Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 500E / E500 Parts Manufacturer Quality List

Re: 500E / E500 Parts Manufacturer Quality List

Quote Originally Posted by AMGTesTDriverNJ View Post
    Well, at this point, I might consider shipping it out you GSXR! I went over to the shop this afternoon with every intention that I would smooth this out and apologize for any misunderstanding that may have taken place. When I went in, both the secretary who relayed my requests to the mechanic and the mechanic were in the office. I asked what the reason was he was unable to do the work and he told me I was unhappy with the price and that it was not enough money or worth his time for me to be checking in and bothering him while he is doing the work... whoa! what?! This secretary completely gave this mechanic his own version of what requested! I kept my lid on and apologized if his secretary misunderstood what I was asking for that I certainly didn't mean to offend him or make it seem like I was telling him how to do his job.

So I asked again, can I leave the car? He said, you see that SL over there? It was an old convertible, he said this guy gave me $30k and said fix the car, I want to get paid for every hour that I work on a car. I said, well...of course, why wouldn't you expect that I'd pay you for every hour you work on my car? Do you want me to pay you up front, so you can deduct the money as you do the work? No, he said, I don't want that. I said well do you need more money than what you originally quoted? Lets talk about the price if thats the issue? I said I came here because I was impressed with how (my friends) car was put together and I was looking to get the same quality of work and attention to detail and thats why Im here. He said with that car (my friends) it was his and he was able to do it with an open budget and so on and that my car somehow wasn't fixable?

At this point he was really just making excuses, saying things like it would take half a day to clean the motor and he doesn't have time for that. Unfortunately I had no choice but to take the car with me and head home. Anyone have any recommendations in the NY/NJ area? I used to use a reputable indie mechanic in Tenafly called Wolfgang's but the head mechanic there has taken a back seat as of late and isn't really around much.

You should never have to convince someone to work on your car. The technician's attitude would have been a major red flag to me. You definitely did the right thing to walk out. There are times that I will bring my own parts to a shop to have them installed. Some have refused to install owner supplied parts, some have added 10% to their labor rate and others have had no problem with it as long as they are high quality parts.

If you're still looking for a shop a fellow NY area 124 owner recommended Xaver's Foreign Car http://xaversny.com/ in Newburgh, NY to me. I called them for a quote to install new motor mounts (Lemforder) and a new transmission mount (MB) which I would be supplying. The Service Advisor, Ron, was very accommodating and gave me a quote on the labor over the phone. I asked to schedule an appointment and the earliest availability they had was two weeks out (always a good sign). I dropped the car off and saw that their lot was filled with primarily older MB's (W201's W123's, w124's, w126's and W140's). I got a call the next day that the work had been completed and the car was ready for pickup. When I went in to pick the car up Ron advised me as to some areas on the car that would soon need attention. Although I do as much work on my cars as my mechanical ability allows I would not hesitate for a moment to bring the car back to Xaver's for anything beyond my skills.

Re: 500E / E500 Parts Vendor Quality List

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    This seems to be a useful page from Randy Steele, an experienced MB parts guy, about his take on the aftermarket vendors.

http://www.epsparts.com/contents/sho...mation%20Index

Note what he says about vendors like Meyle. It's worth taking the time to read Randy's commentary about the various vendors.

Cheers,
    Gerry
    I do not agree with this guy. He says that scan-tech parts are OE-quality, but in reality they are worst crap that have been ever produced.
    About the gaskets, elring > victor reinz. About Mahle, not all filters are so great , Mann is always safe bet.
    I would add SKF as premium brand to provide bearings. Same quality as Timken.
    500SL-90

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I agree 100% on Elring gaskets. I will NOT use Victor Reinz on any vehicle I own. As will I NOT use Meyle parts on any vehicle I own.

I would use Mahle filters, but they are not my first choice. Been using Mann filters since 1987, when I first began installing them on my VW Rabbit (Golf Mk.1) GTI. Never a problem since. Hengst is my first choice for oil filters.

SKF, great. Been using them for 35+ years, starting when I was young for my skateboard wheel bearings. Stellar stuff.

You can never go wrong just using genuine MB parts, gaskets, and filters.

And with free shipping from Lionel @ MB of Gainesville there's no excuse
    not to use OE what ever it is.

For the M119, oil filters are Mahle, air filters Mann, and the gaskets like cylinder head covers
    are by far the best of all the other manufacturers.

Then there's the MB Star clarkplugs of course

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Quote Originally Posted by clarkz71 View Post
    You can never go wrong just using genuine MB parts, gaskets, and filters.
    Since the MB Star on the clark-plugs is so difficult for the ladies to see, are there any benefits to using them over the regular Bosch plugs? :clarkz2:

Since the MB Star on the clark-plugs is so difficult for the ladies to see, are there any benefits to using them over the regular Bosch plugs? :clarkz2:
    Yes, you're sending money to Germany, not that KGB Dictator Putin.

Aftermarket Bosch plugs are mostly Russian made.

Quote Originally Posted by clarkz71 View Post
    Yes, you're sending money to Germany, not that KGB Dictator Putin.

Aftermarket Bosch plugs are mostly Russian made.
    Those Russian plugs will make your engine go put put Putin put put Putin...
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Klink For This Useful Post:

a777fan (10-12-2017)

Anybody knows how the quality is with DEA parts?
    Regards Martin
    E420 Sportline 175k km 1994 - 199 Blauschwarz - Black Leather - ASR - AC - 18" Lorinser RS 1
    260E 270k km 1992 - 702 Rauchsilber - ASD - AC
    230TE 330k km 1992 - AC /// E220 200k km 1995

E500E Guru

So I have been venturing with this parts quality lately.

Looks like Bosch has more than one quality level. I cannot comment on plugs/rotors etc. But here in the USA, they sell remanufactured alternators/starters/ MAF etc. They come in a black box. They are re-manufactured in Mexico and or China. They are not the same quality as Germany/Spain yellow boxed rebuilt components.

Michael

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I have spotted a new aftermarket brand of parts, which seems to be for sale over at PelicanParts.com. It's called "OPParts"

Judging by the prices as compared to quality aftermarket or factory OE parts, the OPParts stuff seems to be Chinese junk (i.e. Hamburg Tech, Trucktec, URO, etc.) quality.

I guess a single whiff of the rubber would tell one all they need to know.

Remember ... "If it smells like the 'Fright, don't let it see daylight!"

"Nit-Picky and
    Bitter Mechanic"

It's trash...checked some out already ...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Blue Ridge Mercedes Jonathan Hodgman
    Mercedes Repair Atlanta
    http://www.blueridgemb.com/
    08 E63 05 E55 Estate 95 S600 94 SL700 93 500E Brumos/RTech 92 500E T/R 93 500E (122)
    91 560SEC ECE 87 Hammer Coupe, Sedan and Wagon 6.0L 32V 86 560SEL AMG 6.0L 32V

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jhodg5ck For This Useful Post:

gsxr (03-31-2016)

I have spotted a new aftermarket brand of parts, which seems to be for sale over at PelicanParts.com. It's called "OPParts"

Judging by the prices as compared to quality aftermarket or factory OE parts, the OPParts stuff seems to be Chinese junk (i.e. Hamburg Tech, Trucktec, URO, etc.) quality.

I guess a single whiff of the rubber would tell one all they need to know.

Remember ... "If it smells like the 'Fright, don't let it see daylight!"
    Is that along the lines of "smells like cologne, better leave it alone"?

I have spotted a new aftermarket brand of parts, which seems to be for sale over at PelicanParts.com. It's called "OPParts
    And here I thought "OPP" = stolen parts
    Last edited by Klink; 03-31-2016 at 06:21 PM.

So what's currently the best brand/source for distributor caps and rotors? I realize these things are fluid over time so just curious what the preference is in March 2016. My inclination is to go for Beru for both. Bosch seem to be poor, at least for these particular parts. Are Bosch aftermarket caps/rotors the same as Genuine MB? Or is it like the Putin plugs vs. Clark plugs?

I just installed a set of Clark plugs and already have replacement red Beru wires and a set of NOS Bosch ignition coils. Now I just need to complete the set and hopefully have a reliable ignition system for many years!
    1982 280SL
    1994 E420
    1998 540i/6

Quote Originally Posted by mercedesbenz911 View Post
    So what's currently the best brand/source for distributor caps and rotors? I realize these things are fluid over time so just curious what the preference is in March 2016. My inclination is to go for Beru for both. Bosch seem to be poor, at least for these particular parts. Are Bosch aftermarket caps/rotors the same as Genuine MB? Or is it like the Putin plugs vs. Clark plugs?
    No, the Bosch Aftermarket and the Genuine Mercedes Caps (made by Bosch) are not the same unfortunately. Mercedes has own Injection Moulding Tools at Bosch and they have contracts with Bosch so Bosch is not allowed to produce Aftermarket Caps/Rotors from their tools. Furthermore the Bosch Caps and the Insulators (aka Dust Covers) from the Mercedes Dealer are coated inside with a "Zaponlack", its an electrical barrier coating. (2K Acrylic Clear Coat works aswell for the insulating purpose. BTDT). I know that in the aftermarket business, from first hand, that the brands very often then buy the worn-out moulding from their contract partners and sometimes do some quick repairs, or sometimes just continue to produce parts with rest of stock materials for the so called aftermarket. A person told me on last years 500E meet about that business and said, even if they were having like 50% reclamation rates, its still a win for the company. And since greed controls everything there days...yeahh...
    Bernard, who does M119, M120, M104 for a living had a certain car once where the customer wanted to have Bosch Aftermarket Caps, he returned after less than 1000km with slight missfires... he redone that 2 or 3 times in total with evertime new Bosch caps from different shops problem persisted, then he used a set of new Mercedes caps and the customer is happy till today. Since then Bernard refused to use ANY aftermarket parts for our cars.
    Christian K.
    06/1992 500E - DB199 Blauschwarz-Metallic
    09/1989 300E - DB172 Anthrazitgrau-Metallic
    11/1998 E430 - DB339 Violan-Metallic
    06/2003 CL55 AMG KOMPRESSOR - DB197 Obsidianschwarz-Metallic

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Christian_K For This Useful Post:

bing (04-05-2016), Klink (04-05-2016), mercedesbenz911 (04-06-2016), Ron500E (04-05-2016), sheward (04-05-2016), TerryA (11-01-2017)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I am increasingly starting to worry about even MB factory parts, seeing as more and more of them are being made in places like South America, India and China.

Although I am very sure there are situations like the above with the Bosch distributor caps (and I agree there are differences in many parts between MB factory parts and aftermarket parts that are actually manufactured by the same OEM), there are also many situations where the "aftermarket" parts are merely identical as the MB OE parts with the star "ground off".

Christian, I'll be in touch with you with regard to your recent PM request, if you are still interested in it. I may not make it up to the AB/DA area on this year's trip -- Kreis Stuttgart may be the farthest north that I make it for 2016....formulating my plans now. If you are interested in participating in the Alpentour, the weekend of June 17-19, you should register. There will be caravan of my AB friends (many of whom you met at Schlappeseppel) driving to Munich for the Tour.

Cheers,
    Gerry

20. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Christian_K (04-05-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian_K View Post
    No, the Bosch Aftermarket and the Genuine Mercedes Caps (made by Bosch) are not the same unfortunately. Mercedes has own Injection Moulding Tools at Bosch and they have contracts with Bosch so Bosch is not allowed to produce Aftermarket Caps/Rotors from their tools. Furthermore the Bosch Caps and the Insulators (aka Dust Covers) from the Mercedes Dealer are coated inside with a "Zaponlack", its an electrical barrier coating. (2K Acrylic Clear Coat works aswell for the insulating purpose. BTDT). I know that in the aftermarket business, from first hand, that the brands very often then buy the worn-out moulding from their contract partners and sometimes do some quick repairs, or sometimes just continue to produce parts with rest of stock materials for the so called aftermarket. A person told me on last years 500E meet about that business and said, even if they were having like 50% reclamation rates, its still a win for the company. And since greed controls everything there days...yeahh...
    Bernard, who does M119, M120, M104 for a living had a certain car once where the customer wanted to have Bosch Aftermarket Caps, he returned after less than 1000km with slight missfires... he redone that 2 or 3 times in total with evertime new Bosch caps from different shops problem persisted, then he used a set of new Mercedes caps and the customer is happy till today. Since then Bernard refused to use ANY aftermarket parts for our cars.
    That's what I feared and very much in line with my experience with aftermarket Bosch M119 caps/rotors.

What about Beru aftermarket? The price differential between Beru and Genuine MB caps is $67 vs. $150 per cap.

I only see Bremi, Bosch aftermarket, and Genuine MB for the rotor ($30 Bremi vs. $72 genuine per rotor). Is it worth the extra for genuine on both counts?

Thanks for the insight!
    1982 280SL
    1994 E420
    1998 540i/6

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

If it's in the budget, OE would be the best of course. But given the cost (especially if you include the insulators behind the rotor bracket), not everyone can afford OE.

Most of my cars have Bosch aftermarket caps/rotors courtesy of previous owners. The last couple sets I've purchased have been aftermarket Beru caps & Bosch rotors, as the aftermarket Beru rotors are not available in USA.

YMMV, etc...

23. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

mercedesbenz911 (04-11-2016)

E500E Guru

Smells like black panther cologne.

Works 100%, 60% of the time.

M

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I had a long conversation today with Robert Fenton about the current state of the MB aftermarket parts industry, and learned something interesting:

- FEQ is the "house brand" parts line of WhirrledPack
    - Meyle is the "house brand" parts line of IMC

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

gsxr (04-27-2016), Klink (03-17-2018)

What about MOOG suspension parts? I have always had good experience with their ball joints / sway bar links / tie rod ends. They even include grease nipples in most cases.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by Gmach View Post
    What about MOOG suspension parts? I have always had good experience with their ball joints / sway bar links / tie rod ends. They even include grease nipples in most cases.
    I generally avoid manufacturers who are not the OEM for Mercedes. MOOG may offer quality parts for some other brands, but I'd be very surprised if they had any top-notch parts for Mercedes. It's far more likely they are reboxing, and possibly reboxing cheap stuff, not OEM.

Disclaimer - I have no direct experience with MOOG:
    http://www.moogparts.com/

29. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

TerryA (11-01-2017)

E500E Guru

Re: 500E / E500 Parts Vendor Quality List

Vernet auto parts.

Has anyone used Italian LCA ball joints called BIRTH?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Attached Images Attached Images

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by Eno View Post
    Has anyone used Italian LCA ball joints called BIRTH?
    I've never heard of them. With the early BJ's only costing ~$40 USD list / ~$30 discount, I would shell out for the OE parts. BJ failures can total your car if they come apart while it's in motion.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Eno (12-25-2017), sheward (12-25-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Gmach View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    I generally avoid manufacturers who are not the OEM for Mercedes. MOOG may offer quality parts for some other brands, but I'd be very surprised if they had any top-notch parts for Mercedes. It's far more likely they are reboxing, and possibly reboxing cheap stuff, not OEM.

Disclaimer - I have no direct experience with MOOG:
    http://www.moogparts.com/

I can offer some input on Moog. I have used their parts on my other w211 & w210 models previously and found them to be decent quality parts. More recently I have bought the front tie rods and steering drag link Moog brand for my CE. Some pictures-

IMG_6176.JPG IMG_6181.JPG IMG_6182.JPG

The items were not re-boxed they are made by Moog. They also have a decent finish to them and the joints articulate without the boot coming off or anything stupid. They also have the Allen heads machined into the studs – many cheap arms out there skip this detail. IMHO they are decent parts.
    1987 w124 200 E36 AMG Project car - ongoing 1990 w124 300E-24 Fully Restored
    1992 w124 500E Rolling Restoration - ongoing 1994 C124 E320 - Recently acquired resto project
    2007 w211 E220CDI Avantgarde Daily Driver
    Parted out myself- 95 C36 AMG / 95 E250D / 98 w124 India E220

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (12-25-2017), Klink (03-17-2018), sheward (12-25-2017), skikrazey (12-25-2017)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by JC220 View Post
    I can offer some input on Moog. ... The items were not re-boxed they are made by Moog. They also have a decent finish to them and the joints articulate without the boot coming off or anything stupid. They also have the Allen heads machined into the studs – many cheap arms out there skip this detail. IMHO they are decent parts.
    Thanks for the update! Just curious; was there any country of manufacture mentioned on the labels for the Moog parts?

Side note: I've found that most of the W211 suspension & steering items (tie rod ends, torque arms, ball joints, etc) are all made by CFW; or at least the OE MB original parts have the CFW logo on them along with the Mercedes star logo. But, I've not been particularly impressed with the CFW items. Specifically, they seem to have a shorter lifespan than I think they should. I'm curious if the Lemforder replacements I'm installing will last any longer.

I have never used Moog parts on a MB. I have used them on various vehicles from GM, Ford, and Chrysler products with no complaints and excellent longevity.

Thanks for the update! Just curious; was there any country of manufacture mentioned on the labels for the Moog parts?
    I threw out 2 of the smaller boxes and added the tie rods into the drag link box. That box does not state the country of manufacture on it. I did find this site which describes where they are made (all over the world):

http://www.suspension.com/blog/where...og-parts-made/
    1992 w124 500E Rolling Restoration - ongoing 1994 C124 E320 - Recently acquired resto project

39. The Following User Says Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (12-26-2017)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by JC220 View Post
    I did find this site which describes where they are made (all over the world):

http://www.suspension.com/blog/where...og-parts-made/
    Very interesting reading there, particularly the comments section. Bottom line, Moog appears to have changed from manufacturing their own parts in USA, to reboxing from worldwide sources. They may rebox good stuff, or may rebox junk. They might still manufacture some of their own parts in the USA, but it sounds like that is becoming the exception instead of the rule. It was particularly discouraging to read of the one person who received a Meyle (!) part in a Moog box labeled "Made in USA"... second reply to comment # 8, dated Oct-2016:

I just received a second new MOOG inner tie-rod from Rock Auto after returning the first one that was clearly cheap chinese crap in a Moog box marked “Made in USA”, only to receive a Meyle Germany part in the Moog box that’s marked “Made in USA”.

The original order was for two tie-rods, the crap chinese one I returned was accompanied by a high quality Japanese part that also came in a Moog box marked “Made in USA”.

This is not only wrong, it’s illegal under US consumer protection laws.

The vendor responding to the comments on the page is clinging to the hope that any "Moog Engineer Approved" / "Moog Validated Construction" reboxed part must be ok, because it has the Moog name on it.

Be careful out there.

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

JC220 (12-26-2017), Trae (12-26-2017)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I do not believe that Moog is an OEM for Mercedes-Benz. Thus, I will never purchase any Moog part for use on my cars.

That's "Sir 5SR"
    to you, Bucko!

Moog is not oem to anything. They meet oem specs “so they say”.

I would buy meyle crap over moog any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44. The Following User Says Thank You to 5thscaleracer For This Useful Post:

gerryvz (12-26-2017)

For clarity I did not suggest for a second that Moog is an OEM supplier to Mercedes - they are not. Last time I got a pair Lemforder are the OEM w124 tie rod manufacturer. But Lemforder are a mixed bag now so MB is the top / best choice no question.

I was simply answering a question raised earlier in this thread as I had the parts on hand.

Recent Lemforder engine mounts (w124 m104) were made in China. No longer the OEM mount in the box. I fear Lemforder may soon fall from the top of the list on page 1 of this thread.
    Last edited by JC220; 12-26-2017 at 01:35 PM.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to JC220 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (12-26-2017)

Today some of Lemforder parts have not quality as they should be. I do not trust made in China, or made in Brazil labeled Lemforder parts.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by Merso_AMG View Post
    Today some of Lemforder parts have not quality as they should be. I do not trust made in China, or made in Brazil labeled Lemforder parts.
    I've noticed the new strut mounts and LCA bushings from Lemforder are made in Brazil (and priced about half of the older Germany-made items). I'm really curious if they will hold up as well as their older parts.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

It’s unfortunate, but I think it is time to move Lemforder from the top list (approved) to the middle (hit or miss/questionable) list. Sad that it’s come to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

I think it's premature to downgrade them based solely on country of manufacture. It's possible that the factories in other countries are producing quality items (not I said possible, not probable). I vote we wait until there are some confirmed low-mile failures of "offshore" Lemforder parts before we tar & feather them.

51. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Jlaa (02-08-2018)

E500E Resto God
    Hierarki-Man

I think it's premature to downgrade them based solely on country of manufacture. It's possible that the factories in other countries are producing quality items (not I said possible, not probable). I vote we wait until there are some confirmed low-mile failures of "offshore" Lemforder parts before we tar & feather them.

+1
    1992 w124 500e "Blackbeauty"
    1989 w201 190e 2.5-16 Evo spec "Evoltwin"
    2003 Ford Focus Rs (Sold )

53. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lowman For This Useful Post:

Jlaa (02-08-2018), Klink (02-22-2018)

Almost 2 weeks i am searching some lemforder suspension (sway bar links) for my car and which are made in Europe are Made in Italy. Can't find German made ones.

I am in need of inner and outer tie rods for my 300ce.
    Not sure what to buy. This re-box and made in USA is basically bait and switch.

Very interesting reading there, particularly the comments section. Bottom line, Moog appears to have changed from manufacturing their own parts in USA, to reboxing from worldwide sources. They may rebox good stuff, or may rebox junk. They might still manufacture some of their own parts in the USA, but it sounds like that is becoming the exception instead of the rule. It was particularly discouraging to read of the one person who received a Meyle (!) part in a Moog box labeled "Made in USA"... second reply to comment # 8, dated Oct-2016:
    I just received a second new MOOG inner tie-rod from Rock Auto after returning the first one that was clearly cheap chinese crap in a Moog box marked “Made in USA”, only to receive a Meyle Germany part in the Moog box that’s marked “Made in USA”.

The original order was for two tie-rods, the crap chinese one I returned was accompanied by a high quality Japanese part that also came in a Moog box marked “Made in USA”.

This is not only wrong, it’s illegal under US consumer protection laws.

The vendor responding to the comments on the page is clinging to the hope that any "Moog Engineer Approved" / "Moog Validated Construction" reboxed part must be ok, because it has the Moog name on it.

Be careful out there.

I agree.
    The corner lights made in by Automotive Lighting are made in Latvia, I think.
    At any rate, they are of better quality that the German Manufactured Bosch ones.
    The Bosch ones fade and the rubber turns soft. The AL ones don't fade as fast or as much and the rubber is of better quality, IMO.

57. The Following User Says Thank You to Stevester 500E For This Useful Post:

Jlaa (02-23-2018)

Did a full suspension overhaul a while ago, ended up like this:

LCA: TRW (fixed ball joint, I know about the quality issues, but OE was just way too expensive)
    Front shocks: Bilstein B8
    Tie rods/drag link/other steering parts: Lemförder (box said made in various European countries)
    Steering damper: Febi (had it laying around for ever, easy to replace without needing any alignment if it wears out fast)
    Wheel bearings: SKF
    Brake discs: Zimmermann
    Brake pads: OE Mercedes
    Rear control arms: Lemförder
    Rear subframe bushings: Lemförder
    Rear differential bushings: OE
    Rear LCA bushings: OE

Wonder how this will hold up. Going OE on everything would have been way too expensive, but I tried getting the best of the aftermarket stuff that was available. Car is driven max 5000 km/year, so I guess I will never wear out even the worst quality part.. :P

It seems like many brands are lower quality on the NA market than on the European market, anyone else noticed this? Particularly Bosch for the NA market seems to be inferior to European-market Bosch parts.

I always check OE first, but on some parts, the price difference just can't be justified.
    '95 E36T AMG (124.092) - Poor man's 500, alternatively "as close as you get to 500-performance in a factory 124 wagon"..

59. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to E_S For This Useful Post:

gsxr (03-06-2018), Klink (03-17-2018)

Folks, unless I missed somewhere in these 3 pages, Delphi, for suspension components? I know they manufacture electrical components for MB, but what about rear support arms/camber strut/thrust arm and such?

Regards,
    D

What website did you see the rear suspension parts made by Delphi?

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

AFAIK, for the 124 rear suspension arms, Lemforder is the OEM. (??) Ditto for the 124 front LCA bushings.

I don't think Delphi is the OEM for suspension parts on any year/model Mercedes though...?

63. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Klink (03-17-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by MB V8 View Post
    What website did you see the rear suspension parts made by Delphi?
    The kit is DELPHI TC1600KIT, sold through Summit and Rockauto (at least those too), many in UK listings

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/de...sion+kit,10922

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=2759016&jsn=3

Regards,
    D

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

OMG. That's not the same Delphi that makes MB electrical wiring harnesses.

At $70 for all four links, it's guaranteed to be complete junk. You only want OE or Lemforder for rear links...

AFAIK, for the 124 rear suspension arms, Lemforder is the OEM. (??) Ditto for the 124 front LCA bushings.

I don't think Delphi is the OEM for suspension parts on any year/model Mercedes though...?

I don’t recall seeing it, but they may have bought somebody. That’s the old “Delco”, you know. They are everywhere...

67. The Following User Says Thank You to Klink For This Useful Post:

gsxr (03-17-2018)

OMG. That's not the same Delphi that makes MB electrical wiring harnesses.

At $70 for all four links, it's guaranteed to be complete junk. You only want OE or Lemforder for rear links...

So moving on and let me save myself the long term headache:

Lemfoerder x2 of each and done...

Regards,
    D

69. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duh_Vinci For This Useful Post:

gsxr (03-17-2018), Klink (03-17-2018)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by Duh_Vinci View Post
    Lemfoerder x2 of each and done...
    Yup! Don't forget you will also need 6 total of the bolt kits (photo attached).

71. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Duh_Vinci (03-17-2018), Klink (03-17-2018)

Done

Regards,
    D

73. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duh_Vinci For This Useful Post:

gsxr (4 Weeks Ago), Klink (03-17-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Stevester 500E View Post
    I agree.
    The corner lights made in by Automotive Lighting are made in Latvia, I think.
    At any rate, they are of better quality that the German Manufactured Bosch ones.
    The Bosch ones fade and the rubber turns soft. The AL ones don't fade as fast or as much and the rubber is of better quality, IMO.
    AL is “Automotive Lighting“ which was a joint venture between Bosch and Magneti Marelli. The AL entity absorbed Bosch and Marelli lighting products and the plants where they were manufactured. AL is now fully owned by Marelli and lots of AL products for our cars are identical to the old Bosch products. Not surprisingly, the branding is now in transition and all mixed up, so that it is not uncommon to find, for recent example, 140 headlights and turn signal assemblies still wearing the “AL” labels while being packed and shipped in Magneti Marelli boxes. In every aspect, including the Czechoslovakia plants they were manufactured in, they appear to be identical to the original Bosch parts. Even the labels and stickers are identical in appearance, the only difference being “AL” appearing on the labels as the brand and not “Bosch”

AL=Bosch=Magneti Marelli when it comes to external lighting products for MB vehicles. To your point about your observed improved longevity of the AL branded components, it would not surprise me if improvements in the materials were made over the years...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AL-Automotive_Lighting

75. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Klink For This Useful Post:

Duh_Vinci (2 Weeks Ago), gsxr (4 Weeks Ago), JC220 (4 Weeks Ago), skikrazey (4 Weeks Ago), Stevester 500E (4 Weeks Ago), Trae (2 Weeks Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I saw this today in the Wall Street Journal:

Screenshot 2018-04-04 08.54.00.jpg

I wonder if that means that the price of URO and other cheap Chinese crap parts will be going up in the future? Could make OEMB/OEM parts perhaps more attractive to many....

Cheers,
    Gerry

77. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), Trae (2 Weeks Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

I saw this today in the Wall Street Journal ... I wonder if that means that the price of URO and other cheap Chinese crap parts will be going up in the future? Could make OEMB/OEM parts perhaps more attractive to many....
    Nope, they'll get around that with brilliant labeling as shown below. There's no 25% tarfiff on "unknown"... yet.

79. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

ace10 (2 Weeks Ago)