Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: group buy - Wavetrac differentials for w124

Re: group buy - Wavetrac differentials for w124

Yes my mistake, stopped reading after the to small comment.

203-994-20-35 c-clips x2
    Regards Martin
    E420 Sportline 175k km 1994 - 199 Blauschwarz - Black Leather - ASR - AC - 18" Lorinser RS 1
    260E 270k km 1992 - 702 Rauchsilber - ASD - AC
    230TE 330k km 1992 - AC /// E220 200k km 1995

To bad I missed this group buy by a year....I have wavetrac in my rwd converted 997 turbo, any chance wavetrac would produce more of these units?

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I have an unused/new in box unit available, still at the Jack-Man's batcave....it could be available, at a price.

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    I have an unused/new in box unit available, still at the Jack-Man's batcave....it could be available, at a price.
    I would be interested at the right price. Why didn't you install it, Gerry?

Chris

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgo_Chris View Post
    To bad I missed this group buy by a year....I have wavetrac in my rwd converted 997 turbo, any chance wavetrac would produce more of these units?
    AFAIK, they are available new from your favorite WaveTrac dealer. The group buy was for a reduced price. Dunno what the going rate is nowadays but IIRC, retail is $1395?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Glasgo_Chris (04-22-2015)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I would be interested at the right price. Why didn't you install it, Gerry?

Chris
    I've been intending to, but just haven't made it up to College Station to hang with the Jack-Man. Hopefully will get up there soon. I don't know what the price would be, have to think about that. Hadn't seriously thought of selling it before.

They were running a special at SEMA last year but I don't remember what the price was. I know it included shipping. I will check it out again this year. of course that won't be until next November. I'll post again before I go if anyone wants me to check anything out for them. I will also have a few extra passes if anyone is interested in going. The first week of November in Vegas. It's always a blast and a car guys Mecca.

1992 500E
    1994 E500
    2011 E550 4Matic

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maui For This Useful Post:

Glasgo_Chris (04-22-2015), J-Sauce (04-22-2015)

Let me know, Gerry. I'm down the street from you in River Oaks area. Anyone have any feedback on their LSD installed? I like going sideways, curious to hear how the car feels doing so.

Chris

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

To be honest, it will probably be cheaper to get one direct from WaveTrac than I'd sell mine for. Jono may also have an extra unit for sale. I know he bought a number of them including a couple of extras.

Let me know, Gerry. I'm down the street from you in River Oaks area. Anyone have any feedback on their LSD installed? I like going sideways, curious to hear how the car feels doing so.

Chris
    Give 'em a shout , here's their site still showing 500E application: http://www.wavetrac.net/application.htm

Last I checked back in September last year they were on back order . I believe this group buy cleaned them out but should be in stock now.

If you like to drive hard the difference is night and day. Normal driving upto 3/4 throttle , off the lights, you can certainly feel it bite. As for going side ways and tire smokin' stuff....sure but you'd need to defeat ASR . IMO , LSD and SA brakes are the best upgrades you can do to add to that great driving experience with these cars.

@gerry, when you come over, and if you have time , we'll borrow Martin's to hoon around in so you'll feel the difference.
    1994 E fünfhundert (170kkm sold )
    1997 S 600 L (164kmiles sold )
    2004 ML270 (64kmiles remap oil burner sold)
    2001 CLK55 AMG (79kmiles)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

OK, sounds good. I'll have the day Sunday May 17 free, it looks like. Rest of the trip is going to be tight, though I'll be in London through Friday May 22.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

bing (04-23-2015)

That's "Sir 5SR"
    to you, Bucko!

group buy - Wavetrac differentials for w124

Contact Matt @ Leistung Autohaus.

We have 3 units in stock.
    Last edited by 5thscaleracer; 04-26-2015 at 06:52 PM.

there you go, hit up Leistung!
    Performance parts for w126, r/c107, w201, w124, m117, m119, m102, m104 and few other things.
    Reproduction 17" Penta wheels coming soon!

http://www.FeindMotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by Maui View Post
    They were running a special at SEMA last year but I don't remember what the price was. I know it included shipping. I will check it out again this year. of course that won't be until next November. I'll post again before I go if anyone wants me to check anything out for them. I will also have a few extra passes if anyone is interested in going. The first week of November in Vegas. It's always a blast and a car guys Mecca.
    I would love love love to go!!! I've been meaning to plan a trip and SEMA would be the perfect excuse hehe
    Pearl Black '92 500E

Metallic Blue '86 528e

Little bump, does anyone know if Wavetrac has these in stock?

I'm shopping around for one of these for my E500, but if we have enough interest, perhaps someone (US-based) could arrange for yet another GB at reduced prices? :P

That's "Sir 5SR"
    to you, Bucko!

No they are not stocked at wavetrac. If you need them and if Leistung is out of stock you will need a 4-6 week lead time to place your order.

I believe Leistung still has a few in stock but if push comes to shove a reorder can be done.

"Nit-Picky and
    Bitter Mechanic"

I'd be surprised if there was enough retail demand to generate sufficient orders for a reduced buy in...:-/

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Blue Ridge Mercedes Jonathan Hodgman
    Mercedes Repair Atlanta
    http://www.blueridgemb.com/
    08 E63 05 E55 Estate 95 S600 94 SL700 93 500E Brumos/RTech 92 500E T/R 93 500E (122)
    91 560SEC ECE 87 Hammer Coupe, Sedan and Wagon 6.0L 32V 86 560SEL AMG 6.0L 32V

And one more question for the experts out there...

Will this differential fit on a 3.27 210mm ring and pinion set? It seems some other doffs won't clear this ratio.

Edit-guess not. Found info in previous post. Darn
    Last edited by Raffaelli; 12-18-2015 at 08:47 AM.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by 5thscaleracer View Post
    No they are not stocked at wavetrac. If you need them and if Leistung is out of stock you will need a 4-6 week lead time to place your order.
    If WaveTrac is out of stock, do they have any plans for another production run (assuming full price, no discount)? If they are out of stock, that sucks, as Dana still owes me a unit that he conveniently forgot to send. (And also forgot to return the stock parts I sent for R&D.)

That's "Sir 5SR"
    to you, Bucko!

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    If WaveTrac is out of stock, do they have any plans for another production run (assuming full price, no discount)? If they are out of stock, that sucks, as Dana still owes me a unit that he conveniently forgot to send. (And also forgot to return the stock parts I sent for R&D.)

Let me look into this

I have a NIB Wavetrac unit, never opened, possibly for sale if someone NEEDS one.

PM me if interested. I can ship same day as final payment is received.

Cheers,
    Gerry

amin206

Hello I saw wavetrack lsd for w124 is still available in their site. but I have a question is that the same product as you guys bought it in 2014-15 or is it different?

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by amin206 View Post
    Hello I saw wavetrack lsd for w124 is still available in their site. but I have a question is that the same product as you guys bought it in 2014-15 or is it different?
    Should be identical. I'm not aware of any changes but you could always contact Wavetrac directly and ask.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

JC220 (05-02-2018), TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

"Nit-Picky and
    Bitter Mechanic"

Should be identical. I'm not aware of any changes but you could always contact Wavetrac directly and ask.

Same thing. No changes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Mercedes Repair Atlanta
    08 E63 05 E55 Estate 95 S600 94 SL700 93 500E Brumos/RTech 92 500E T/R 93 500E (122)

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhodg5ck For This Useful Post:

TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

That's "Sir 5SR"
    to you, Bucko!

Quote Originally Posted by amin206 View Post

Its the same unit nothing was changed...

Leistung is a Stocking dealer for this specific diff so if you need one contact them directly. www.leistungautohaus.com

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I thought it was a limited production run for the group buy and shortly thereafter, but I guess I was mistaken. Interesting and good to know.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post
    I thought it was a limited production run for the group buy and shortly thereafter, but I guess I was mistaken. Interesting and good to know.
    Some questions:

1. How did everyone like the wavetrac LSD in the end? Noisy/clunky, or not?

2. Who are these blokes on ebay advertising $1245?

3. Does this thing come with some instructions for installation?

4. Did anyone ever find the appropriate c-clips for the stock axle stubs?

Thanks

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to atg For This Useful Post:

gasers (2 Weeks Ago), Klink (2 Weeks Ago), skikrazey (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (2 Weeks Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

1) There is zero noise or clunkiness from the WaveTrac, Quaife, or factory clutch-type LSD. But unless you track your car, it's questionable if you'd ever notice the difference with normal street driving.

2) No idea about the eBay vendors.

3) Zero instructions. Either pay a rear-end shop that knows how to do Mercedes diffs (this is critical!), or DIY it with the FSM (advanced job, tool fabrication required).

4) Yes, I thought at least with the group buy the clips were included, but WaveTrac probably cheaped out and didn't put them in the box. The part number should be buried in a thread somewhere.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Rouven036 (2 Weeks Ago), skikrazey (2 Weeks Ago)

"Nit-Picky and
    Bitter Mechanic"

Only thing I will add/counter to dave is I think a LSD is an Awesome mod...esp on the street!

Couple our Early ASR w/ a proper LSD and it no longer becomes a total kill joy...esp if you're trying to get the jump/make a quick u-turn or anything else that involves turning and the gas pedal @ more then 1/2 way.

I also find the cars more stable when driving spiritedly up/around/through the twisties...and should things get a little over the top ASR actually cuts in @ moments that make Sense once both wheels are being driven... If things Really get out of hand, I find how the car responds to my inputs to correct far more natural w/ an LSD. Open diff's do strange things when going sideways...@ least strange in my mind.

Anywho, i've said it before but quantifying an LSD in an 036 is one of the harder things to do verbally but hop back and forth from one w/ LSD vs not, go for a run down your fav road and you'll be Sold...

Mercedes Repair Atlanta

38. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jhodg5ck For This Useful Post:

Eno (2 Weeks Ago), gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), Klink (2 Weeks Ago), maw1124 (2 Weeks Ago), Rouven036 (2 Weeks Ago), sheward (2 Weeks Ago), skikrazey (2 Weeks Ago)

Arrow Re: group buy - Wavetrac differentials for w124

Quote Originally Posted by jhodg5ck View Post
    Only thing I will add/counter to dave is I think a LSD is an Awesome mod...esp on the street!

Couple our Early ASR w/ a proper LSD and it no longer becomes a total kill joy...esp if you're trying to get the jump/make a quick u-turn or anything else that involves turning and the gas pedal @ more then 1/2 way.

I also find the cars more stable when driving spiritedly up/around/through the twisties...and should things get a little over the top ASR actually cuts in @ moments that make Sense once both wheels are being driven... If things Really get out of hand, I find how the car responds to my inputs to correct far more natural w/ an LSD. Open diff's do strange things when going sideways...@ least strange in my mind.

Anywho, i've said it before but quantifying an LSD in an 036 is one of the harder things to do verbally but hop back and forth from one w/ LSD vs not, go for a run down your fav road and you'll be Sold...

I dont really drive that hard, but the e420 with a 2.82 and no asr is a bit squirrely, so I am pretty sure an 87 td 606 with compound turbos and 4-500 hp and gobs of torque with a 2.65 and no asr is going to require both rear tires to put the power down, esp on corner exits and launching.

ECS tuning has the diff for 1245.50. I keep seeing higher numbers but not sure why.

I would be happy to pay someone to do the job, but I am not sure what it is worth. Maybe $200. Any more and I would rather futz around with it myself and order some bearings and seals.

Thanks for the input. Any vids of the install process? I think my 8 year old and I can enjoy the build together.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

If you have a car WITHOUT ASR... by all means, you need a limited-slip diff! It's a YUGE difference compared to a peg-leg open diff.

Labor to install is somewhere in the range of 6-10 hours total, including pulling the diff out of the car, taking it apart, installing the LSD, checking backlash & preload, praying it doesn't need to have the shims adjusted, then re-installing everything. This is advanced DIY and other than a few photos on my website, the main reference is the FSM (from the 126 chassis) which walks you through the process. If you don't have access to precision dial gauges and have the ability fabricate some tools as needed, you'll be far better off paying someone that has done this before. If you screw it up, it's an expensive lesson.

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

atg (2 Weeks Ago), Rouven036 (2 Weeks Ago), skikrazey (2 Weeks Ago)

"Nit-Picky and
    Bitter Mechanic"

If you have a car WITHOUT ASR... by all means, you need a limited-slip diff! It's a YUGE difference compared to a peg-leg open diff.

Labor to install is somewhere in the range of 6-10 hours total, including pulling the diff out of the car, taking it apart, installing the LSD, checking backlash & preload, praying it doesn't need to have the shims adjusted, then re-installing everything. This is advanced DIY and other than a few photos on my website, the main reference is the FSM (from the 126 chassis) which walks you through the process. If you don't have access to precision dial gauges and have the ability fabricate some tools as needed, you'll be far better off paying someone that has done this before. If you screw it up, it's an expensive lesson.
    It's 14+ hours per MB to R&R and Build the diff.

I'd split that time about in 1/2 for each part of the job.

jono
    Mercedes Repair Atlanta

43. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jhodg5ck For This Useful Post:

atg (2 Weeks Ago), gsxr (2 Weeks Ago), Rouven036 (2 Weeks Ago), skikrazey (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (1 Weeks Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by jhodg5ck View Post
    It's 14+ hours per MB to R&R and Build the diff.

I'd split that time about in 1/2 for each part of the job.
    It's been years since I've done this, but IIRC pulling the pumpkin out of the car wasn't too bad, 1-2 hours if all the fasteners cooperate... another 1-2 for installation. Strip any bolt heads or break stuff, and uh-oh.

The LSD install, I never timed it, but it can be a LOT of hours. I'd estimate it takes me 10 or so but I'm not rushing it. I figured a pro shop that has done many could possibly manage it in 4-6 hours, that's just for a carrier R&R, and checking preload/backlash. Add hours more if it needs re-shimming: have to take it apart AGAIN, put it all together again, measure again, if still not right you take it apart and re-shim... repeat as needed. Not fun. This is assuming you do not touch the pinion at all. If the pinion is removed to replace the bearings, add another pile of hours. I leave the pinion alone if it's smooth and quiet.

All of which is why I like to upgrade a spare diff on the bench so I can take my time, then just spend the couple hours swapping the pumpkin in the car... no downtime.

atg, if you are anywhere near Hotlanta, I'd call Jono and see what he can work out for an installed WaveTrac... I believe he's an authorized dealer, and is one of the few places in the USA that I'd trust to do it right.

45. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

atg (2 Weeks Ago), jhodg5ck (2 Weeks Ago), Klink (2 Weeks Ago), Rouven036 (2 Weeks Ago), skikrazey (2 Weeks Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

I recommend that ONLY professionals do pumpkin work. Sort of like alignments.

When I had the 3.07 put in my coupe back around 2005, definitely had a competent rear end shop do the work.

I’d do same with a WaveTrac install too.

47. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Klink (2 Weeks Ago), skikrazey (2 Weeks Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

I am replacing the diff with a 210mm. So the diff is already on my bench. I didnt want to do this now actually, but then I lost a half shaft so it needed a new subframe anyway as the diff got ripped halfway out.

So I got a 500e subframe from Matt last weekend on my way to san diego. I already had the 500sl diff. Half shafts went to cvjreman in Denver on Monday for an overhaul. 420 driveline arrived yesterday. Urethane bushings from Poland are all on my bench. Four bolt flange for the transmission output is en route. All the links are pretty much new and what isnt will get new bushings anyway. Need some diff mounts I guess. And some guibos. And a center support and bearing.

I hate to be a cheapskate as it is clear Matt knows what he is doing, but dropping 2k on a diff rebuild wasn't really something had planned for right now. I keep thinking a diff rebuild should be cheaper than that, even with 1250 plus bearings and seals in parts. $700 in labor when the diff is already out? Seems steep.

WaveTrac should supply the spring clips needs to retain the axle stub shafts, but I guess we'll find out when we receive them.

You'll need to buy other stuff separately... I'd replace the differential side oil seals, O-rings for the side bearing carriers, and the ASR sensor O-rings too. Oh, you'll need to buy the bearings too... part numbers shown here, click the "bearing" pics. We'll need to have Gerry create one of his signature "HOW TO" threads for the LSD install.

NOTE: There is an EPC error on the ASR sensor O-rings... EPC only shows the thick O-ring for plastic ASR sensors, it should also show the thin O-ring for metal sensors. Every 036 that I've touched has the metal sensors, which requires O-ring 014-997-97-48 (not shown in EPC).

Anyone have part numbers for the bearings?

I think 700$ is a good price. Given the tools and experience you need to do the job professionally. I had to change the shims on my diff during the Wavetrac install. Luckily I had several shims in my parts bin. Quite some are NLA for now but a specialized shop might have some in the parts bin too.
    W123, W124, R129, W163, W201, R230

51. The Following User Says Thank You to Rouven036 For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Week Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by atg View Post
    I hate to be a cheapskate as it is clear Matt knows what he is doing, but dropping 2k on a diff rebuild wasn't really something had planned for right now. I keep thinking a diff rebuild should be cheaper than that, even with 1250 plus bearings and seals in parts. $700 in labor when the diff is already out? Seems steep.
    If you DIY the job, you'll see why they charge what they do. $700 isn't cheap for an LSD install, but it's not outrageous either. If the $700 includes fiddling with the pinion too, just pay the man.

Keep in mind the WaveTrac has no wear parts, has a lifetime warranty, and you could remove+resell for about what you'd have in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rouven036 View Post
    I think 700$ is a good price. Given the tools and experience you need to do the job professionally. I had to change the shims on my diff during the Wavetrac install. Luckily I had several shims in my parts bin. Quite some are NLA for now but a specialized shop might have some in the parts bin too.
    Of the 13 shim thicknesses originally available, only 6 were still available a few years ago; the rest are NLA. I don't know current status. MB expects you to use a thicker shim and have it machined down as needed. To get the numbers exactly in spec, you often need increments of 0.05mm. Meaning that (for example) a 1.70 may be too much, 1.60 is too little, and 1.65 would be just right. And MB only has 1.60 and 1.80 available, so you need to buy a 1.80 (or use that 1.70 you just tried) and machine it. Fun stuff.

53. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

Rouven036 (1 Week Ago), skikrazey (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

If you DIY the job, you'll see why they charge what they do. $700 isn't cheap for an LSD install, but it's not outrageous either. If the $700 includes fiddling with the pinion too, just pay the man.
    I kind of get it, but I would think any decent shop is going to have or be able to fabricate any type of shim required. I am happy to pay for good work but in reality I don't have any way to get the diff to Leistung this week and I am trying to get this job done. Metric, Sun Valley etc are all within about 20 min of my house. I'm guessing there is a rear end shop closer to me that can handle this.

55. The Following User Says Thank You to atg For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Week Ago)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

I kind of get it, but I would think any decent shop is going to have or be able to fabricate any type of shim required. I am happy to pay for good work but in reality I don't have any way to get the diff to Leistung this week and I am trying to get this job done. Metric, Sun Valley etc are all within about 20 min of my house. I'm guessing there is a rear end shop closer to me that can handle this.
    Just make sure the rear-end shop has done Mercedes diffs, and is familiar with the shims. If not... don't let them touch it.

Remember the WaveTrac needs special fluid, as mentioned previously, the Motul Gear 300 is recommended. And do not use the OE diff cover sealant (blue Hylomar), use the MB black goo (or Right Stuff).

57. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

600Eric (1 Week Ago), atg (1 Week Ago), Rouven036 (1 Week Ago), TerryA (1 Week Ago)

If I were you I would find the time to get it to Matt. Don’t mess around trying to save a $.

Think “Pay me now or pay me later”
    Terry

59. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TerryA For This Useful Post:

atg (1 Week Ago), gerryvz (1 Week Ago)

Quote Originally Posted by TerryA View Post
    If I were you I would find the time to get it to Matt. Don’t mess around trying to save a $.

Think “Pay me now or pay me later”
    Yah you may be right about that. If I had thought about it I would have dropped it there when I scooped up the subframe from him.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

61. The Following User Says Thank You to atg For This Useful Post:

TerryA (1 Week Ago)

Is there a write up on this install anywhere? Or a parts list?

Is there a write up on this install anywhere? Or a parts list?

I already have the fsm so will just follow that.