Thread: SOLD: Rare Black w124/w140 airbag with Chrome Star

SOLD: Rare Black w124/w140 airbag with Chrome Star

Hello guys,

Ive been hoarding this airbag for quite sometime but decided to let it go. These are hard to come by. Anyone who is looking to upgrade there steering wheel or already has this style and wants to have the bling star for the ladies nows your chance haha.

Overall great condition just a couple small blemishes as pictured.

300 shipped in the U.S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Fs: Rare Black w124/w140 airbag with Chrome Star

bump 250 takes it

Accepting offers

Do be aware that to ship an airbag it has to be packed in an approved container specifically for airbags. The carriers "sniff" shipments for the accelerants used in these as they are also used in devices that go "BOOM". The fine for shipping one of these in an unapproved container is stiff, well into the thousands of dollars. The boxes to ship one are about $10-$20 and can be purchased online.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LWB250 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (12-15-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by LWB250 View Post
    Do be aware that to ship an airbag it has to be packed in an approved container specifically for airbags. The carriers "sniff" shipments for the accelerants used in these as they are also used in devices that go "BOOM". The fine for shipping one of these in an unapproved container is stiff, well into the thousands of dollars. The boxes to ship one are about $10-$20 and can be purchased online.
    I believe you or someone else already mentioned this thank you for this info

Quote Originally Posted by Benz View Post
    I believe you or someone else already mentioned this thank you for this info

I believe I mentioned it in a different thread. Sorry for the duplication, just don't want to see someone end up on the wrong side of the UPS/USPS/FedEx....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LWB250 For This Useful Post:

Benz (12-27-2018)

100 plus shipping takes this

*Sold*

Re: SOLD: Rare Black w124/w140 airbag with Chrome Star

Question,
    member that purchased this airbag is stating that it does not fit his vehicle and is demanding a full refund and to pay for return shipping. Please advise. The only thing I can think of is that he thought the airbag was a sportline airbag which it is clearly not and the part number is pictured on the backside of the airbag.

Thank you

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Can you post a photo of the steering wheel that it's not fitting into?

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Question,
    member that purchased this airbag is stating that it does not fit his vehicle and is demanding a full refund and to pay for return shipping. Please advise. The only thing I can think of is that he thought the airbag was a sportline airbag which it is clearly not and the part number is pictured on the backside of the airbag.

Thank you
    How does it not fit his vehicle? His vehicle is either going to be a regular 124 / early 500E sized airbag (which this one is), or it's the smaller "Sportline" airbag that most E500Es were fitted with (with the smaller spokes at the bottom and more triangular shape).

If the buyer purchased the wrong airbag for his steering wheel type, that's on him and his error, not yours. You are under no obligation to refund anything, so long as you:

- shipped the same product that you pictured in the ad
    - provided clear photos in the ad of what the airbag was (which you did)
    - did not knowingly ship a cosmetically defective or otherwise faulty product
    - did not change any parameters of the deal as you agreed upon it

Sounds to me like the buyer made a mistake based on his steering wheel type, and bought the wrong thing.

That's not your problem, Benz. The buyer can resell it for what he paid for it, or more, or less.

Next !!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Benz (3 Weeks Ago), JC220 (3 Weeks Ago)

I do not have a photo I just got a dm demanding a refund.

Thanks Gerry,

Ya thats what I figured just wanted to clarify so I do not get bad mouthed because some people go out of their way to stir up trouble.

Question,

Thank you
    I have experimented with many different wheels and airbags, so I will share this.

The 92-97 steering wheels have different internals than the 98-99 steering wheels, so if you have a airbag from a 98 wheel, it may look the same on the surface as a 92-97 airbag, but the back side is different and the bolt holes are not in the same location.

This situation has happened to me on two different occasions. One fix is to swap the internals of a 92-97 wheel with the internals of a 98-99 steering wheel and this would allow you to use a 98-99 airbag on a older wheel. You can't purchase these internal frame parts separate from the steering wheel though, so you would have to find a cheap beat up wheel to cannibalize (or just get another airbag)

I had pictures of this and the wheels side-by-side and the airbags (92-97 and 98-99) but I never used them on my 500e website, so I may not have them anymore but will take a look and post if they are found.

Let me also interject that this situation may not apply to every model Mercedes, the two wheels I had this issue with were from a E Class and S class. I never was able to determine if this change applied to the entire line or just select models.
    1993 500E
    http://2phast.com/500e/500e-sig.jpg

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2phast For This Useful Post:

Benz (3 Weeks Ago), gsxr (3 Weeks Ago)

Thanks for all of the info greatly appreciated for those that may not know.

Quote Originally Posted by 2phast View Post
    I have experimented with many different wheels and airbags, so I will share this.

The 92-97 steering wheels have different internals than the 98-99 steering wheels, so if you have a airbag from a 98 wheel, it may look the same on the surface as a 92-97 airbag, but the back side is different and the bolt holes are not in the same location.

This situation has happened to me on two different occasions. One fix is to swap the internals of a 92-97 wheel with the internals of a 98-99 steering wheel and this would allow you to use a 98-99 airbag on a older wheel. You can't purchase these internal frame parts separate from the steering wheel though, so you would have to find a cheap beat up wheel to cannibalize (or just get another airbag)

I had pictures of this and the wheels side-by-side and the airbags (92-97 and 98-99) but I never used them on my 500e website, so I may not have them anymore but will take a look and post if they are found.

Let me also interject that this situation may not apply to every model Mercedes, the two wheels I had this issue with were from a E Class and S class. I never was able to determine if this change applied to the entire line or just select models.
    I can confirm this statement. It happenened to me when I bought a new Victor steering wheel. Those wheels are rebuilt on old cores and the wheel I bought was from an early 210 and I had too exchange the airbag mounting frame. IIRC the bolt holes were in correct position, but the interface points on the frame was lower so the airbag sat too high. I took several detail pics of this, but they´re stored on one of my older computers tucked away.
    Arnt
    '92 500E, 6.0 AMG, König SC, Black/black
    '94 E500 Limited, Sapphire black, 288 grey
    '92 500 TE, Silver/black (sold)

21. The Following User Says Thank You to 500AMM For This Useful Post:

gsxr (3 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by 500AMM View Post
    I can confirm this statement. It happenened to me when I bought a new Victor steering wheel. Those wheels are rebuilt on old cores and the wheel I bought was from an early 210 and I had too exchange the airbag mounting frame. IIRC the bolt holes were in correct position, but the interface points on the frame was lower so the airbag sat too high. I took several detail pics of this, but they´re stored on one of my older computers tucked away.
    Thanks for the clarification, I thought the holes did not align but I am probably wrong about that, it was a long time ago and many steering wheels ago as well.
    1993 500E

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2phast For This Useful Post:

Benz (3 Weeks Ago), gsxr (3 Weeks Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

All of this doesn’t negate the fact that the buyer needs to take ownership of what he bought. The airbag was sold as-is and the buyer is responsible for what he bought.

Many of us have bought parts that were wholly or slightly incorrect.

When I order parts from MB that are incorrect, I’m not going to insist to MB that they take them back, give me a full refund **AND** pay return shipping.

It’s not MB’s fault that I ordered the wrong part if I did so.

That’s bullshit to try to make a seller
    Provide a refund + return shipping on something that one messed up on themselves.

This is the crux of what is wrong with our society. It’s always the other guy’s fault — no one wants to take ownership for the fact that they F’d up.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Benz (3 Weeks Ago), JC220 (3 Weeks Ago), jonie13 (2 Weeks Ago), sheward (3 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    All of this doesn’t negate the fact that the buyer needs to take ownership of what he bought. The airbag was sold as-is and the buyer is responsible for what he bought.

When I order parts from MB that are incorrect, I’m not going to insist to MB that they take them back, give me a full refund **AND** pay return shipping.

Provide a refund + return shipping on something that one messed up on themselves.

This is the crux of what is wrong with our society. It’s always the other guy’s fault — no one wants to take ownership for the fact that they F’d up.
    Exactly the fact that I put in the work and got the part and lowered the part drastically doesn’t matter. No ones paying me back for my time lost and usually I dont mind but im not at fault and hate people that wont own up to there mistakes. I have bought plenty of things and realized that maybe it wasn’t the right prt but you suck it up and move on.

This is true but in all honesty, I don't think many people knew that there was a design change like previously mentioned. My guess is that if this info was presented to the buyer, then the buyer probably wouldn't of bought the airbag.

FWIW, I don't know how this customer paid you but if its a CC or PayPal, he could very well file a claim and state you didn't provide enough information about the fitment. If he inquired and you said "Yes it will fit as long as your original airbag looks like this one". You may not come out on the winning end of that claim.

For $100, I would just take it back, don't pay for return shipping though. Put it on EBay and be specific about what it will fit and won't fit.
    1993 500E

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2phast For This Useful Post:

JC220 (3 Weeks Ago), sheward (3 Weeks Ago)

For $100, I would just take it back, don't pay for return shipping though. Put it on EBay and be specific about what it will fit and won't fit.
    Just be sure that they pack it in the proper container for shipping if they charge you extra for it.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

This is true but in all honesty, I don't think many people knew that there was a design change like previously mentioned. My guess is that if this info was presented to the buyer, then the buyer probably wouldn't of bought the airbag.

FWIW, I don't know how this customer paid you but if its a CC or PayPal, he could very well file a claim and state you didn't provide enough information about the fitment. If he inquired and you said "Yes it will fit as long as your original airbag looks like this one". You may not come out on the winning end of that claim.

Rik, I look at this like I would Craigslist. If I bought a couch off someone on craigslist, and it was the wrong color or shade or size for my house, I'm not going to take it back to them and demand they refund my money and pay my gas to and from their place. I'd suck it up and sell it myself, probably take a slight loss but recoup most of what I had into it.

Sure, it would have been nice to have someone tell the buyer that there may be a fitment issue, if in fact that is the case. And sure, if the buyer knew or was informed that there may be a problem with the airbag, then sure, he/she likely wouldn't have bought it.

But ultimately, it's the buyer's responsibility to do his/her homework. You can see what the seller said about the airbag, above. He didn't make any grandiose claims about the models that the airbag would fit.

The next thing you know, the buyer is going to get mad at this forum for someone knowledgeable not stepping in to inform him/her that there may be a potential fitment issue, if that is indeed the case.

The thing is, this is fairly easy to remedy. What I'd do is get a used junkyard wheel from an early 210 and just get the internal parts that are needed, and install them. Seems simple enough to remedy. I'd bet the parts would cost less than $25 at my local LKQ yard, and not much is required in the way of time and tools to grab what is needed.

Or I'd just re-sell it and take the information I learned about the bolt holes (if that is the issue) and add that into the mix for the next guy.

None of this is rocket science, but blaming the other guy for something you are ultimately responsible for, is not the way society should operate.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Glen (3 Weeks Ago), sheward (3 Weeks Ago)

I like the GVZ analogy. I have bought the wrong part being lazy or not paying attention to detail. I have to “privately” say aw shiate, and buy the right part.

If i buy A chassis part vin break specific, and have not learned to verify the seller has the proper part for my specific need then its me. It took 1 or 2 times when I first bought c126 parts in 2012 then I wised up. Refund nothing IMO
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

33. The Following User Says Thank You to nocfn For This Useful Post:

Benz (2 Weeks Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I certainly have bought PLENTY of parts over the years (both used and new) that have not applied to my cars. One example I can think of is the fan clutch holder tool (a large wrench) which is for the M119.98X engines, not the 119.97X that our cars have. I still have it sitting in my tool cart. Someday, it may be useful.

But when I realized that I bought the wrong $65 tool, I didn't go back to the vendor and demand they refund my money and shipping. I sucked it up, and am still sucking it up. I was ignorant (some say I still am). Life goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by nocfn View Post
    then I wised up.
    I'm not so sure about that ?!?

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Benz (2 Weeks Ago), gsxr (3 Weeks Ago), nocfn (3 Weeks Ago)

I certainly have bought PLENTY of parts over the years (both used and new) that have not applied to my cars. One example I can think of is the fan clutch holder tool (a large wrench) which is for the M119.98X engines, not the 119.97X that our cars have. I still have it sitting in my tool cart. Someday, it may be useful.

But when I realized that I bought the wrong $65 tool, I didn't go back to the vendor and demand they refund my money and shipping. I sucked it up, and am still sucking it up. I was ignorant (some say I still am). Life goes on.

I'm not so sure about that ?!?
    Anyone who claims this has never happened to them is either lying or delusional. We've all been there. I think I have one of those fan clutch tools, too, and for the same reason.....

Dan

Rik, I look at this like I would Craigslist. If I bought a couch off someone on craigslist, and it was the wrong color or shade or size for my house, I'm not going to take it back to them and demand they refund my money and pay my gas to and from their place. I'd suck it up and sell it myself, probably take a slight loss but recoup most of what I had into it.

Sure, it would have been nice to have someone tell the buyer that there may be a fitment issue, if in fact that is the case. And sure, if the buyer knew or was informed that there may be a problem with the airbag, then sure, he/she likely wouldn't have bought it.

But ultimately, it's the buyer's responsibility to do his/her homework. You can see what the seller said about the airbag, above. He didn't make any grandiose claims about the models that the airbag would fit.

The next thing you know, the buyer is going to get mad at this forum for someone knowledgeable not stepping in to inform him/her that there may be a potential fitment issue, if that is indeed the case.

The thing is, this is fairly easy to remedy. What I'd do is get a used junkyard wheel from an early 210 and just get the internal parts that are needed, and install them. Seems simple enough to remedy. I'd bet the parts would cost less than $25 at my local LKQ yard, and not much is required in the way of time and tools to grab what is needed.

Or I'd just re-sell it and take the information I learned about the bolt holes (if that is the issue) and add that into the mix for the next guy.

None of this is rocket science, but blaming the other guy for something you are ultimately responsible for, is not the way society should operate.
    Yea, I hear ya. I did mention the swapping of the internal frame, I actually did that on a wheel to remedy the issue I had. Crappy steering wheels are not really in demand and can be picked up for practically nothing.
    1993 500E

38. The Following User Says Thank You to 2phast For This Useful Post:

Benz (2 Weeks Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

SOLD: Rare Black w124/w140 airbag with Chrome Star

I understand the buyer is contesting the transaction with a PayPal dispute. IMHO he needs his head examined.

I will not EVER do business with this individual.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

nocfn (3 Weeks Ago)

I understand the buyer is contesting the transaction with a PayPal dispute. IMHO he needs his head examined.

I will not EVER do business with this individual.
    Had a feeling that was going to happen.

Buyers have been spoiled way too much and its largely due to the business practices of EBay & Amazon. They kiss the customers azz so much, this level of service seems to now be expected everywhere, even in private transactions. These companies don't seem to give a rats azz about the sellers either or what kind of impact this has on them.
    1993 500E

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2phast For This Useful Post:

Benz (2 Weeks Ago), JC220 (2 Weeks Ago)

When I'm dead and gone, people going thru my shit will come upon an odd pile of stuff; tools, pieces-parts, etc.
    Now there's a note on top referring to this here post...
    Last edited by northNH; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:33 AM.
    '92 300CE Black/burgundy Sportlined
    '94 320TE Silver/gray
    '86 BMW 635CSi Black/black 5spd
    '67 Volvo Amazon wagon Green/green 75Kmi time capsule
    '62 Volvo Amazon Black/red 4Dr 65Kmi time capsule

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to northNH For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (2 Weeks Ago), sheward (2 Weeks Ago)

Had a feeling that was going to happen.

Buyers have been spoiled way too much and its largely due to the business practices of EBay & Amazon. They kiss the customers azz so much, this level of service seems to now be expected everywhere, even in private transactions. These companies don't seem to give a rats azz about the sellers either or what kind of impact this has on them.
    With my experience I cant tell you the number if times I have been ripped off via Ebay/Paypal . The buyer always wins and I have argued over the phone and wasted my time because they do no give a shit. I told them where is the seller protection without the sellers there would be nothing listed on your platform. I have had cases where the buyer would rip me off claim the item was lost , keep it get a refund And then post it for sale on ebay ! Then I lose twice but they dont seem to care. Waste of time but unfortunately this is the privileged society we live in.

One of the main reasons I don't use eBay any more, unless it's something inconsequential or of minimal value.

I also protect my PayPal account so that they have no way of making a chargeback onto a credit card or bank account if attempted. They did it once and finally gave up after several months.

Dan

47. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LWB250 For This Useful Post:

atg (2 Weeks Ago), Benz (2 Weeks Ago)

One of the main reasons I don't use eBay any more, unless it's something inconsequential or of minimal value.

I also protect my PayPal account so that they have no way of making a chargeback onto a credit card or bank account if attempted. They did it once and finally gave up after several months.

Dan
    Can you elaborate a bit on this please? Re paypal account protection? Is this an account setting? Or do you just not reveal the address to the buyer?

87 300TD om606 compound turbo
    94 e420
    85 300tdt

Quote Originally Posted by atg View Post
    Can you elaborate a bit on this please? Re paypal account protection? Is this an account setting? Or do you just not reveal the address to the buyer?

94 e420
    85 300tdt
    You can setup your PayPal account with no source of backup funding (unverified), but you end up being limited in your spending until your PayPal account is linked to a PayPal credit card or bank account(called verified).

Incidentally, even if you have a CC or bank account linked and you get a charge back, PayPal does not have the authority to take the money from your bank account or CC, they debit your PayPal account. If no funds are in it, you end up with a negative balance and it will stay that way till money is deposited into it.
    1993 500E

50. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2phast For This Useful Post:

Benz (2 Weeks Ago), gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), LWB250 (2 Weeks Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Incidentally, even if you have a CC or bank account linked and you get a charge back, PayPal does not have the authority to take the money from your bank account or CC, they debit your PayPal account. If no funds are in it, you end up with a negative balance and it will stay that way till money is deposited into it.
    This is the main problem. You can keep your money if you are careful... but can basically never use PayPal again, without losing the amount of the chargeback. I suppose you could try to set up a new account with different email / etc but I suspect they would eventually figure out who you are, and debit that account.

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    This is the main problem. You can keep your money if you are careful... but can basically never use PayPal again, without losing the amount of the chargeback. I suppose you could try to set up a new account with different email / etc but I suspect they would eventually figure out who you are, and debit that account.

As 2phast explained you simply disable any means of a chargeback and PayPal posts a negative balance against your account.

The this happened to me over an eBay transaction that the buyer was being totally bogus about, I let PP try a chargeback. They got bupkus. They sent me all sorts of nasty emails, threatened me, etc., etc. My response to them was to outline in detail why the buyer's claim was bogus and that their attempt to claw back their money was unjustified and that I wouldn't pay it. After that I stopped responding to them.

In less than 30 days my account balance was $0 and I was able to use the account again without issue. I have no idea what transpired, just that there was an entry where the charge was removed by PP without explanation.

In the interim I used some other means of transferring funds. There are many. One of my favorites for deposits on cars is Well Fargo's "Zelle" service.

Dan

53. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LWB250 For This Useful Post:

atg (2 Weeks Ago), gsxr (2 Weeks Ago)

As 2phast explained you simply disable any means of a chargeback and PayPal posts a negative balance against your account.

The this happened to me over an eBay transaction that the buyer was being totally bogus about, I let PP try a chargeback. They got bupkus. They sent me all sorts of nasty emails, threatened me, etc., etc. My response to them was to outline in detail why the buyer's claim was bogus and that their attempt to claw back their money was unjustified and that I wouldn't pay it. After that I stopped responding to them.

In less than 30 days my account balance was $0 and I was able to use the account again without issue. I have no idea what transpired, just that there was an entry where the charge was removed by PP without explanation.

In the interim I used some other means of transferring funds. There are many. One of my favorites for deposits on cars is Well Fargo's "Zelle" service.

Dan
    Thanks.

I dont think Zelle is specific to a bank fyi. USAA has it also.

94 e420
    85 300tdt

Quote Originally Posted by atg View Post
    Thanks.

I dont think Zelle is specific to a bank fyi. USAA has it also.

94 e420
    85 300tdt
    Could be - I've only used it with WF. When I bought my 1993 400E the seller suggested I use it. Worked great - as soon as the car was inspected and loaded on the transport I was able to transfer the funds to the seller on the spot. I've used it several times since then.

Dan

56. The Following User Says Thank You to LWB250 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago)

I have used escrow.com for selling cars.
    1993 500E

58. The Following User Says Thank You to 2phast For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago)