Thread: C55

C55

I am looking for a new (to me) DD, should be reliable, not too expensive to maintain, and a good drive. I found a 2006 C55 AMG with 76K miles which I am going to look at in the next couple of days. Any suggestions on what to look out for beyond general condition? I believe the M113 is fairly robust but am not really familiar with it. If not this C55, any other thoughts for a DD? Thanks!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ghm For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Re: C55

Nice cars, but I am not too sure of using C55 as a DD if you are located in NJ. Those low profile/hard tires with that torque make them useless in the snow. If you have a "winter car" that is a different story. I had a C43 for years and I only used it for ~6 mos a year, mostly because I did not want the car taking a beating from winter/salt/rocks of the northeast winters. However even if I did want to use it in winter, it would have been useless in snow. You can get snow tires and put weight in the trunk, start in 2nd etc., but it will not be a hassle free winter experience.
    Last edited by msq; 1 Week Ago at 08:59 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msq For This Useful Post:

Rouven036 (1 Week Ago), TerryA (6 Days Ago)

Good point msq, and something I have to think about. I have a 300TE 4-matic which is not getting much use, to the point where I might have to sell it. Maybe I should hang on to it for the worst of the winter. 500E and Cab are hibernating in the garage so DD would have to live outside.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ghm For This Useful Post:

TerryA (6 Days Ago)

I think the TE 4Matic is your beater, and you split the nice Garden State Days in the 500E and Cab. But that’s just me. I certainly wouldn’t be putting the C55 (or E55, or S55, or SL55, or any other post ‘99 AMG) outside while the W124s live inside. Again, maybe that’s me. But it seems like less is more. Beat the W124 wagon around, drive the others sparingly, and bring in the new age AMG when you’re done with the 124 fix or have more garage space.

That said, what is your daily commute like? Is it a true daily commute or “work from home” DD duty?

GL

Cheers,

maw
    Last edited by maw1124; 6 Days Ago at 11:46 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to maw1124 For This Useful Post:

TerryA (6 Days Ago)

Thanks, maw. I drove the C55 today. It's certainly a beast but I think I am going to pass. It could be a nice addition to the stable but not sure about as a DD. Round trip commute is 85 miles, local roads and highway.
    If anyone is looking for a C55, here is the link:
    https://www.autolineva.com/used/Merc...ccabb5ddf1.htm

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ghm For This Useful Post:

maw1124 (6 Days Ago), TerryA (6 Days Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by ghm View Post
    Thanks, maw. I drove the C55 today. It's certainly a beast but I think I am going to pass. It could be a nice addition to the stable but not sure about as a DD. Round trip commute is 85 miles, local roads and highway.
    If anyone is looking for a C55, here is the link:
    https://www.autolineva.com/used/Merc...ccabb5ddf1.htm
    Ha, the ad says it is a base sedan. Tell them to hire a real marketing person.

Separately, 85 mile commute....I thought mine was bad at 26....

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikeym For This Useful Post:

ghm (6 Days Ago), maw1124 (6 Days Ago), sheward (6 Days Ago), TerryA (6 Days Ago)

E500E Guru

For long comuting- get a 2005-6 diesel. Reliable and inexpensive. Lots of interchangeability, so you can upgrade brakes/wheels and change struts & springs to make it sportier.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to samiam44 For This Useful Post:

ccrelan (6 Days Ago), ghm (6 Days Ago), TerryA (6 Days Ago)

There are a lot of good arguments here against ghm getting a C55 for a daily driver, but they are all outweighed by the indisputable and scientific fact that having it would be awesome. Especially on a commute like that which probably includes a lot of highway. Get it!!!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Melville For This Useful Post:

ccrelan (6 Days Ago), Christian_K (5 Days Ago), TerryA (5 Days Ago)