Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: HOW-TO: Replacing M119 camshaft oiler tubes

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Re: HOW-TO: Replacing M119 camshaft oiler tubes

I always personally try to sell as "turnkey" as possible parts so as to avoid putting extra burden on the buyer to have to source extra stuff.

I do typically give the buyer the option of purchasing new o-rings or not, in case they want to save a few bucks. But I think it's only right to offer new o-rings.

Nothing sucks more than used soft parts.

Would you buy used lower control arms and re-use the bushings on them?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

nocfn (03-16-2017)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

LCA bushings are plain rubber and deteriorate significantly over time/miles.

The oil tube O-rings appear to be something like Viton (?) and I've yet to find any originals that were not still functional. And, I personally would not use aftermarket O-rings, I don't trust them to be OEM quality. On the bright side, new ones are $1.20 list from the dealer so you're only spending ~$30 for new OE.

By comparison, the oil dipstick tube O-ring is almost always rock hard & fossilized, unless a PO has replaced it recently. The oil tube O-rings are not like that.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I've salvaged probably 8-10 sets of oiler tubes from salvage vehicles. In many cases, the o-rings are quite fossilized upon removal, due to heat, age and just general exposure & wear and tear. In one or two cases I've even seen a broken o-ring.

There is a HUGE difference between new and old o-rings in terms of flexibility and sealing ability -- older o-rings get "crushed" over time into a flattened outside angle, and upon re-use in a new application may or may not seal correctly. If you don't believe me, remove an old o-ring and then roll on a new one (and remove it if you like). You'll see a huge difference in flexibility. Not to mention a distinctly more "rounded" outside profile -- i.e. the sealing surface that goes against the cylinder head oil passages.

The (assumed Viton) material of the factory and aftermarket o-rings (I've ordered and used both) is very bit identical to one another. Is the factory o-ring made of Viton, for sure? I've seen the same with the two o-rings that seal the EHA to the fuel distributor on M117 engines - factory and aftermarket Viton o-rings are identical in size, composition and quality. Most green o-rings that I have seen, are made of Viton - it's a common characteristic.

Unlike Chinese vs. German rubber, DuPont Viton is DuPont Viton. Sort of like DuPont nylon is DuPont nylon. If something says it's made of Viton (or nylon), then it is, or it's misusing the trademark of the ingredient material.

Cheers,
    Gerry

Dear "e500-professors"!
    please can you tell me what is the other problems of plastic tubes beside of ticking?and what mileage they working well before ticking starts? My regards!

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

No set mileage and no other problems. It would likely be at 100,000 miles or more that a tube would blow out, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

E500star (07-31-2017)