Thread: Infared Remote (IR RCL)

Infared Remote (IR RCL)

I have an Infared remote unit with my car (car was imported from Europe, so it is a European Model).
    The car came with Option Code 880 Locking/Closing System with Infared Remote and not the 885 Code Locking/Closing System with Infared Remote and Immobilizer (I am glad it does not have this).

In any case, I have one Infared/Key Remote for locking/unlocking and the spare set of keys are just manual/mechanical keys.

I looked in this forum in advance (so as not to waste anyones time) and other places on the web and I can not find a place to buy a spare Infared Remote. I can find plenty of places that just sell the empty IR Remote case, but none with the "IR guts".

Since I am not sure this (880 code) was an option on U.S. W124's (not 100% sure of this), I suspect my local MB dealer will have no idea if/where/how to get a spare key/remote.

Any idea:
    1. if it's possible to get a spare IR Remote?
    2. if it is possible to get a spare one, does anyone know how to sync it with my car (I have the procedure for resynching the existing IR Remote I have if I have to replace batteries and have them out > 1 minute)
    Last edited by msq; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:52 PM. Reason: typo

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Re: Infared Remote (IR RCL)

With a Euro-spec car in USA, your local dealer can order most all the Euro-specific parts, if you provide proof of registration/title in USA. If you get any hassle, contact Tom Hanson at the MB Classic Center in SoCal, he'll take care of you.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

msq (3 Weeks Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I do not believe the early IRCL keys are currently available from MB. I was able to obtain one new from MB for my 1995 G-wagen in 2014, but I’ve heard they have been unavailable for the past couple of years.

I also know for a fact that MB is in the final stages of qualifying a new subcontractor to bring them into production again. This production is slated to begin in 2020.

As Dave said, talk to Tom Hanson at the MB Classic Center. I got my IRCL key from him. At the time it was well over $200.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

msq (3 Weeks Ago)

Yea, I believe the dealer I bought the car from checked with the local MB dealer in his city and he could not get one from him, so I will check with the person at MB Classic Center that you guys suggest.
    I know if available it will not be inexpensive!

I am also looking for a IR key, for my 95 Euro sportline cab. I contacted Tom Hanson at the MB Classic Center some months ago and Tom was unable to get a new IRCL key, though he did source a regular key for me. msq, if you find a source please post. Otherwise will look forward to this new subcontractor coming on line.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ghm For This Useful Post:

msq (2 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by ghm View Post
    I am also looking for a IR key, for my 95 Euro sportline cab. I contacted Tom Hanson at the MB Classic Center some months ago and Tom was unable to get a new IRCL key, though he did source a regular key for me. msq, if you find a source please post. Otherwise will look forward to this new subcontractor coming on line.
    Ok, thanks for the heads up. I was wondering if they were available since an MB dealer in Switzerland could not get one. I'll wait for the the new subcontractor to come on line also, in the meantime @ghm, if I find a source (which is doubtful) I will let you know.
    Anticipating they may not be available I was wondering if it was possible to find a generic (non MB specific) IR device and "program" it to work with my car. I realize it's Infared (not radio), so I am not even sure that is possible, but I keep thinking "there's go to be a way".
    Maybe someone here on this board knows something about IR technology that has an idea?

I have read before that these w124 IR keys can be re-programmed. I did find re coding instructions before online to do this. (No special equipment needed IIRC)

I do have one good used w124 IR key fob available. If you feel you might be able to have a blank key cut to suit it and can re-programme it then PM me for details as it is available for sale.
    1987 w124 200 - 3.6 AMG build | 1990 w124 300E-24 | 1992 w124 500E

1994 320CE Sportline | 1997 w140 S280 | 2007 w211 E220CDI

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

msq (2 Weeks Ago)