Thread: Fuel leak while running (Hose replacement info)

Exclamation Fuel leak while running (Hose replacement info)

Rushed to get my son to school yesterday and I smelled a strong odor of fuel when my son opened the door to get in and out of my '92 500E. I was going to drive the car to work, but the smell was too strong. I drove it back to my house, got out and saw a trail of gasoline leaving my driveway and a puddle where I idled while waiting for my son to get in the car.

I immediately parked it and jumped in my other car to rush to work. I haven't had a chance to inspect it yet, but wondering if you guys have an idea where the weak point is and what it could be potentially.

It looked like it was leaking from the rear, just mid- of the driver's side. Again, it was only leaking while the car was running and I didn't smell fuel from inside the car--only outside. And it was really pouring out while running.

It is always stored in my garage (not now tho) and I never smelled fuel or saw any drips or puddling.

Thanks,
    Max

Re: '92 500E Fuel Leak while running

Quote Originally Posted by makemann View Post
    Rushed to get my son to school yesterday and I smelled a strong odor of fuel when my son opened the door to get in and out of my '92 500E. I was going to drive the car to work, but the smell was too strong. I drove it back to my house, got out and saw a trail of gasoline leaving my driveway and a puddle where I idled while waiting for my son to get in the car.

I immediately parked it and jumped in my other car to rush to work. I haven't had a chance to inspect it yet, but wondering if you guys have an idea where the weak point is and what it could be potentially.

It looked like it was leaking from the rear, just mid- of the driver's side. Again, it was only leaking while the car was running and I didn't smell fuel from inside the car--only outside. And it was really pouring out while running.

It is always stored in my garage (not now tho) and I never smelled fuel or saw any drips or puddling.

Thanks,
    Max
    Probably a small leak in a high-pressure fuel hose. You will have to remove four or so plastic nuts from a plastic panel under the car. It is in the area below and slightly rear of the right rear seat.
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Klink For This Useful Post:

ccrelan (12-18-2015), gsxr (03-20-2017), makemann (12-18-2015)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Klink read my mind. The high-pressure hose from the fuel filter outlet, to the 'hard line' pipe on the body/frame, is a common leaker. Make sure to only replace with an OE/dealer hose. Inspect the other hoses while you're in there, particularly the large diameter hose from the fuel tank to the pump inlet, if there are visible cracks I'd change it on principle.

Pics below... differential removed for clarity.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)
    1987 300D (Sportline Stage 2)
    Click here for my website
    Click here for my YouTube channel

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

500AMM (12-30-2015), Benz (03-19-2017), Hakie (01-10-2016), Klink (12-18-2015), makemann (12-18-2015), TerryA (12-18-2015)

Wow! As always, thanks for the photos and explanation, Gixxer.
    Putting the fun in dysfunction...

Thanks gentlemen! I'll take care of it this weekend.
    Max

Received the replacement hose this past week. Sure enough, it was just as you suspected. Repaired it easy peasy in a few minutes. Thank you guys.

Looks like it was rubbing against the undercarriage and finally gave way.
    Last edited by makemann; 01-09-2016 at 03:51 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to makemann For This Useful Post:

Benz (03-19-2017)

I just did this job.

You will need:
    1. Two 17mm box end wrenches.
    2. One 14 mm box end wrench.
    3. 10mm socket with an extension.
    4. Fuel hose # A 124 470 80 75
    List $117 Gainsville MB price $88

You must first get access to the plastic encapsulation panel sitting below the right rear passenger seat.
    I tried ramps, but my exhaust tips were not quite clearing the ramps, so I borrowed a friends lift.

From the lift, it is easy.

1. Remove 4 10mm nuts from the plastic encapsulation panel housing the fuel filter and hose.
    2. With both 17mm wrenches, loosen the hose from the fuel filter.
    3. With the 17mm and 14mm wrenches, loosen the other end of the fuel line.
    4. Wait a few minutes for the fuel to leak out of the hose and filter.
    5. After the fuel quits dripping, unscrew the hose from the filter, then unscrew the top part of the hose. At the top of the hose, the 14mm is the side that unscrews, not the big 17mm part of the hose.
    6. Observe how the hose is routed so you can remember how to install new one.
    7. Push the hose upward out of it's clip at the bracket above the fuel filter and pull hose through.
    8. Install new hose in reverse order.
    9. Make sure both connections are snug, start car, and look for leaks.
    Last edited by Trae; 02-19-2016 at 11:53 AM.
    Trae
    1992 500E Renntech
    1993 500E
    1990 560SEC/ 2001 SL500
    1991 560SEC ECE/1995 E320 Cabriolet

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Trae For This Useful Post:

gsxr (02-19-2016)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by Trae View Post
    4. Fuel hose # 124-470-80-75
    List $117 Gainsville MB price $88
    This hose spiked in price as of Jan-2016. It had been around $42 list for the past few years, and as Trae noted it nearly tripled in price to $117 list.

MARCH 2018 UPDATE: Price is still $117 list, Naperville has it for $87 with free shipping:
    https://www.mboemparts.com/oem-parts...rub-1244708075

That said, buyer beware! I ordered a CRP brand hose from AHAZ. CRP Automotive is the parent company of Conti. At $21, it was too tempting not to try, since the OE hose is Conti and I expected an OEM hose. Unfortunately, I received a Trucktec hose, see photos below. I returned it & bought the OE hose instead. AHAZ claimed that Trucktec was acquired by CRP/Conti, so their listing the brand as CRP was technically accurate. However I was unable to find any evidence to prove this, AFAICT, Trucktec has no relation with CRP/Conti. The CRP Automotive site (click here) does not mention Trucktec anywhere. Interestingly, AHAZ now shows the CRP hose on "backorder". [Nov-2017 update: AHAZ and all other aftermarket vendors currently show a "Cohline" hose for ~$20, I expect this is the same junk described above and pictured below.]

OCTOBER 2018 UPDATE: The Cohline-branded hose available appears to be legit, details & photos at this link:
    https://www.500eboard.com/forums/sho...l=1#post174169

Anyway - as you can see in the photos below, it is worth paying for the Genuine Mercedes hose.

Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

8899 (02-20-2016), DarkStar (06-29-2018), Eno (03-18-2017), Hakie (03-18-2018), J-Sauce (02-19-2016), lowman (07-28-2016), samiam44 (04-29-2016)

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by makemann View Post
    Received the replacement hose this past week. Sure enough, it was just as you suspected. Repaired it easy peasy in a few minutes. Thank you guys.

Looks like it was rubbing against the undercarriage and finally gave way.
    makemann, from your photo, it appears that was an aftermarket hose - not OE. I bet it wasn't very old either.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

makemann (02-19-2016)

What is involved in changing the fuel strainer in the tank?

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

Factory procedure for the .036 attached.

43915.gif
    Attached Files Attached Files

Any recommended hoses I should change while there?

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

At this age, ALL fuel hoses should be changed on ALL E500Es. This is a significant part of the deferred maintenance regimen that most all of our cars are carrying. I'm talking about the hoses at the fuel pump bundle, and the fuel supply and return hoses that run up to the engine bay. And fuel tank vent hoses.

The condition of the fuel lines of my 560SEC and my former E320 wagon completely convinced me that this job is REQUIRED maintenance. Running on original lines is risking what Klink calls a "CAR-B-Q"

43915.gif

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

Eno (03-18-2017), Klink (03-20-2017), Taxi Driver (04-29-2016)

Can someone chime in with the part number for the feed hose and the fuel assembly hangers?

E500E Resto God
    Hierarki-Man

not to argue the necessity of replacing fuel lines...BUT it really comes down to the enviroment also...I reckon ALL the USA cars...really need to replace them..because of the hotter climate for the most part of these cars
    But i can see that on mine..there is not even a single crack in any of the fuel line/tubes.and rubber is tight and "soft"..and mine is from Germany .
    but its all about checking the condition of these fuel lines..
    But a good thing to replace them if you find any cracking..rather before than after really

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lowman For This Useful Post:

Eno (03-18-2017), Klink (03-20-2017)

E500E Guru

Gerry,

I thought the engine compartment hoses were NLA for these cars? If we got serious interest, I could probably get a run made.

Michael

25. The Following User Says Thank You to samiam44 For This Useful Post:

lowman (07-28-2016)

Re: Cranking issue with e500

ok so my main fuel feed hose from the tank has some cracks in it. What are the part numbers for the main feed, high pressure hoses and the rubber grommet where the hose meets the tank. Please

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

High pressure hose info is discussed previously in this thread.

The feed hose from the tank is shown in the attached photo with part number.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

DarkStar (06-29-2018), Eno (08-18-2016), gerryvz (08-18-2016), Klink (03-20-2017)

ok cool ty. trying to avoid a car b que

Re: Fuel leak while running (Hose replacement info)

Replaced the 124-470-80-75 soft line between pumps filter and hardline and the other lines looked ok. Tested it and no leaks...

Two months later (haven't really driven it much) I am dealing with SLS issues and notice a stream of gasoline dripping from the pumps... I think I have a leaky pump.
    I tightened the connections on the hardline where it connects the filter to the pumps. That was snug and made no difference.
    Further inspection reveals it is time to replace the big line from the tank to the pump, see some hairline cracks just starting.
    Also noticed a slight crack in the rubber on the line between the pumps.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkStar For This Useful Post:

gsxr (06-29-2018), TerryA (06-29-2018)

Any idea as to the availability and PN of the metal / rubber hose that connects the output of pump1 to the input of pump2?

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
    Any idea as to the availability and PN of the metal / rubber hose that connects the output of pump1 to the input of pump2?
    P/N is 129-470-06-64 and MB Classic does not show anything, which isn't a good sign... however, you'll need to contact a dealer and ask them to check worldwide inventory in Paragon. If available, Naperville has it for $52.

https://www.mboemparts.com/oem-parts...ank-1294700664
    Dave M.
    1997 E420 (Bugeyes)
    1994 E420 (Blondie)
    1994 E500 (Q-ship)
    1992 500E (Mach 5)

34. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

sheward (06-30-2018)

Darkstar: Regarding fuel line 129 470 06 64...I only recently replaced this line plus others on my 94 E320. Just called my dealers Parts counter to check for you. Line is still available but... only two left in the states!

Regards,

Peter Weissman

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geraniumtr For This Useful Post:

DarkStar (06-30-2018), gsxr (06-30-2018), sheward (06-30-2018)

Thanks Guys!

What a crazy design! 20mm of rubber guaranteed to go bad...

Any suggestions as to tools to remove/replace the line out of the fuel tank? I figure I can cut the rubber hose and get a deep socket on the fitting to get it off.
    Without removing the differential, I think it will be tight getting any leverage on it with an open end wrench.

I ordered the parts and hope to do it next week if they show up.

.036 Hoonigan™
    E500E Boffin

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
    Any suggestions as to tools to remove/replace the line out of the fuel tank? I figure I can cut the rubber hose and get a deep socket on the fitting to get it off.
    Without removing the differential, I think it will be tight getting any leverage on it with an open end wrench.

I ordered the parts and hope to do it next week if they show up.
    The tank hose is a PITA to replace. The best option is to drop the differential, if you have ANY excuse to do so... tiniest sign of a weeping seal? Pull the diff.

With the diff in place, you have to get really creative. From memory, I had to slide an open-end wrench under the tank from inside the trunk, with the vertical trunk carpet pulled, to break it free... then try to get my hands around the diff to unscrew the hose from the tank strainer. Don't cross-thread when installing the new hose! IIRC, there were issues trying to fit any open-end wrench above the diff, with the other fuel/brake/SLS lines in the way.

As a bonus, the factory-specified crow-foot wrench doesn't fit... it can't slide over the metal neck of the hose. Might have the same problem with a socket, if you cut the hose, and besides you'll need practice working it with the hose intact. See photo in post #3 with the diff out.

Oh, getting the rubber booty back in place is fun too. Just wait, you'll see!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to gsxr For This Useful Post:

JC220 (07-05-2018)

Site Honcho
    Klugscheisser
    Ich bekenne mich
    nicht schuldig.

GSXR takes great schadenfreude in others performing difficult jobs. I seem to remember him doing same when I did a certain tandem pump removal and replacement job.

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerryvz For This Useful Post:

DarkStar (07-05-2018), gsxr (07-05-2018)

Thanks GSXR! Always a wealth of knowledge and a ray of sunshine! . GVZ - you know misery loves company!

I have a long term plan to rebuild the rear suspension, have most of the parts for suspension and subframe mounts but was not looking forward to a long project in the middle of 100F + temps and 90% humidity.

I was looking at HVAC systems for the garage....might have to pull the trigger on that project instead of a lift.

DarkStar - it is a bit toasty here. With all the rain here in H-Town, I did the R/R of my fuel block on the SEC yesterday as the ambient temps dropped to the low 80's. The only gas that I spilled was out of the filter and the two fuel pumps; as expected.
    1994 E500
    249/275 - 8F19 or 8F32 or 8320

1991 560 SEC
    199/268
    2014 E350 Cab 799/264

45. The Following User Says Thank You to nocfn For This Useful Post:

DarkStar (07-05-2018)