Thread: FS: 1993 500E, Spruce Green/Cream, 195kmi, eBay (Hollywood, FL)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

FS: 1993 500E, Spruce Green/Cream, 195kmi, eBay (Hollywood, FL)

UPDATE 1: Car is now for sale at a higher price as of October 2013. See post #6 below for details. Thread title updated with current price & location.

UPDATE 2: For sale at a lower price April 2015. See post #28 below for details. Thread title updated. Car sold July 2015.

UPDATE 3: For sale by new owner, September 2018. See post #30 below for details. Thread title updated with current miles & location.

No affiliation. AutoCheck attached below photos. Rear glass was replaced with standard 124 glass instead of the correct "compound" glass that was only used on the E500E (for US 124 models). Headliner replaced with what appears to be Alcantra-style fabric. Aftermarket exhaust, rear bumper notched. Looks pretty clean though.

VIN = WDBEA36E8PB878084

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/360652018501 <--Auction ends May 14, 2013. Reserve not yet met.

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/cl...-1092624.xhtml <--Price is $13,990

1993 Mercedes Benz E500

This car was ordered brand new in Los Angeles by a Mercedes Benz executive. Over $80,000 window sticker….these cars were really the top end of any E class Mercedes in its day!! The second owner bought the car in 2012 and they babied the car as the original owner. Every Service needed was performed by Mercedes THIS IS A VERY WELL MAINTAINED E500….DONT MESS AROUND WITH THESE CARS THAT HAVE BEEN ABUSED!!

This 500E is a great example! Very clean car with all the books and window sticker of over $81k!! The original radio was replaced with a nice Alpine unit with XM radio and bluetooth. The original radio comes with the car. For more information contact Chris at 707-688-3932

Please feel free to call with any and all Questions at 707-688-3932 or 714-803-1593
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by gsxr; 03-31-2015 at 08:09 AM.
    Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

Re: FS: 1993 500E, Green/Cream, 184kmi, $14k (Anaheim, CA)

Wouldn't this one round-out your fine collection of .036s Dave !?

Shows pretty well in the pix... sans the chromed rims.
    1992 500E - Spruce Green(249) Cream-biege (275)
    2007 CLK63
    2010 BMW X3
    2001 Audi allroad
    1986 VW Scirocco 16V

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Yes... yes, it would! Price is a bit on the high side given there are zero records and 184k on the odo. Could be a good deal, or a money pit, hard to tell. Looks great cosmetically though. I need to sell my black 500E first...

Might had a paint job here
    500E 1 of 15

Shows pretty well in the pix... sans the chromed rims.
    Is it your 1992 500E Spruce Green(249) Cream-biege (275) on the rennlist ? i saw few pics with VW in the garage ... just curious

i have to admit wheel choice is the best for this car (size, pattern , brand)
    500E 1 of 15

~BANNED~

FS: 1993 500E, Green/Cream-Beige, $15,500 (San Bernardino, CA)

I've checked this section and it appears that no one has caught this one yet. If I'm mistaken, my apologies.
    http://www.recycler.com/details/-40621780/collector-car

I don't know why people don't understand how vital it is to put the car's accumulated mileage in their ad!

The experts here will have to determine if this is a good car or not.

Quite frankly, I don't understand all of the color combo elitism. What matters is the mechanical condition of the vehicle!

I hope this works out for someone here!

I'm still holding out for a smoking deal like what the Sauceman got! (He paid less for his 500E than I paid for my 400E! They both even had similar mileage!) I can't afford one any other way!
    Regards,
    Eric

1993 MERCEDES 500E, hand built by Porsche for Mercedes, 500 units sent to USA, xlnt cond, 2 tone green ext, tan int, full power, vry fast, $15,500 obo - partial trade considered

Call Me: (951) 662-1639

Placed from San Bernardino, CA, on Thursday, October 17, 2013, at 10:08 AM
    Last edited by 400Eric; 10-24-2013 at 05:35 AM.

~BANNED~

Re: 93 500E Green/Tan So. Cal. $15,500

I like how it is still wearing it's original wheels. Makes me think it's an unmolested original. Also makes me think that the owner(s) was/were older.

It's troubling that they didn't include the accumulated mileage in the ad though. Makes me think it's high.

The car is about 20 miles from me. I could check it out for someone who is serious about it. Emphasis on the word "serious". Please don't make me go look at it if you aren't serious, as I fear I will fall in love with it and have to leave broken hearted because I can't afford it myself.
    Regards,
    Eric

I'm sure if you go check it out in person you'll be able to tell us if it is a good car or not.

Color combo elitism ? That stuff is all personal taste ... but, not to disappoint; the spruce metallic green is like the BEST color for the .036 LOL !

You should most definitely go and check it out, if not for yourself then the greater good here. Shoot them an offer if you want/like it...you never know.
    2007 CLK63
    2010 BMW X3
    2001 Audi allroad
    1986 VW Scirocco 16V

Let's remember now this also...the car is 20+ years old; "normal" and acceptable mileage for it would be between 240,000 and 300,000 miles based on the 12-15K per year that is widely agreed upon in our car culture.
    2007 CLK63
    2010 BMW X3
    2001 Audi allroad
    1986 VW Scirocco 16V

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

the spruce metallic green is like the BEST color for the .036 LOL !
    It's definitely up there in the top 3-4 colors, fer shure !!!

It's a very nice color combo.

1992 500E
    1994 E500
    2011 E550 4Matic

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Merged duplicate threads on same car. Thread title updated.

~BANNED~

Let's remember now this also...the car is 20+ years old; "normal" and acceptable mileage for it would be between 240,000 and 300,000 miles based on the 12-15K per year that is widely agreed upon in our car culture.
    Yes, that's all true, but with no records, 184,000 miles is still too high for me, and apparently for everyone else here as well since it appears no one here grabbed it when it was available last May. Nice, lower mile W124s are still out there. I just scored a nice, clean, 92 300E with less than 108,000 miles about 4 months ago (Benzer5!), the Sauceman's 036 had about 125,000ish when he bought it a few years ago for $5,500, and I am pretty sure that even now, he hasn't cleared 150,000 with it yet. (He'll have to weigh in.) Yes, it had some minor issues, but nothing major, and he didn't have to do anything to it for a while after he got it, which is a good thing, because he shot his entire financial wad just getting the thing! And even now, not counting his performance upgrades, I doubt he has more the $8,000 in the car. (Again, he'll have to weigh in.)

Again, maintenance and repair records are the key and would change my attitude, but they apparently don't exist. A new trans, a new timing chain with new upper and lower rails, new engine mounts, new upper wire harness, etc., are all things that these cars often need at or often before this mileage. If all of that stuff has been done, then this car is definitely worth the price, but PROOF of said repairs/maintenance is absolutely essential! Again the most damning commentary on this car is the fact that no one here grabbed it when it was available last May. How can this car not have receipts?

And on top of everything else, we don't even know for sure what the mileage is NOW. Only what it was last May. Current seller/flipper seems to want to keep it a secret.

And here I figured it was the color! Hey, I agree, it's a beautiful color! I am very partial to green in all it's forms! But even if this wasn't a color I liked, the mechanical condition is what carries weight with me. I can't stand black cars cause they get so damned hot, yet I've owned more than my fair share of black cars. I still have one now! (Benzer2!) Color is definitely secondary. You wouldn't pick a spouse based on the color of their hair would you?

I will still be more than happy to go inspect the car if someone is specifically interested in it. I am now no longer in fear of falling in love with it. I don't see that happening unless it's records suddenly surface.
    Regards,
    Eric
    Last edited by 400Eric; 10-25-2013 at 02:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 400Eric View Post
    Yes, that's all true, but with no records, 184,000 miles is still too high for me, and apparently for everyone else here as well since it appears no one here grabbed it when it was available last May. Nice, lower mile W124s are still out there. I just scored a nice, clean, 92 300E with less than 108,000 miles about 4 months ago (Benzer5!), the Sauceman's 036 had about 125,000ish when he bought it a few years ago for $5,500, and I am pretty sure that even now, he hasn't cleared 150,000 with it yet. (He'll have to weigh in.) Yes, it had some minor issues, but nothing major, and he didn't have to do anything to it for a while after he got it, which is a good thing, because he shot his entire financial wad just getting the thing! And even now, not counting his performance upgrades, I doubt he has more the $8,000 in the car. (Again, he'll have to weigh in.)

Again, maintenance and repair records are the key and would change my attitude, but they apparently don't exist. A new trans, a new timing chain with new upper and lower rails, new engine mounts, new upper wire harness, etc., are all things that these cars often need at or often before this mileage. If all of that stuff has been done, then this car is definitely worth the price, but PROOF of said repairs/maintenance is absolutely essential! Again the most damning commentary on this car is the fact that no one here grabbed it when it was available last May. How can this car not have receipts?

And on top of everything else, we don't even know for sure what the mileage is NOW. Only what it was last May. Current seller/flipper seems to want to keep it a secret.

And here I figured it was the color! Hey, I agree, it's a beautiful color! I am very partial to green in all it's forms! But even if this wasn't a color I liked, the mechanical condition is what carries weight with me. I can't stand black cars cause they get so damned hot, yet I've owned more than my fair share of black cars. I still have one now! (Benzer2!) Color is definitely secondary. You wouldn't pick a spouse based on the color of their hair would you?

I will still be more than happy to go inspect the car if someone is specifically interested in it. I am now no longer in fear of falling in love with it. I don't see that happening unless it's records suddenly surface.
    Regards,
    Eric
    If you really want it / like it you will go check it / buy it. Records are good but thanks God we are not blind plus know enough about W124 and 036 in particular. So very simple, go , check , based on findings negotiate and then make decisions. This is not 10 000 miles collector item where papers matter.

The reason people have not bought yet is that those who does not care about $$ wanna get low mileage but those who do not mind to get a higher mileage vehicle look for a deal of deals. So this car will go to the person who really wants it and does not not mind to get this sort of high mileage and pay this amount of $$.
    500E 1 of 15

~BANNED~

Re: FS: 1993 500E, Green/Cream, 184kmi, $15,500 (San Bernardino, CA)

Again, I just posted this here to help fellow board members. It's too many miles with too little documentation, and too many dollars, WAY more than I can afford. It would be downright insane for me to attempt such an acquisition at this point in my life. I'm just trying to help out here. Hopefully I've made things clear.

Dave merged my thread with another older existing thread. I didn't know that another thread already existed here for this car. I did check for one but I only checked the first page of listings. My thinking was that if there was a posting here on the car, it wouldn't be that old, since the listing itself isn't that old. It didn't occur to me that there would be an older posting here for an older listing/ad for the exact same car.

Dave, how did you know? Is it that funky slightly off-center sticker on the air cleaner? Or is it something else? It's not like the new listing has a VIN number or anything.
    Regards,
    Eric

Why so hung up on records? Do all of your cars have complete records? Does it really matter that the oil was changed at 15K miles or new tires at 60K ? Anyone with a clue can easily tell if the harness is new(er), the radiator has been changed, new(er) caps and rotors and wires...etc etc.

This car had to have major service/repairs to get to that mileage... did you do a VMi at a dealer with it's VIN, there might be something major reported? Often you can tell just by looking at the engine to see what has and has not been done.

Having no records works in a buyers favor, it did for me. I knocked 8 grand off my car's asking price because , at the time, no one knew what was (major) done to it. My car had 100K on it in 1999 and I insisted that it need the t-chain to be replaced (what a noob I was) . It really didn't .... almost 14 years and 60K miles later the T-chain is still original.

Roman is 100% correct, this is not a low mile collector car where service records might mean something in the long run of it. It would be a foul on your part to dismiss it because of no records or even going to see it for yerself. Stop with the excuses and speculations and get on it !! You know you want it. LOL And if it turns out to be a turd, then good for you/us for doing due diligence on it with an in person inspection.

A serious and intelligent buyer would get a PPi anyway.
    2007 CLK63
    2010 BMW X3
    2001 Audi allroad
    1986 VW Scirocco 16V

~BANNED~

I forgot how to multi-quote. Response to first paragraph:

No, they don't, THAT's why I'm so hung up on records. I don't want to repeat past mistakes ANYMORE. I'm 52 years old now and being bent over the hood of a car all of the time is getting seriously old! It's down right painful! It's the stuff that I can't see that I'm most afraid of. Like the front trans seal for example. (What some call the trans pump seal.) No way to know about that one without proof. (Others here can tell you why I'm obsessed with that one.) I could care less about caps, wires etc. Like I said, engine mounts, timing chain/upper and lower rails, front trans seal, are all of concern to me. And are all a RPITA to deal with. Both of my two M119 cars have fewer miles than this one, and yet two of these horrors are already waiting for me to address RIGHT NOW at this very moment, not somewhere off in the far distant future. These issues are semi-OK in a $5,500 car, but not in a $15,500 car, or even a $8,000 car. Why buy another car that has that stuff in it's future? No thanks. Not for that amount of money. I'd rather bring it here and share it with you all, and let one of the youngsters here deal with it while their backs are still good. Enjoy! It's good for the kids to pay their dues just like I did. Gives them a greater appreciation of us elders! (They have far too little appreciation for us!)

Response to the rest of the post:

The car has such an impressive thread and history here already that I'm sure the VMi and PPi have already been done by someone here. People here are hawks. They don't let good ones stay available for long, they snap them up. I'm intelligent, but I'M NOT A BUYER! That explains why I haven't done them. I'm just a messenger just trying to help out. Come-on, cut me some slack! I've just returned here after a 15 month hiatus!

So let's see, you are at about 160,000 miles now and are still on your original timing chain? And rails too? It's not too much of a reach to believe that it is possible that this car may still be on it's original T/C and rails just 24,000 miles later than yours is.

Honestly, I just simply want one with fewer miles, and if I can't have that, at least proof that the heavy lifting has already been done, and I know that I'm not the only one here who feels that way. And if I can't have that, I want a steal like what the Sauceman got! 125,000ish miles! And his car was presentable enough too when he bought it! (Not now though with that funky paint job he did. Sorry Sauceman.) And it remains BTW the quickest 036 on this site thanks to his N2O kit that he was able to afford because of all the money he saved on the initial purchase price!

I like low miles. That's why I bought the 92 300E I mentioned a few posts back. It's just another knappy M103 car that I didn't even want, and I spent money that was allocated for something else to get it, but I did it simply because of it's low (less than 108,000) miles. (That car has quite a story BTW. When I get some time, I'll create a thread over on Peachparts about it and link it here to my drag racing thread. Unless the admins. indicate that they want said thread created here, but I don't see that happening.)
    Regards,
    Eric
    Last edited by 400Eric; 10-25-2013 at 07:54 AM.

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I think the importance of records is on a sliding scale with the car's mileage and price. Meaning that records/documentation is pretty important with a low miles car, to prove that it is what it's portrayed to be. Of course, a low miles car isn't going to have had much work done, so it's probably the "other" records that more document the mileage that are important.

With a higher mileage car, records may not be so important, except as a general indicator that the car had conscientious previous owners and that a general pattern of maintenance did take place. I'd be interested to know that major things were done by a competent shop, at the very least. A PPI would give plenty of other general data points to support a general pattern of good maintenance.

With a super high mileage car (say 200K or more) records would be the least important to me.

Most people tend to get very hung up on cosmetics ... they want that perfectly shiny car that looks great, with no door dings or wheel rash.... and they don't care as much about the mechanicals. I'd MUCH rather have a mechanically perfect car that has some moderate cosmetic flaws. If I had to choose between spending $600 to have my bumper/front spoiler repainted and $600 to buy a new wiring harness or Baum tools and MB OE parts to replace my lower control arm bushings.... I'd opt for the LCA bushings and tools to replace them. I know, I'm a freak !

~BANNED~

A 200,000 mile car wouldn't cost $15,500 either, yet at 184,000 miles (or whatever it is now), this car is essentially already there. There's too many other cars posted here in this very section in that price range that have fewer miles on them.

I agree wholeheartedly with that last paragraph. So while you may indeed be a freak, you are not alone!

So you are addressing me in the first person now. Does that mean you finally believe that it is really me?

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

So you are addressing me in the first person now. Does that mean you finally believe that it is really me?
    Eh?

~BANNED~

A reference to the doubts Uncle shared on the drag racing thread.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Color is definitely secondary. You wouldn't pick a spouse based on the color of their hair would you?
    Are you kidding? I did exactly that (after a couple of crash-and-burns with the wrong hair color) and it's worked out VERY well, thank you.

Dave merged my thread with another older existing thread. I didn't know that another thread already existed here for this car. I did check for one but I only checked the first page of listings. ... Dave, how did you know? Is it that funky slightly off-center sticker on the air cleaner? Or is it something else? It's not like the new listing has a VIN number or anything.
    Trade secret. I could tell you, but, well, you know...

This color combo really is stunning. I love my brilliant silver/black 93, but it seems very ordinary compared to this combo. Plus the black interior is not ideal in my climate. I'm tempted to go look at this car, very tempted, but I really shouldn't.

On the subject of mileage/records - I bought my car to be a daily driver, so I wasn't looking for low mileage in particular. I ended up buying a 171k mile car after nearly a year long search, and after looking at a number of lower mileage cars that weren't nearly as nice. It came with pretty good documentation going back to ~100k miles, which was big for me because it showed that a number of the known issues had been addressed. I still had to sort a few things after buying, but I felt like I knew what I was getting in to and haven't had any nasty surprises. IMO if you're buying a car to daily drive/put a lot of miles on, you're better off buying a well documented higher mileage car than you are buying something with 60-100k miles and a bunch of expensive work on the horizon.

Somebody dig up the thread for my purchase . . . it'll get the point across . . .

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by edfreeman View Post
    Somebody dig up the thread for my purchase . . . it'll get the point across . . .
    Yup - that was a classic! Here's a link, the fun stuff is in post #43, #48, and #62:

https://www.500eboard.com/forums/show...Hollyweird-CA)

~BANNED~

Quote Originally Posted by Mejnoon View Post
    On the subject of mileage/records - I bought my car to be a daily driver, so I wasn't looking for low mileage in particular. I ended up buying a 171k mile car after nearly a year long search, and after looking at a number of lower mileage cars that weren't nearly as nice. It came with pretty good documentation going back to ~100k miles, which was big for me because it showed that a number of the known issues had been addressed. I still had to sort a few things after buying, but I felt like I knew what I was getting in to and haven't had any nasty surprises. IMO if you're buying a car to daily drive/put a lot of miles on, you're better off buying a well documented higher mileage car than you are buying something with 60-100k miles and a bunch of expensive work on the horizon.
    This is pretty much what I was saying. My original objection to this car is it's lack of documentation. If I can't have documentation, I want low miles. Ideally I'd like both! And a cheap price too!
    Regards,
    Eric

~BANNED~

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Are you kidding? I did exactly that (after a couple of crash-and-burns with the wrong hair color) and it's worked out VERY well, thank you.

While you shouldn't choose a spouse based on hair color, There is something to be said for eliminating a certain hair color!
    Regards,
    Eric

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

For sale again April 2015:

http://monterey.craigslist.org/cto/4956037904.html

1993 Mercedes e500 rare beautiful condition - $11000 (Santa Barbara)

1993 MERCEDES 500E, showroom hand built by Porsche for Mercedes, 1500 units sent to USA, xlnt cond, 2 tone green ext, tan int, full power, 180k miles very fast, $11000.obo

This Mercedes is in beautiful condition

(805)617-6250
    Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Re: FS: 1993 500E, Spruce Green/Cream, 184kmi, $11k (Santa Barbara, CA)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231608238259 <-- Auction ends July 6, 2015. $8500 opening bid, no reserve.

1993 mercedes benz 500E built by Porsche for Mercedes, Rare Tu-Tone Green color

This 93 Mercedes 500E was engineered and hand built by Porsche in the Porsche factory for Mercedes. It is a rare Tu-Tone green (medium metallic over light metallic) color. It is in very good condition and looks, runs and drives (very fast) excellent. This is my daily driver so the mileage will be slightly higher than at time of listing. The paint has the normal flaws of a daily driver i.e. small stone and door chips and scratches; but, overall condition is very nice. The tan interior is excellent, showing little or no wear or damage. It has an updated Alpine stereo/CD player with a power Amp and Parrot hands free telephone system installed (original MBZ stereo included). The engine runs great and is super clean and the transmission shifts smoothly. This is a very nice example od a rare classic Mercedes. I am selling it at a minimal opening bid with no reserve after that. Email me with any questions or concerns. A $500.00 non-refundable deposit must be paid through Pay Pal within 24 hours after close of auction. Full payment and arrangements for pickup or shipment must be made with 7 days of the close of auction. This car is being sold as is and where is with no expressed or implied warranties. Buyer is responsible vehicle pickup or shipping. No returns allowed or accepted.

Re: FS: 1993 500E, Spruce Green/Cream, 188kmi, eBay (Santa Barbara, CA)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253868398184

Relisted with a no reserve opening bid of $15,800.

===========================================

Extremely Rare and iconic “Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing” 1993 Mercedes-Benz 500E Sedan with 194k..Finished in rare Spruce Green over Cream-Beige Leather interior for a stunning color combination…These rare 500E Models were was hand-built in close cooperation with Porsche Engineering Team that modified the engines for this model…With the 500E’s aggressive stance featuring 1.5 inches wider track 0.9 inch lower profile flared fenders side skirts front air-dam and wide tires and over 325hp the 500E sets itself apart from other E-Models. These models were built only from 91′-94′ and only have production numbers just over 10000 units making these extremely desirable on the market. This particular 500E has been extremely well maintained throughout it’s life and has doc maintainance history on CF and a clear title. This was primarily a Beverly Hills California Car for it’s entire life and shows no rust anywhere on the vehicle…Please give me a call for more information or to schedule a test drive or showing…786-560-6535.

1993 MERCEDES-BENZ 500E

Highlights of this 500E:

• It is well-documented with a copy of the window sticker a binder of service records and mileage docs on vehicle report going back to new.
    • It is complete, correct, and basically unmodified, including tool roll with tools, original Becker radio and CD changer, car phone, complete books set in holder, records, and window sticker upgraded magnaflow exhaust and alpine stereo and subwoofer 18 inch original sl 500 monoblocks refinished with Pirelli tires 275/35/18 rear 235/40/18 front.
    • Nearly everything works, which is hard to find in a 500E as things like window regulators, power locks, sunshades, sunroofs etc. fail over time and are expensive and overwhelming to put right when a laundry list of inoperative accessories accumulates
    • Mileage, which is relatively low, especially for a W124, and neatly splits the difference between expensive low mileage cars and the worn/neglected character of most higher mileage cars
    • Condition, which is very nice for the mileage, with usual road wear, but an excellent original interior, straight and solid body
    • Colors, the majority of 500Es were finished in DB199 blauschwarz (black pearl metallic in English), making the timeless spruce green on cream combination extremely unusual

Chances are you know exactly what a 500E is because you’re reading this. In summary, they were built at Porsche’s Rossle Bau factory, the same facility at which the 959 and Audi RS2 were built, to give Mercedes-Benz a reaction (if not direct competitor) to BMW’s M5 by combining R129 500SL running gear with a modified W124 300E body shell. Never as dynamically pure as the M5, the 500E (internally designated W124.036) instead excelled with its huge torque, more luxurious equipment and finishes, fantastic high-speed roadholding, and legendary build quality to provide a car that was both refined and at the time, indecently fast in both a straight line and around corners.
    The contemporary reaction of the press to the car is extremely telling. It is easy to forget how common such cars are today, with offerings that use this formula from every major auto maker. But at the time, if you wanted a sedan that was fast, luxurious, and sporting, the only other credible option in the US was an M5, or perhaps an Audi S4. Consequently, W124.036 sort of blew the press’ mind because, unlike today, it simply was not routine to find sedans that could sprint to 60mph in damn near the same amount of time as a contemporary 911. There is a whole raft of excellent quotes about the 500E, particularly from the April 1992 issue of Automobile (find and buy a copy on eBay if you are into these cars or you can read it electronically here), including:

• “I was going down the autobahn toward Geneva in the 500E, and I was thinking about my friends who are always telling me how great it must be to work at a car magazine and then asking which car is the best I’ve ever driven. And I thought: This is it. This is the best car in the world. This is the reason I work at a car magazine.”
    • “The 500E’s ability to deliver speed and comfort with complete safety makes it a standard by which we will measure all automobiles.”
    • “It’s expensive, exclusive, and more than a little unreal, but it makes you believe once again in the ability of Mercedes to make the ultimate automobile.”
    • “Ah, the speed, the incredible speed. We are utterly intoxicated by the 500E’s speed. We are besotted by it, unmanned, and unwomaned by it.”
    • “It is important that prospective 500E drivers have impeccable credentials as adults. The car is so quick, so eager, so agile, that it makes immature people drive like idiots. We all fell into that latter category. Example: Early evening, medium traffic, good visibility. I’m minding my own business in the right-hand lane with the cruise control set at 80 mph. Another idiot blasts past in a 5.0 Mustang, and all self-discipline vanishes. I’m on him like a leopard on a tethered goat. He tries to hold me off, but he hasn’t a prayer. A small hole opens, I give the Mercedes one more squirt, and the Mustang disappears in my mirror, its headlights getting closer together as though I were watching through the wrong end of a telescope. At three in the morning, in bed, staring back at the darkness, I squirm uncomfortably and accuse myself: “Idiot! You know better than that! You could be in jail right now!”

Almost universally, the primary complaint was the price. The original US price around $85,000 meant buyers really had to “get” the point of this car, especially against an E34 M5 at around $65,000. Nevertheless, a bit more than 1500 E500Es (as enthusiasts refer to them to include both the 1992-93 500E and facelifted 1994 E500) were sold in the United States, with many sharing garages with a host of exotic cars, having been purchased by connoisseurs as suitably exciting day-to-day transport to keep miles off the Porsche, Ferrari, or whatever else.
    Consequently, many E500Es racked up intergalactic mileage in excess of 300,000, which both serves as a testament to their durability (when properly maintained) and makes a properly kept 100,000 mile example surprisingly difficult to find. Certainly there are low mileage leaders to be had as well, and in my opinion, this car neatly splits the difference between a very low mileage pristine original car whose value decreases with each passing mile, and a clapped out and neglected example that has covered enough miles to take it to the moon. The same holds true of prices as well, with unusually low mileage cars exceeding twice the price of a tidy 100,000 mile example.

THIS CAR

The car was sold new to,Katheren Price . It is fitted with both options that were available on the 500E, the Becker 10 disc CD changer and the integrated car phone, although neither appears on the window sticker, likely because these options were always dealer-fitted. The window sticker indicates an original price of $81,730.00 and the car remained in Beverly Hills California for over twenty years, when he sold it with 155,000 miles to its second owner in October 2012
    Its second owner, Larry from San Bernandino California , was the president of a real estate investment firm and kept the car until July of 2015, when he sold it to me with 185.000 miles. I then picked it up a traveled reliably as expected through the country home.
    I bought this car because I have always wanted a 500E. As someone who grew up in the early 90s reading car magazines, I couldn’t help but be captivated by the glowing reviews of journalists. And those fender flares. What a cool car. It was especially appealing to me because I was always a Porsche guy, so what could be cooler than a Porsche sedan (before such a thing actually existed)? I love the details and styling of the car, and the quality is both extraordinary and totally different from what you encounter in today’s cars.
    I was not looking for a 500E when I bought this car, which in part is why it’s for sale. Ive had several Porsches and like most car nuts, I have a “car problem” that manifests itself as a storage shortage. One of my pastimes appears to be buying a car somewhere that’s a suitable road trip distance away, and driving it back to Florida . Over the years, I have done so with an E34 M5 (Ontario Canada), S350 TD(Houston , TX) and so on. Found the limits through the desert wow what a well engineered vehicle.
    Ultimately, I bought this car for a number of reasons, including:

• It is well-documented with a copy of the window sticker, very complete books set, and a binder of service records going back to new.
    • It is complete, correct, and basically unmodified, including tool roll with tools, original Becker radio and CD changer, car phone, complete books set in holder including stamped service book, records, and window sticker
    • Nearly everything works, which is hard to find in a 500E as things like window regulators, power locks, sunshades, sunroofs etc. fail over time and are expensive and overwhelming to put right when a laundry list of inoperative accessories accumulates
    • Mileage, which is relatively low, especially for a W124, and splits the difference between expensive low mileage cars and the worn/neglected character of most higher mileage cars
    • Condition, which is very nice for the mileage, with usual road wear, but an excellent original interior, straight and solid body
    • Colors, the majority of 500Es were finished in DB199 blauschwarz (black pearl metallic in English), making the timeless rare color.

MAINTENANCE

Maintenance is critically important with a 500E, and it is a common sentiment that the average 500E will have at least $5000 in deferred maintenance to contend with, and I can vouch for that! In fact, I have spent over $4,000 on the car (almost exclusively mechanical work) since buying it in July 2015. Naturally the invoices are included but you’ll find a summary below:
    With the previous owner:

• Trans cooler hose, rad hoses, thermostat, upper wiring harness
    • New battery
    • Install new thermostat, new spark plugs, cleaned fuel injectors
    • New radiator and coolant bypass hose
    • Much More to list
    • Since I bought the car in July 2015

• ignition to eliminate lock up in the future
    • flex discs
    • alignment
    • new a/c compressor and dryer
    • New fuel pump
    • New tie rods
    • Install four new brake rotors and pads.
    • Purchase staggered 18” AMG monoblock wheels, chemically strip, refinish with polished lips, install new Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires ($3450.00)
    • I also detailed the car comprehensively, including treating the already very nice leather with Leatherique prestine clean and rejuvenator oil, a fantastic pair of products if you’ve not tried i

Otherwise, I believe everything works. This includes the following:

• Vanity mirror lights
    • Seats including memory function
    • Power steering column adjustment
    • Cruise control
    • All windows
    • Sunroof in all modes
    • Power mirror (right side only)
    • Map lights
    • 12V power supply
    • Central locking including trunk
    • Rear sunshade
    • Rear headrests

My total expenditure on the car since purchasing it for $5,800.00, not including the expensess of the trip up to get it.. Any car enthusiast will tell you that you’ll never recover the money you spend on a car, and I certainly don’t expect to, but now you can share the depressing (for me) quantification of the joy of E500E ownership that I have experienced! And benefit from the dollars I’ve spent too, presumably.

CONDITION

Cosmetically the exterior of the car makes a great impression, with an excellent body and glossy paint with no clearcoat issues. Based on the condition, I’m fairly certain the car has been garaged for most of its life, and certainly it has been for the last 8 years. The front deck lid was repainted at some point and therefore has fewer chips than expected of a car with this mileage. The leading edges of the front and rear fender flares have typical light to moderate road rash from being driven. There are a few chips around the car that have been touched up, but nothing major or worth redoing on a driver level car. The lights are generally excellent, although the headlamp surrounds have some crazing. The front turn signal lenses are new.The glass is very good to excellent which appears to be original to the car because it still has the “A Daimler-Benz Product” Gottlieb Daimler signature sticker. The body is straight and the gaps are consistent and even. All panels operate properly and the door shut noise of these cars fantastic. The rubber trim is in good shape and has been regularly protected with Aerospace 303 (a superb product if you’ve not heard of it) as reported by the previous owner and continued by me.
    The interior is one of the best parts of this car, and its condition supports my suspicion that the car has been garaged for most if not all of its life. The leather is excellent, with only the lightest of wear on the driver’s seat back bolster. It remains supple, even in vulnerable areas such as the rear headrests, which usually lie horizontally on the parcel shelf and are therefore vulnerable to sun damage on cars that spend a lot of time in the sun. The carpets are also excellent as is the dashboard, which is free of cracking, warping, or any other issues. The switches and instruments are excellent and unmodified, as is the rest of the interior, down to the original Becker stereo. A wood shift knob has been fitted. The factory car phone is in place and turns on (“no service”). It even beeps through the speakers when you first turn the car on, which was a total throwback sound to me from a car my mom had when I was a child. The wood is very good overall with one small hairline crack on the front center console between two of the window switches. The rear center console also has some cracking on the front portion though the veneered roller lids are free of cracks. The wood door filets and dash trim are excellent, as are the door panels themselves. The first aid kit is in place in the compartment on the parcel shelf. The headliner is sagging at the rear only and there is a small cut above the left rear passenger’s grab handle. The trunk is in excellent shape with no wear or issues of significance. The original 16” spare wheel is in place in the trunk, along with the tool roll and Becker 10 CD autochanger.
    The engine compartment is very clean for a driver level car. I have noted no modifications and everything seems to be in order to my eye, bearing in mind that I’m not a mechanic. The chassis plate is painted to match the car as it should be and the foam intake tubes that go to the plenum are showing their age, as they often do in these cars. The structural elements of the undercarriage are in excellent shape while some mechanical components have surface rust on them.

DRIVING

The car is a pleasure to drive. It is certainly quick, although the transmission is dim-witted by modern standards, and it doesn’t have 500hp like a modern AMG product. But that’s not the point. Compared to contemporary cars, it’s a revelation. The part of the car that most consistently impresses me is probably the chassis. The car is extremely composed when cornering, and the limits are impressively high for a chassis design of this age. The grip and lack of roll are impressive, and the car can easily be hustled. The torque is fantastic, and the rate at which the speedometer sweeps upwards above 75mph is impressive. One of the car’s party tricks is the first gear start, which is genuinely thrilling, and the other is to get the transmission to kick down from 4th to 3rd gear at about 50mph, which puts the motor in the thick of the torque band and gives you a terrific boot in the ass that will make you giggle like a little girl if you’re like me. The motor is strong and torquey, the gearbox shifts positively with no untoward behaviors, the brakes are impressively good for street use (though I tend to plan my deceleration ahead and don’t use the brakes whole lot), and there’s a solidity and weight to the controls that’s very different from modern cars.

COMPLETENESS

I was very attracted to this car by its completeness. Here’s a list of things included with the car:

• Very complete books set including:
      • Leather holder
      • Owner’s manual
      • Stamped service book up through 82,500 miles
      • Filled out warranty book (all three of these books stickers of original selling dealer on them)
      • ASR information supplement booklet
      • SRS information booklet
      • Car care guide booklet
      • Integrated car phone booklet
      • Roadside assistance pamphlet
      • Approved service products (fluids, oils and lubricants) pamphlet
      • Pirelli pamphlet
      • Becker radio operating booklet
      • Becker radio cards

• Service records
    • copy of original window sticker
    • Tool roll with tools
    • Original full size spare with tire
    • Jack
    • First aid kit
    • Carfax (ask if you’d like to see it)
    • Old license plates from California
    • Miscellaneous old registration slips

CONCLUSION

It’s easy to see why these cars have developed such a legendary following. Prices have been trickling up in recent years, and I suspect the attrition rate of these cars has been fairly high because they were often used for daily transport, much more so than a car like an SL or a 911. This particular example has a lot going for it, including its history, completeness, fairly low mileage, and recent maintenance work, and I hope its new owner gets the same joy from it that I have. For me, the 500E was and remains one of those all-time bucket list cars and every time I park it and walk away, I can’t help but look over my shoulder. I particularly enjoy that I am able to get that level of satisfaction out of a car that is relatively inexpensive compared to some of my other “need to own” cars.
    Classic car ownership is like a relationship. You want everyone involved to leave better than when they came in, but that’s often not the case. Certainly this 500E is a hell of a lot better than when I got it, and while it’s been a costly few months, it has been emotionally satisfying to own what is a very nice example of one of my dream cars, and presumably the money I’ve spent will make life easier for its next keeper. I had intended to sell this car immediately after my road trip, but it got under my skin and I felt obligated to make the car nicer because I could see its potential and felt that it deserved it. It pains me to sell this car and I would love to own another W124.036 someday, but I don’t really have anywhere to put it.
    I have tried to be as comprehensive and transparent in the description of this car as possible, and it’s written in the way that I wish all sellers would when they were selling a car. If you have any remaining questions, don’t hesitate to ask me. I’m happy to take the car for an inspection at your expense and to assist with shipping or pick you up from the airport if you fly in. All I ask is that you be an enthusiastic next caretaker for this car who continues to improve and cherish it.

1993 500E Signal Red/Parchment
    1987 300TDT Ivory/Palomino
    1995 E320 Cabrio Black/Parchment
    1969 280SL Silver/Green - 1970 280SL Black/Parchmen
    1987 560SL Signal Red/Palomino

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogeyman For This Useful Post:

Benz (1 Week Ago), gsxr (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)