Results 1 to 27 of 27

Thread: pushing limits of offset - anyone running anything this aggressive?

  1. #1
    Senior Member 500ebeebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    109

    pushing limits of offset - anyone running anything this aggressive?

    looking at a set of rims right now that would likely push the limits of offset and i'm wondering if anyone is running anything this aggressive. i've looked at several threads that tell me this will be close, but i also don't want to run a stretched tire to make this work. i'm hoping for a 275 or 285 rear tire on a 10" rim. i'll likely run Conti Extreme DW, which have a round profile and will aid in getting the tire inside the fenders.

    i know 2phast has said he is running/has run 18x9 all around with a final offset of ET15 (ET35 + 20mm spacers) which would indicate the fronts would likely work, but the rears would be tight. i've also run across a wheel site that showed a 18" BBS rim for the 500E that was a 10" rear with ET20 (3 mils more than i'm looking at).

    specs of the rims are below. would like to hear from anyone running anything close and whether there were/are any clearance issues.

    8.5" front ET21
    10" rear ET23

    thoughts? thanks!
    '92 500E - 199/blk, '97 C4S - blk/blk
    '87 911 - blk/tan, '86 951 - blk/blk
    '05 V70R - blk/tan

    past: '05 C2S, '93 RSA, '78 euro 928, '67 911, '70 914, '88 M3, '88 M5, '95 M3, '95 LTW, '74 02, '76 02, '95.5 S6, '04 S4 avant...

  2. #2
    E500E Guru 2phast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Kirkland, Washington
    Posts
    1,689

    Re: pushing limits of offset - anyone running anything this aggressive?

    Quote Originally Posted by 500ebeebe View Post
    looking at a set of rims right now that would likely push the limits of offset and i'm wondering if anyone is running anything this aggressive. i've looked at several threads that tell me this will be close, but i also don't want to run a stretched tire to make this work. i'm hoping for a 275 or 285 rear tire on a 10" rim. i'll likely run Conti Extreme DW, which have a round profile and will aid in getting the tire inside the fenders.

    i know 2phast has said he is running/has run 18x9 all around with a final offset of ET15 (ET35 + 20mm spacers) which would indicate the fronts would likely work, but the rears would be tight. i've also run across a wheel site that showed a 18" BBS rim for the 500E that was a 10" rear with ET20 (3 mils more than i'm looking at).

    specs of the rims are below. would like to hear from anyone running anything close and whether there were/are any clearance issues.

    8.5" front ET21
    10" rear ET23

    thoughts? thanks!
    Hmm, that wasn't me.

    I run AMG two piece monoblocks, 18x8.5" 25mm offset front and 18x10" 25mm offset rear. Given these sizes/offsets and how they fit my car, the sizes you list would definitely work.
    1993 500E
    http://2phast.com/500e/500e-sig.jpg

  3. #3
    Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...
    Glen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Carlsbad, CA USA
    Posts
    2,755

    Re: pushing limits of offset - anyone running anything this aggressive?

    Fronts will be fine, I've run an 8.5 with 245/40 and effective ET17 with no rubbing issues.
    I suspect the rear with 285's should be fine too...but personally, I would run a 275 just be safe, and I think looks better aesthetically.
    '94 E500 (744) | '94 E500 (199)         Misc. snapshots

  4. #4
    Senior Member 500ebeebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    109

    Re: pushing limits of offset - anyone running anything this aggressive?

    thanks for the replies. sorry if i had you mixed up with another car/owner, 2phast. i knew your car, but i thought i saw something about you running those 20mm spacers. i do have notes of your tire sizes, which also seem to match what glen runs and is suggesting - 245/40-18 and 275/35-18.

    i do have one question based on the photo below. if you are running 18x10 with 25mm offset (and a 275 tire), are you sure a 23mm offset won't sit just a bit too far out? i do want a flush look (and really like the wheel i'm considering), but i don't want it proud of the fender line (that always looks odd to me). i feel like it's going to be right at that limit. maybe the pic below is making your tire/rim appear farther out than it really is. this is obviously a long distance purchase, so a test fit isn't possible. luckily, 2mils is hardly a difference from your ET25s.

    very much appreciate the information, guys. got some good info (and pics) from your site also, 2phast.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '92 500E - 199/blk, '97 C4S - blk/blk
    '87 911 - blk/tan, '86 951 - blk/blk
    '05 V70R - blk/tan

    past: '05 C2S, '93 RSA, '78 euro 928, '67 911, '70 914, '88 M3, '88 M5, '95 M3, '95 LTW, '74 02, '76 02, '95.5 S6, '04 S4 avant...

  5. #5
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    21,895

    Re: pushing limits of offset - anyone running anything this aggressive?

    I have 18x10.0 on the rear of my E500 with a 285 Conti DW. No clearance issues. Exact offset is unknown but I believe it is right around ET25. Photo below (with previous P-Zero tires, also 285).

    8.5" ET21 front should be fine. Make sure front & rear tire sizes match, i.e. 245 front with 275 rear, or 255 front / 285 rear.

    Next set of tires I get will likely be 245/275... I don't think the car really needs the wider rubber, and the bigger tyres are a couple pounds heavier too.

    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

  6. #6
    E500E Guru KarlC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Diego Ca
    Posts
    1,876

    Re: pushing limits of offset - anyone running anything this aggressive?

    I have 18 x 9 and 18 x 10 et35 all around, but I have bolt on spacers also, I think 20mm or 25mm. Back tires are 275/35/18

    Lots of good photos of my car and many others here .... https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5761
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KarlC; 07-14-2015 at 04:05 PM.
    1993 500E - 040 / 271 - Porsche Type 2758 ~~~~ 1971 250C Ivory / Cognac Leather

    Past Cars - 1994 E500 - 2003 CL600 V12TT by SPEEDRIVEN - 1994 E500 - 1995 E320 Cab - 1988 BMW M6 - 1994 E320 Cab

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KarlC For This Useful Post:

    Benz (04-26-2017), gsxr (07-14-2015), Marc R (09-07-2015)

  8. #7
    Site Admin
    auto enthusiast...
    Glen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Carlsbad, CA USA
    Posts
    2,755

    Re: pushing limits of offset - anyone running anything this aggressive?

    Karl, weren't your old 19" Brabus wheels 19 x 9, ET35 that you ran 20mm spacers with?

  9. #8
    Senior Member 500ebeebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    109

    Re: pushing limits of offset - anyone running anything this aggressive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen View Post
    Karl, weren't your old 19" Brabus wheels 19 x 9, ET35 that you ran 20mm spacers with?
    any pics of this set up around, karl? side view would be great.
    '92 500E - 199/blk, '97 C4S - blk/blk
    '87 911 - blk/tan, '86 951 - blk/blk
    '05 V70R - blk/tan

    past: '05 C2S, '93 RSA, '78 euro 928, '67 911, '70 914, '88 M3, '88 M5, '95 M3, '95 LTW, '74 02, '76 02, '95.5 S6, '04 S4 avant...

  10. #9
    E500E Guru sheward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cumming, Georgia
    Age
    62
    Posts
    2,330

    Re: pushing limits of offset - anyone running anything this aggressive?

    I have also run 18x10 et25 in rear on 285s without problems . The tire will not be outside the fender. I like the 275/245 sizes as well with a staggered setup.

    drew
    Drew
    92 500e 58,500 miles
    92 500e 180,000+ miles
    93 500e 179,000 miles sold
    92 500e 110,000 miles sold

  11. #10
    E500E Guru 2phast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Kirkland, Washington
    Posts
    1,689

    Re: pushing limits of offset - anyone running anything this aggressive?

    Quote Originally Posted by 500ebeebe View Post
    thanks for the replies. sorry if i had you mixed up with another car/owner, 2phast. i knew your car, but i thought i saw something about you running those 20mm spacers. i do have notes of your tire sizes, which also seem to match what glen runs and is suggesting - 245/40-18 and 275/35-18.

    i do have one question based on the photo below. if you are running 18x10 with 25mm offset (and a 275 tire), are you sure a 23mm offset won't sit just a bit too far out? i do want a flush look (and really like the wheel i'm considering), but i don't want it proud of the fender line (that always looks odd to me). i feel like it's going to be right at that limit. maybe the pic below is making your tire/rim appear farther out than it really is. this is obviously a long distance purchase, so a test fit isn't possible. luckily, 2mils is hardly a difference from your ET25s.

    very much appreciate the information, guys. got some good info (and pics) from your site also, 2phast.
    I don't expect a 2mm difference to cause any issues, especially with a 275 tire. I have no clearance issues and zero issues with rubbing and my car is lowered about 2"
    1993 500E
    http://2phast.com/500e/500e-sig.jpg

  12. #11
    Senior Member mwaldron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    136

    Re: pushing limits of offset - anyone running anything this aggressive?

    I have 18 X 10 ET 28 with 275's on the rear and they do rub ever so slightly with adults in the back of the car with the inner fenders rolled. No evidence on the tire, but leaves rubber on the very inner fender lip, I would say this is the limit (or slightly beyond).

  13. #12
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    21,895

    Re: pushing limits of offset - anyone running anything this aggressive?

    Quote Originally Posted by mwaldron View Post
    I have 18 X 10 ET 28 with 275's on the rear and they do rub ever so slightly with adults in the back of the car with the inner fenders rolled. No evidence on the tire, but leaves rubber on the very inner fender lip, I would say this is the limit (or slightly beyond).
    Is your car lowered, and/or is your SLS working correctly? With rear passengers, the SLS should engage to keep the rear end up and off the tires.


  14. #13
    Senior Member mwaldron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    136

    Re: pushing limits of offset - anyone running anything this aggressive?

    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    Is your car lowered, and/or is your SLS working correctly? With rear passengers, the SLS should engage to keep the rear end up and off the tires.

    Hi Dave,

    Not lowered, stock springs et al.

    SLS is probably not up to spec., but the rim edge is proud of the fender buy about the 2mm, I'm afraid when I add adjustable camber on the back it will make it worse though.

    Mark

  15. #14
    Senior Member 500ebeebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    109

    Re: pushing limits of offset - anyone running anything this aggressive?

    Quote Originally Posted by mwaldron View Post
    Hi Dave,

    Not lowered, stock springs et al.

    SLS is probably not up to spec., but the rim edge is proud of the fender buy about the 2mm, I'm afraid when I add adjustable camber on the back it will make it worse though.

    Mark
    very interesting that you would be proud of the fender by approx. 2mm with an ET28 and others are fine with ET25 with similar tires and possibly wider (285s in some cases). are you proud of the fenders on BOTH sides and getting rubbing on both sides when it happens?

    you don't happen to have pics, acute angle from the rear, of both sides, do you?
    '92 500E - 199/blk, '97 C4S - blk/blk
    '87 911 - blk/tan, '86 951 - blk/blk
    '05 V70R - blk/tan

    past: '05 C2S, '93 RSA, '78 euro 928, '67 911, '70 914, '88 M3, '88 M5, '95 M3, '95 LTW, '74 02, '76 02, '95.5 S6, '04 S4 avant...

  16. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    141

    Re: pushing limits of offset - anyone running anything this aggressive?

    I'm running 9.5x18 AMGs et23 and 275/35 Michelin PS3 in the rear, no rubbing issues.

  17. #16
    E500E explorer 500AMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,791

    Re: pushing limits of offset - anyone running anything this aggressive?

    Here is the wheel setup my '92 came on. Handles quite well, but too much tire stretch giving less wall flex IMO.


    -arnt-
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 500AMM; 09-08-2015 at 04:46 AM.
    Arnt
    '92 500E, 6.0 AMG, König SC, Black/black
    '94 E500 Limited, Sapphire black, 288 grey
    '92 500 TE, Silver/black (sold)

  18. #17
    E500E Guru KarlC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Diego Ca
    Posts
    1,876

    Re: pushing limits of offset - anyone running anything this aggressive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen View Post
    Karl, weren't your old 19" Brabus wheels 19 x 9, ET35 that you ran 20mm spacers with?
    The Brabus Mono III s are 19x9.5 ET35 and I this I was using 10mm spacers.


    Quote Originally Posted by 500ebeebe View Post
    any pics of this set up around, karl? side view would be great.
    I sold that car and the wheels to Tanger of this site, he has some photos here.....

    https://plus.google.com/photos/11815...LDYh8rqvYyiqAE
    1993 500E - 040 / 271 - Porsche Type 2758 ~~~~ 1971 250C Ivory / Cognac Leather

    Past Cars - 1994 E500 - 2003 CL600 V12TT by SPEEDRIVEN - 1994 E500 - 1995 E320 Cab - 1988 BMW M6 - 1994 E320 Cab

  19. #18
    Senior Member 500ebeebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    109

    Re: pushing limits of offset - anyone running anything this aggressive?

    Quote Originally Posted by 500AMM View Post
    Here is the wheel setup my '92 came on. Handles quite well, but too much tire stretch giving less wall flex IMO.
    damn!! a 10.5" on the front? even the 11.5" on the rear is impressive.
    '92 500E - 199/blk, '97 C4S - blk/blk
    '87 911 - blk/tan, '86 951 - blk/blk
    '05 V70R - blk/tan

    past: '05 C2S, '93 RSA, '78 euro 928, '67 911, '70 914, '88 M3, '88 M5, '95 M3, '95 LTW, '74 02, '76 02, '95.5 S6, '04 S4 avant...

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to 500ebeebe For This Useful Post:

    Benz (04-26-2017)

  21. #19
    E500E Guru captruff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    1,787

    Re: pushing limits of offset - anyone running anything this aggressive?

    I have runs BBS LM 19x10 front and 19X11 rear

    https://www.500eboard.com/forums/albu...achmentid=9560

    https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1454

    Also, modified Brabus III wheels, 19x10 front and 19x10.5 rear

    https://www.500eboard.com/forums/albu...achmentid=9563

    Jeff
    "Nice Things Cost Money" - Oskar Schindler

  22. #20
    Senior Member jeff0093's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Brookfield, CT
    Posts
    327

    Re: pushing limits of offset - anyone running anything this aggressive?

    Hi, Running 9 x 18 ET26 & 9.5 ET28 with 255/40 & 285/35 tires Michelin super sport which are wider them most tires in same size . Slight rub in the right rear up hill or on a big dip under full throttle. only happened three times.

  23. #21
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    21,895

    Re: pushing limits of offset - anyone running anything this aggressive?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeff0093 View Post
    Hi, Running 9 x 18 ET26 & 9.5 ET28 with 255/40 & 285/35 tires Michelin super sport which are wider them most tires in same size . Slight rub in the right rear up hill or on a big dip under full throttle. only happened three times.
    Interesting... tire sidewall profile might have some effect here. My 10x8.5 ET25 rear with 285/35 Conti has been rub-free thus far, but the tire does curve inward a bit.

    And yes, Jeff, I still have Neez envy.


  24. #22
    Senior Member 500ebeebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    109

    Re: pushing limits of offset - anyone running anything this aggressive?

    Quote Originally Posted by captruff View Post
    I have runs BBS LM 19x10 front and 19X11 rear

    Also, modified Brabus III wheels, 19x10 front and 19x10.5 rear
    ah, now i know who owns that car. those LMs are about as perfect as they can be - love the fit and look.

    the brabus look great too! shame brabus wheels are so heavy. i have a set of VI on my S500 and they're crazy heavy. hard for me to believe they'd manufacture such heavy wheels.
    '92 500E - 199/blk, '97 C4S - blk/blk
    '87 911 - blk/tan, '86 951 - blk/blk
    '05 V70R - blk/tan

    past: '05 C2S, '93 RSA, '78 euro 928, '67 911, '70 914, '88 M3, '88 M5, '95 M3, '95 LTW, '74 02, '76 02, '95.5 S6, '04 S4 avant...

  25. #23
    Senior Member 500ebeebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    109

    Re: pushing limits of offset - anyone running anything this aggressive?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeff0093 View Post
    Hi, Running 9 x 18 ET26 & 9.5 ET28 with 255/40 & 285/35 tires Michelin super sport which are wider them most tires in same size . Slight rub in the right rear up hill or on a big dip under full throttle. only happened three times.
    hard to believe a 9.5" ET28 would rub, even with a 285 with a wide section width. you know it's rubbing the fender and not the inner well?
    '92 500E - 199/blk, '97 C4S - blk/blk
    '87 911 - blk/tan, '86 951 - blk/blk
    '05 V70R - blk/tan

    past: '05 C2S, '93 RSA, '78 euro 928, '67 911, '70 914, '88 M3, '88 M5, '95 M3, '95 LTW, '74 02, '76 02, '95.5 S6, '04 S4 avant...

  26. #24
    Senior Member 500ebeebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    109

    Re: pushing limits of offset - anyone running anything this aggressive?

    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr View Post
    My 10x8.5 ET25 rear with 285/35 Conti has been rub-free thus far, but the tire does curve inward a bit.
    Contis - at least the DW and DWS - have a quite round profile to the sidewall. certainly helps in getting a big tire to swing inside the fender under compression.
    '92 500E - 199/blk, '97 C4S - blk/blk
    '87 911 - blk/tan, '86 951 - blk/blk
    '05 V70R - blk/tan

    past: '05 C2S, '93 RSA, '78 euro 928, '67 911, '70 914, '88 M3, '88 M5, '95 M3, '95 LTW, '74 02, '76 02, '95.5 S6, '04 S4 avant...

  27. #25
    E500E Resto God
    Hierarki-Man
    lowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Stavanger, NORWAY
    Posts
    1,932

    Re: pushing limits of offset - anyone running anything this aggressive?

    can anyone give me their opinion on 17x8,5 et17 and 17x10 et 18.......would those wheels work well on my 500e?

  28. #26
    .036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin
    gsxr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Boise, ID, USA
    Posts
    21,895

    Re: pushing limits of offset - anyone running anything this aggressive?

    Quote Originally Posted by lowman View Post
    can anyone give me their opinion on 17x8,5 et17 and 17x10 et 18.......would those wheels work well on my 500e?
    They will work great. 245 front / 275 rear tires.

    If these are 3-piece AMG wheels, make sure there are NO hairline cracks near the bolt holes... or you will have a very expensive paperweight.


  29. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

    lowman (09-06-2015)

  30. #27
    E500E Guru Benz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Chicago IL
    Posts
    777

    Re: pushing limits of offset - anyone running anything this aggressive?

    love this setup are those Replicas ? and are you on springs or cut coils ?
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
    I have 18 x 9 and 18 x 10 et35 all around, but I have bolt on spacers also, I think 20mm or 25mm. Back tires are 275/35/18

    Lots of good photos of my car and many others here .... https://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5761

Similar Threads

  1. 17" amg oz offset question
    By Mikelu in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-11-2014, 03:07 PM
  2. How strict are the cops in your area on speed limits?
    By Da Big Tuna in forum Off-Topic Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-17-2014, 10:33 PM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-01-2013, 12:54 PM
  4. Proper offset for a flush look
    By Hi-Power in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-06-2012, 03:04 AM
  5. BBS RC 18x8.5 32mm Offset
    By Hollybrook in forum Wanted to Buy
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-26-2011, 08:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •