Thread: HOW-TO: Replacing M104 (W463) Fan Clutch

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

HOW-TO: Replacing M104 (W463) Fan Clutch

Recently, I had an issue by where my 1994 G-Wagen (M104 engine) ran between 110C and 120C, particularly during uphill climbs and at slow speeds. After some research, I diagnosed the issue as a defective fan clutch.

Thus, replacement of the fan clutch was in order.

The MB part number for the fan clutch (as found in the G320 with M104) is the same as the normal M103/M104 part -- 103 200 11 22. The current MB list price (as of June, 2014) is $292.00. The unit I received from MB was manufactured in Germany by Horton.

Here is a photo pictorial of the steps required to remove and replace the fan clutch in a 1995 G320 (M104 gas engine). I hope this is helpful to someone in the future.

Tools required are:

• a 90-degree hooked awl-type tool;
    • a flat-blade screwdriver;
    • a 7mm Allen key (long is better);
    • and the special 7mm MB "stubby" socket for the fan clutch bolt (this is not required but makes the job a bit easier).

It's also a good idea, before starting the job, to insert a piece of cardboard on the backside of the radiator to protect the fins from any accidental bumping or gouging from the Allen key and socket used to remove the fan clutch center bolt.

Key steps:

Here's an overview of the fan clutch area.
    IMG_5556.JPG

Remove the fan shroud by releasing the top retainer.
    IMG_5558.JPG IMG_5557.JPG

Twist the smaller (rear) portion of the fan shroud and move it backward over the fan toward the cylinder head. Remove the two metal fan shroud retaining clips on the sides of the shroud. A small or medium flat-blade screwdriver makes this job a simple flick of the wrist.
    IMG_5559.jpg

Carefully lift the larger (front-most) portion of the fan shroud upward and lift it out of the engine compartment
    IMG_5555.JPG IMG_5554.JPG

Move the smaller portion of the fan shroud forward off of the fan, and lift it out of the engine compartment.
    IMG_5553.JPG

Using the 90-degree hooked tool, wedge the end of the tool through one of the holes in the base of the emergency pin piece and in between two of the aluminum fan clutch blades. Turn the fan slightly to solidly wedge the tool in place.
    IMG_5552.JPG IMG_5549.JPG

Carefully insert the short end of the Allen key into the center fan clutch bolt. Turn the Allen key counter-clockwise (as you face the radiator from the front of the vehicle) and loosen the center bolt, holding the handle of the hooked tool in the other hand to keep it securely wedged into place.
    IMG_5551.JPG IMG_5550.jpg

Remove the Allen key and insert the stubby MB socket into the center fan clutch bolt. Turn the socket with your fingers in a counter-clockwise direction to remove and then extract the bolt. If you don't have this socket, you can remove the bolt with more turns of the Allen key, until you can grip the head of the bolt with your fingers to remove it.
    IMG_5548.JPG IMG_5547.JPG IMG_5546.JPG

Remove the bolt and then CAREFULLY wiggle the fan/clutch assembly back and forth to loosen it from the pulley. DO NOT let the fan/clutch assembly touch the back of the radiator so as to avoid damage to the radiator and/or cardboard protecting the fins.
    IMG_5545.JPG IMG_5544.JPG

Once the fan/clutch assembly is removed, use a 5mm Allen key to loosen and remove the three bolts holding the clutch to the fan.
    IMG_5525.JPG IMG_5526.JPG IMG_5527.JPG IMG_5528.JPG

Use brake cleaner or other solvent to clean the fan assembly, as needed.

Re-install the clutch into the fan, and then the fan/clutch back onto the front of the motor, using the reverse of the previously outlined steps.
    IMG_5530.JPG IMG_5531.JPG IMG_5532.JPG IMG_5533.JPG IMG_5537.JPG IMG_5538.jpg IMG_5539.JPG IMG_5540.jpg IMG_5542.JPG

Cheers,
    Gerry

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

nocfn (1 Week Ago)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Re: HOW-TO: Replacing M104 (W463) Fan Clutch

I replaced the fan clutch again yesterday on the G320. It seems that the clutch that I installed back in 2014 has leaked out some of its fluid, and its effectiveness has been wanting for the past year or so.

Same part number and all ... the process only took 15 minutes to do, fortunately.

It seems that the "thin" fan clutches for various motors don't seem to be as reliable or as good at holding fluid as the "thick" fan clutches like the one used with the E500E.

I'm driving the 30 miles to Washington Reagan Airport now, and will test out the new clutch to see how effective it is at controlling coolant temps.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

gsxr (1 Week Ago), JC220 (1 Week Ago), Klink (1 Week Ago)

Re: HOW-TO: Replacing M104 (W463) Fan Clutch

Quote Originally Posted by gerryvz View Post

It seems that the "thin" fan clutches for various motors don't seem to be as reliable or as good at holding fluid as the "thick" fan clutches like the one used with the E500E.
    Exactly my experience over the years. Then again, there were so many of the thick ones that were so poorly calibrated with many barely working at all...
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Klink For This Useful Post:

500AMM (1 Week Ago), gsxr (1 Week Ago), JC220 (1 Week Ago), nocfn (1 Week Ago)