’s, any lower, high performance tuning for MB at the time was done by anyone except MB (mainly by AMG). Sure Porsche wasn’t known for workmanship, which in my mind is why the cars had to keep going to MB for quality inspection at various points in the assembly process. But in my view, it’s both the design AND the build by Porsche that makes this car standout.

For me, MB is about the exceptionally over the top quality of the components. It was Porsche who designed how to get more performance out of those exquisitely engineered components, with a little rethinking here and there.

maw

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maw1124 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), JCM1 (2 Weeks Ago), Klink (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (5 Days Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Matin View Post
    I’ve seen this car in the flesh at a W124 meet, the owner is called Nick (although not sure if the current seller is a dealer).

The car was in good condition, I think Nick had replaced all of the interior and I also think it was a limited?? It didn’t have the limited interior at the time I saw it.

30-40K is strong money imo.
    Car belongs to Sully bro. Not sure why he bought this one in the first place given he has two AMG E60's.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to e500.org For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), Matin (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (5 Days Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by maw1124 View Post
    I had always thought Porsche designed those chassis modifications as part of their “design/build” duties. If I get bored, I’ll pore through the various articles that would have left me with that impression. On no day have I ever thought Porsche’s duties here were mainly assembly because MB couldn’t. I’ve always thought Porsche assembly was consistent with their design/build role.

This was always going to be a limited production trial performance sort of thing, which MB weren’t set up to even think about at the time much less execute upon. Remember, they had seen Aufrecht and Melcher pull off similar “stunts” with their components over at Grossapach. But even still, in the late 80’s, any lower, high performance tuning for MB at the time was done by anyone except MB (mainly by AMG). Sure Porsche wasn’t known for workmanship, which in my mind is why the cars had to keep going to MB for quality inspection at various points in the assembly process. But in my view, it’s both the design AND the build by Porsche that makes this car standout.

For me, MB is about the exceptionally over the top quality of the components. It was Porsche who designed how to get more performance out of those exquisitely engineered components, with a little rethinking here and there.

maw
    There's no question that there was some, and a significant, level of design and engineering, and tuning, performed by Porsche as part of the E500E development project. It was never just a "contract manufacturing" arrangement.

I think where folks go wrong is that they assume that Porsche did everything, or they did nothing. When in fact, the reality is that it was somewhere in between. I've never known definitively whether MB actually created the initial test mules (development prototypes) themselves, but from what I've known and heard, they did the development (even early conceptual development and feasibility engineering) together WITH Porsche. And then once MB figured out what needed to be done, and how much it would cost, they then turned to Porsche to help them make it happen, and that included production-engineering work by Porsche, and then very definitely some "tuning" work by Porsche on the suspension and such as part of later-stage development.

So, it's not a case where MB gave Porsche some W124 bodies and 119/722.3 drivetrains and said "Make it happen," nor did they merely ship these components to Porsche after figuring out what to do and how to do it, and said "Assemble these."

Cheers,
    Gerry

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), Klink (2 Weeks Ago), maw1124 (2 Weeks Ago), msq (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (5 Days Ago)

What surprises me is that given the global reach of this site, there isn't a member somewhere out there, who knows someone from either MB or Porsche (maybe an ex-employee) who was around at the time of the E500E project, and who could provide intimate knowledge of the exact details of the tie-up between the two companies re the E500Es, and how that arrangement worked on the ground - from first conception, to planning, design, build etc. There are a lot of members here who know some of the detail, but it seems to me that there are still a lot of unanswered questions which I know we'd all love to have answered?

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to r44raven For This Useful Post:

JC220 (1 Week Ago), TerryA (5 Days Ago)

A couple additional thoughts. At the time these cars were built Porsche, like Mercedes was hand building cars and costs were high. Porsche was not selling near the number of cars as MB and it's no secret that they were hurting financially, a fact that is understandably not discussed by either Marque. I imagine this afforded MB to negotiate a very good deal on the assembly and design changes as they were also very interested in increasing profits as evidenced by their move towards more automation shortly after.

Also, although Porsches of the time were basic and simple cars the fit/finish and paint of the exteriors with their compound curves was superb. Our family owned 3 original 356s and they were very impressively finished. If you haven't done so shut the door on a proper early 356 or 911. I dare say even more satisfying than our own 036s. Porsche was no stranger to quality work.

drew
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles
    93 500e 179,000 miles sold
    92 500e 110,000 miles sold

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sheward For This Useful Post:

albdentist (2 Weeks Ago), Glen (2 Weeks Ago), gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), Jlaa (2 Weeks Ago), Klink (2 Weeks Ago), maw1124 (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (5 Days Ago)

Hi,

I'll continue the off-topic discussion.
    I have read that one reason for 500E subcontring was that it required to many chassis modification compared the normal W124 that was not able to do within the cycle time of conveyer. If that is the case why .34 (400E) was built in MB factory even it shares the chassis modifications exept fenders? (I'm assume that mods due to engine must be the same). Just wondering....

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Efraim For This Useful Post:

TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

The 034 has a lot of the same chassis mods, but not all of them. There are still a few little differences, for example the lower wiring harness is different, and the routing is different. I always wondered why.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

a777fan (2 Weeks Ago), Klink (2 Weeks Ago), maw1124 (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (5 Days Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by sheward View Post
    A couple additional thoughts. At the time these cars were built Porsche, like Mercedes was hand building cars and costs were high. Porsche was not selling near the number of cars as MB and it's no secret that they were hurting financially, a fact that is understandably not discussed by either Marque. I imagine this afforded MB to negotiate a very good deal on the assembly and design changes as they were also very interested in increasing profits as evidenced by their move towards more automation shortly after.

Also, although Porsches of the time were basic and simple cars the fit/finish and paint of the exteriors with their compound curves was superb. Our family owned 3 original 356s and they were very impressively finished. If you haven't done so shut the door on a proper early 356 or 911. I dare say even more satisfying than our own 036s. Porsche was no stranger to quality work.

drew
    Though I’ve never owned one, I’ve always been of the understanding that the 356 was not designed to be a particularly durable car.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Klink (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

What surprises me is that given the global reach of this site, there isn't a member somewhere out there, who knows someone from either MB or Porsche (maybe an ex-employee) who was around at the time of the E500E project, and who could provide intimate knowledge of the exact details of the tie-up between the two companies re the E500Es, and how that arrangement worked on the ground - from first conception, to planning, design, build etc. There are a lot of members here who know some of the detail, but it seems to me that there are still a lot of unanswered questions which I know we'd all love to have answered?
    Gerry’s explanation is to my mind as expansive and definitive as it’s going to get. Even if you had blueprints, you wouldn’t know how many members of each team were in the room when they were prepared. Short of matching up sign in sheets with blueprint dates and contract signing, “co-design build” is exactly as it seems.

What’s abundantly clear is that MB weren’t going for non-MB components in this build. That is fact. Unlike the Audi RS2. It’s also clear that Porsche were willing to think about a performance GT/Saloon in a way MB wasn’t quite ready to, for such a limited unproven market. Witness the 928 GT V8 with an MB automatic transmission. More fact. Finally, MB weren’t ready to go full AMG treatment for this (a la The Hammer). Again, fact. The Hammer cost too much compared to the BMW M5 — even at the 500E price, they almost overshot the market price point. Price is the only place this car failed against the M5. The Hammer was I think $40k more than both — no bueno. But, because this car was so “cheap” relative to what you got at the time, you can actually see them selling for MSRP some 30 years later. That’s like shooting your age in golf — it doesn’t happen often.

So this was a good “in between” trial solution. Any more specificity than that is, for me, in the weeds. Porsche was about “craft” and MB was about overly engineered components. So here we have a craft car from overly engineered components that doesn’t quite break the bank. I’m a simple guy so that makes plenty of sense to me.

maw
    Last edited by maw1124; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:06 PM.

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to maw1124 For This Useful Post:

albdentist (2 Weeks Ago), Jlaa (2 Weeks Ago), Klink (2 Weeks Ago), r44raven (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Actually, I did have the opportunity to meet Mr. Klaus Bischoff, who works for Porsche, a few years ago while I was visiting the Porsche Museum. He was the executive in charge of the entire 500E project for Porsche. I have tried a couple of times to meet with him more extensively as of a few years back, but unfortunately have not been able to arrange a mutually workable time for both of us. He's a busy guy, so I take what I can get, which so far has been no time. The one time we did have arranged, he had to cancel at the last minute because of a media engagement together with Jacky Ickx.

I still have Mr. Bischoff's business card, and I will keep trying to get together with him in Zuffenhausen. Someday we will. Perhaps I can make it my mission to do this in 2019.

36. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Efraim (2 Weeks Ago), JC220 (1 Week Ago), Klink (2 Weeks Ago), maw1124 (1 Day Ago), r44raven (2 Weeks Ago), sheward (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by maw1124 View Post
    The Hammer cost too much compared to the BMW M5 — even at the 500E price, they almost overshot the market price point. Price is the only place this car failed against the M5. The Hammer was I think $40k more than both — no bueno. But, because this car was so “cheap” relative to what you got at the time, you can actually see them selling for MSRP some 30 years later. That’s like shooting your age in golf — it doesn’t happen often.
    The Hammer provided the blueprint for the 500E. It was the stepfather, or uncle. It proved there was a market for such a vehicle. I don't think that Porsche came up with the concept. It was 100% MB's concept -- first illuminated by the Hammer, and even more well-proven by the M5.

The Hammer cost QUITE A BIT more than the 500E ...

New, the US price for a 500E was ~$80,800 in 1992 dollars (~$145K today). The US starting price for a Hammer (in 1987 dollars) was around $125K, PLUS the cost of a new 300E (MSRP $39,500 at the time, plus options) ... so probably more like around $170,000 total in US 1987 dollars, which would equate to $210K in 1992 dollars, or ~$380,000 in 2018 dollars.

So yeah, there's a difference.....$81K vs. $210K....or $145K vs. $380K.

Cheers,
    Gerry

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

a777fan (2 Weeks Ago), Eno (2 Weeks Ago), gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), Klink (2 Weeks Ago), maw1124 (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

Though I’ve never owned one, I’ve always been of the understanding that the 356 was not designed to be a particularly durable car.
    They had durability in the same sense that a VW, which you are very familiar with, did with the additional benefit of their years of endurance racing and success. Still, they were designed as sports/racing cars and there was little concern with durability of interior parts and little experience with driver niceties and comforts. Porsches built in as late as the nineties had less than great wearing interiors and dependable creature comforts. Dependability might be a better word.The last car you would choose for safety. James Dean might back me up were he still around.

drew
    Last edited by sheward; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:34 PM.
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles
    93 500e 179,000 miles sold
    92 500e 110,000 miles sold

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sheward For This Useful Post:

Klink (2 Weeks Ago), maw1124 (2 Weeks Ago)

I’m not really concerned with whose idea it was. As far as I’m concerned, it was Aufrecht’s and Melcher’s.

I know Porsche, Audi, BMW and MB were all chasing the extension of the AMG idea into mass market form — GT, sedan and wagon. And besides BMW (M5), Porsche were building them all — the 928, the 500E, and the RS2. I don’t need to strip them of that credit. It doesn’t rewrite history to show that MB were slow and resistant to the idea. AMG already showed that in the 70’s and 80’s, when Porsche were on to the 928 and BMW were on to the M5.

But MB caught up in splendid form, with some help from Porsche, which is why these pieces are so widely sought after and recognized.

maw

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maw1124 For This Useful Post:

Klink (2 Weeks Ago), sheward (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    The 034 has a lot of the same chassis mods, but not all of them. There are still a few little differences, for example the lower wiring harness is different, and the routing is different. I always wondered why.

We here in the USA don't know or tend to forget that the 400E came a year or so after the 500E was introduced in Europe. Since we got them both as MY 1992 cars, we think of them as simultaneously introduced. They weren't. Regarding the 400E, it was done primarily as a response to USA dealers screaming for a V8 powered car closer to the price of the V8 Lexus and Infiniti offerings. I think that they took the parts pioneered on the 500E and figured out ways to adapt them to the normal 124 line and/or the 124 line to it. In my opinion, the engine wiring harness changes were done exactly for this reason. It is also one of the things that I cite as evidence that the "face-lift" cars did indeed remain Porsche built. If the were built on the standard 124 line, it only stands to reason that the lower engine wiring differences would have been incorporated into the face-lift .036 cars if production had in fact been moved in house.
    Last edited by Klink; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:07 PM.
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

44. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Klink For This Useful Post:

a777fan (2 Weeks Ago), ace10 (2 Weeks Ago), gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), maw1124 (2 Weeks Ago), sheward (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

I was told that the main reason for the Porche involvement was due to the fact that Mercedes couldn't shoe horn the eve engine into the body on a continuous production line
    can anyone confirm this

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Dik Best For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Week Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by Dik Best View Post
    I was told that the main reason for the Porche involvement was due to the fact that Mercedes couldn't shoe horn the eve engine into the body on a continuous production line
    can anyone confirm this
    Nope, that sounds like BS, since MB had no trouble fitting the M119 into the 124.034 on the standard production line.

48. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Hey Dik!

So you can use the internet, contrary to all your pretences! I'm not sure about an answer to your question about MB not being able to shoe-horn an E500 engine into a W124 engine bay - no doubt a well-informed member will be able to elaborate on that point? However, I look forward to enjoying your further contributions (as a 500E owner), to this site!

All the best

Stephen (r44raven).

50. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to r44raven For This Useful Post:

maw1124 (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Nope, that sounds like BS, since MB had no trouble fitting the M119 into the 124.034 on the standard production line.

Wait a minute -- weren't all of the W124 V-8 models produced at Porsche?

52. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

a777fan (1 Week Ago), maw1124 (1 Week Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Dik Best View Post
    can anyone confirm this
    No. But it may have had something to do with the R129 underpinnings of the chassis. Google can help.

maw

54. The Following User Says Thank You to maw1124 For This Useful Post:

TerryA (5 Days Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Wait a minute -- weren't all of the W124 V-8 models produced at Porsche?
    No, but they should have been. Right, Jon 777?

56. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

maw1124 (1 Week Ago), TerryA (5 Days Ago)

No, but they should have been. Right, Jon 777?
    Yess indeedy!

:devil:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

58. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to a777fan For This Useful Post:

maw1124 (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Peanut Gallerist
    Flipper Detective

Anybody know how to find the results on this auction?
    I poked around and didn't see anything.
    2014 MB E63S, 2008 Tundra, 2006 Lotus Exige S, 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser, 1996 Ford Bronco, and some other interesting and not so interesting vehicles.

60. The Following User Says Thank You to ace10 For This Useful Post:

TerryA (5 Days Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by ace10 View Post
    Anybody know how to find the results on this auction?
    I poked around and didn't see anything.
    I've been "poking around" for days trying to find the result of that auction. Can't find anything at all!

In fact, it seems Coys are very tardy at publishing results, as there were some auctions earlier in the year for which I can't find any results either!

I'll keep looking!

Just spoke to the owner. It didn't sell.

63. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to e500.org For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Day Ago), r44raven (1 Day Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by e500.org View Post
    I'm very surprised it didn't sell! Over here in the UK, I don't think £30k would be a bad price to pay for a well presented E500E. Coy's detail does state "described (one assumes to them) to be in excellent condition" (in other words they don't accept any responsibility for its condition!).

But was/is there anything wrong about the car?

Any information on that, Bill?

65. The Following User Says Thank You to r44raven For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Day Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

A single small photo and no odometer reading REALLY hurts interest, IMO.

Any word what the high bid was?

67. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

ace10 (1 Day Ago), TerryA (1 Day Ago)

1x Photo listing..... oh dear! Someone needs to try a little harder
    1987 w124 200 - 3.6 AMG build | 1990 w124 300E-24 | 1992 w124 500E

1994 320CE Sportline | 1997 w140 S280 | 2007 w211 E220CDI

69. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Day Ago), maw1124 (1 Day Ago), TerryA (1 Day Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by JC220 View Post
    1x Photo listing..... oh dear! Someone needs to try a little harder
    That was adequate 25 years ago for a print ad in Dupont Registry, but today... gee, I wonder why it didn't sell?

71. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

JC220 (1 Day Ago), r44raven (1 Day Ago), TerryA (1 Day Ago)

Bill - you got some inside info on this?

73. The Following User Says Thank You to r44raven For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Day Ago)

Bill - you got some inside info on this?
    He said it got submitted to the auction very late so didn't drum up enough interest. No idea where the bid stood. It's an immaculate E500, previously owned by one of the guys that runs the UK MB official members club (Nicky). The owner has two AMG E60s (black & silver) so wants to sell this E500 and the black AMG E60.

75. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to e500.org For This Useful Post:

gsxr (12 Hours Ago), r44raven (18 Hours Ago)

He said it got submitted to the auction very late so didn't drum up enough interest. No idea where the bid stood. It's an immaculate E500, previously owned by one of the guys that runs the UK MB official members club (Nicky). The owner has two AMG E60s (black & silver) so wants to sell this E500 and the black AMG E60.
    Stephen come to think of it I'm sure you've met Sully at one of the MB meets I used to organize at MB Brooklands. He owned a AMG E60 93' in brilliant silver then, "SIU 6000" on the registration plate IIRC.

Stephen come to think of it I'm sure you've met Sully at one of the MB meets I used to organize at MB Brooklands. He owned a AMG E60 93' in brilliant silver then, "SIU 6000" on the registration plate IIRC.
    I don't actually recall meeting him - but that doesn't mean it didn't happen! (At my age, "senior moments" occur more and more frequently!) . I'm sure I'd recognise him if I saw him again.

By the way, we need you back in the UK! No one seems to have taken up the banner to organise more E500e meets!