Thread: Fan clutch

Fan clutch

Hi all

Good day. I am undertaking replacement of the fan clutch on my 1994 E500. I am replacing the water pump, radiator, belt, etc., so I have plenty of clearance, but I cannot get the fan clutch 8mm hex bolt loose. I see that several businesses (including Pelican) sell a fan clutch removal tool - a c shaped wrench with three holes. I am fine with buying the tool but want to make sure it is the correct one. Any suggestions will be appreciated. The bolt is on fairly tight - holding the fan pulley via the belt or by hand is not sufficient, and I do not want to grab the pulley with pliers. I saw a video elsewhere on this site but I do not have facility to make my own tool.

Thank you

Andrew

Re: Fan clutch

I cannot speak to the applicability of the tool however i'll offer this bit of advice. When trying to loosen this bolt a number of sharp blows on the wrench (use a small pipe on the Allen wrench to increase leverage and elevate the strikes above the radiator) is much more successful than steady pressure and should be sufficient with someone pinching the belt. Also try a piece of rubber between the belt and pully to help keep the pully idle. The bolt is a standard thread and will loosen counterclockwise. Protect the front of the car with some blankets or similar.

drew
    Last edited by sheward; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:33 AM.
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles
    93 500e 179,000 miles sold
    92 500e 110,000 miles sold

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sheward For This Useful Post:

500AMM (1 Week Ago), gsxr (2 Weeks Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

That fan clutch wrench is not correct for the M119.97x cars. There is a factory fan pulley wrench (which I've pictured below) which is the factory tool for our cars; other members have made them out of scrap metal welded together. Either way, you definitely need a separate tool to hold the pulley in order to get enough leverage to loosen the fan clutch center bolt -- it cannot be done just holding the belt or by hand.

Perhaps a forum member will lend you their home-made tool - perhaps paying them a deposit via PayPal in advance would be enough to compel them to lend it to you, and then the deposit could be refunded upon return of the tool.

Just a thought.

I have the factory fan clutch and bolt spinner tools, and will post photos of them shortly.

There is a very good thread on fan clutch replacement that is worth reading here on this forum, located here.
    There are also other threads on the topic, if you use the search function.

Cheers,
    Gerry

Here is the factory-style water pump pulley holding tool:

and a photo courtesy of GSXR:

This is NOT the correct fan clutch wrench for the E500E (119.974 engine). It is intended for ME-injected engines of the 119.98X variety.

This is also NOT a correct tool to use for removing the fan clutch:

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Duh_Vinci (2 Weeks Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

The C-shaped tool with 3 holes DOES NOT WORK on the W124 chassis with M119 engine (400E/500E, E420/E500). That tool is for different engine/chassis combinations. There's an old thread on this forum where someone tried to use this and found it simply does not fit between the clutch & pulley. Glen fabricated a tool (link), copying what Benzer posted here, however the photos were eaten by Photobucket.

More info here, see posts 230-299:
    https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1391

If you don't have the correct tool, use bits of rubber or old serpentine belt to protect the pulley while you hold it with pliers. And, pray the last mechanic didn't gorilla the bolt in.

After removal, inspect the bolt and replace if in questionable condition. When installing, don't over-torque the bolt... it does not need to be super tight. A bit past snug is fine.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Duh_Vinci (2 Weeks Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Here are the best tools to use for the job.
    IMG_0107.JPG

The correct fan pulley holding tool can be purchased from Pelican Parts for around $65.
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

500AMM (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    That fan clutch wrench is not correct for the M119.97x cars. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    The C-shaped tool with 3 holes DOES NOT WORK on the W124 chassis with M119 engine (400E/500E, E420/E500). That tool is for different engine/chassis combinations. There's an old thread on this forum where someone tried to use this and found it simply does not fit between the clutch & pulley...
    Indeed not the right tool, found out first hand early this year. I ended up modifying it and grinding down the thickness for it work, final result was this (I was in a pinch, and neeeeeeded it to work):

It is perfectly usable now, but highly recommend starting with the right tools as mentioned above.

Regards,
    D

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Duh_Vinci For This Useful Post:

500AMM (1 Week Ago), gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

D, thanks for the photo... I was going to suggest that grinding one down MIGHT work, but I wasn't sure. Now we know it is possible!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Mercedes Flopper

If it's anything like the one on my E55, you can rent a fan clutch removal tool from Autozone.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by alabbasi View Post
    If it's anything like the one on my E55, you can rent a fan clutch removal tool from Autozone.
    It's not anything like the one on the E55. Completely different design and attachment method, there is no center bolt on the W210 fans.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Thanks, all - I will order the Hazet tool - fan clutch is original and on tight - appreciate all of your suggestions.

Take care,

Andrew

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ab150 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago)

Hi all

Update: ordered the 603-0040 tool directly from Baum Tools. They were very helpful and prompt - tool was $65 and arrived three days later. Worked like a charm. Car now back together with new radiator, fan clutch, trans cooler lines, belt, and hoses. Thanks again for all of your advice.

Andrew

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ab150 For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (1 Week Ago), gsxr (1 Week Ago), nocfn (1 Week Ago), sheward (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)