http://www.ebay.com/itm/201039958134 <--eBay auction ended Feb-26, 2014. Reserve auction. Sold for $9,300.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201053119388 <--eBay auction ended Mar-22, 2014. No reserve. Sold for $6,355.
Also on Craigslist for $9500:
1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E Sedan 4-Door 5.0L *RARE!!! Hand Built by Porsche
I am selling my beautiful and rare 500E.
As you may know, the 500E was a joint collaboration between Mercedes and Porsche to build the fastest sedan in the world.
The resulting 500E is a beast, and in the early 90's it was both feared and respected by the drivers it passed on the Interstates and Autobahns.
These rare and expensive cars were out of reach for most in 1992, and today you can buy this outstanding example for pennies on the dollar!
1 of 1502 imported 1992-95
Porsche developed and hand built to be the fastest sedan sold in USA in 1992
Metallic black over black leather
18" CLS staggered replica wheels with 85%+ tires
Lowered with H&R springs Koni adjustable front shocks
Factory SLS rear shocks in good condition
Slotted rotors with Porterfield RS brake pads
All factory options
283k mi on chassis Engine refreshed around 200k
250 miles on $3,500 freshly rebuilt transmission
Deep throaty exhaust
Huge stack of service records
Exterior 8/10 (typical chips from road use, presents very well)
Previous ownership by well known MB Enthusiast writer Reed Hitchcock.
A few notes:
- My 500E starts, runs, drives, stops, etc, as it should. It is a joy to drive!
- While it has high miles, keep in mind it has been loved and maintained by MB experts, and has received an engine refresh and complete transmission rebuild
- The car presents very well, but keep in mind that this 500E is 22 years old, so the original paint has the paint chips/marks one would expect from a car that has been driven and enjoyed
- The factory radio is currently locked and needs the code to unlock it. I have not taken the time to dig this out of the mountain of paperwork I have for the car.
- The rear antenna is stuck. I haven't forced it, out of fear of breaking it.
- I have a large box of new and OEM take off parts that will convey with the car.
Mentioned as 1 of "Ten future collectible cars" by Car & Driver, Hemmings, and several other publications.
According to "The Illustrated Buyer's Guide to Mercedes Benz" by Frank Barrett:
The 1992-1993 500E's and 1994 E500's have a four (4) star rating. Frank Barrett gives a nice description of the car, and mentions MB's tradition of building the world's fastest and finest sedans, like the 300 SEL 6.3 and the 450 SEL 6.9. He also mentions AMG built a Hammer model, but sold very few at $150,000 / copy. He concludes the summary of this car with the following:
"The 500E is the prime Mercedes-Benz collector car of the early 1990's".
Details of sale:
Available for purchase and inspection in Monteagle TN 37356
Cash or Certified Check
2000.00 deposit due via PayPal at auction close
Full payment due within 10 days of auction close
I am advertising my car locally, and reserve the right to cancel all bids, and end my auction early should I find a local buyer.